Fighting in waves - feature or a bug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeffy29

Recruit
Hi, been playing Perisno (0.74) for few days and I constantly see a thing that I have never seen in other mods/native warband. Here is the scenario, you have 200 cavalry force and opponent has 300 weak troops, when you fight and are winning, their troops eventually stop spawning, not because they escape but because the game stop spawning all of their troops. What happens next is after you win the battle and get a casualty screen, you immediately get a new screen to fight remaining troops. I noticed the game always preserves AI troops around 130 then 44 and then 2-3. Again these are not troops that escaped during battle but troops that were not spawned during the battle. If AI stops spawning them because it predicts they lost the battle, then why it instantly offers me remaining troops to fight against?

I find this pretty annoying since against big enemies you fight atleast 2-3 times, is there a way to turn it off? This problem war pretty hard to describe, so if you don't understand what I mean, please tell me and i will try to clarify it further.

Jeffy29 said:
Hi, been playing Perisno (0.74) for few days and I constantly see a thing that I have never seen in other mods/native warband. Here is the scenario, you have 200 cavalry force and opponent has 300 weak troops, when you fight and are winning, their troops eventually stop spawning, not because they escape but because the game stop spawning all of their troops. What happens next is after you win the battle and get a casualty screen, you immediately get a new screen to fight remaining troops. I noticed the game always preserves AI troops around 130 then 44 and then 2-3. Again these are not troops that escaped during battle but troops that were not spawned during the battle. If AI stops spawning them because it predicts they lost the battle, then why it instantly offers me remaining troops to fight against?

I find this pretty annoying since against big enemies you fight atleast 2-3 times, is there a way to turn it off? This problem war pretty hard to describe, so if you don't understand what I mean, please tell me and i will try to clarify it further.

It's neither a feature nor a bug, simply the way vanilla M&B works. Each battle has a certain number of reinforcement waves, and when one side runs out you will need to battle again to continue. I'm not exactly sure the reason as to why, and it can be changed (many mods do change it). Most people use the battle size changer so this "issue" isn't really a problem, but I'll add it to the list of stuff I need to take a look at.

Increase battle size and your problem is solved. Of course number of reinforcement waves can be increased but that would make your battle much harder against bigger armies.

I prefer to increase the number of waves to unlimited or to have a feature allowing to change this number in settings. So I can hide my character in a corner of a map and do something while my army fights :grin:

When you fight against 1700 army it is a little exhausting to wait when every battle finished and press "charge army" again. the whole fight can lasts 40-60 minutes.

Otherwise, second battle restores health of a player and his companions depending on medic's skill. And this is a little advantage for a player. But this restoring health works only one time. So the third battle your heatlh remain the same.

sunsstorm said:
I prefer to increase the number of waves to unlimited or to have a feature allowing to change this number in settings. So I can hide my character in a corner of a map and do something while my army fights :grin:

When you fight against 1700 army it is a little exhausting to wait when every battle finished and press "charge army" again. the whole fight can lasts 40-60 minutes.

Otherwise, second battle restores health of a player and his companions depending on medic's skill. And this is a little advantage for a player. But this restoring health works only one time. So the third battle your heatlh remain the same.

I see, that seems like a good enough reason to add it for me, and it shouldn't be difficult to do. Expect to see an option for changing the number of reinforcement waves in the game settings for 0.75

habeo123 said:
Increase battle size and your problem is solved.

Not everyone likes/can play with big battle size....
For both me and my PC, 150 is a top.
So it would be great if the number of reinforcement waves was increased.  :grin:
Since I played a couple of modules with virtually unlimited number of waves, I just can't play modules where I have to start new rounds again and again.

Zephilinox said:
I see, that seems like a good enough reason to add it for me, and it shouldn't be difficult to do. Expect to see an option for changing the number of reinforcement waves in the game settings for 0.75
Thank you!
Just a question,
the size of the enemy waves recalculated every battle (and your reinforcements too) depending on the size of the remaining troops and tactics skill.
if there is no limitation in the amount of waves, then what about the recalculation of the size of the waves?
will it be always the same and calculated at the beginning? or the size of the waves will be dynamic and will be recalculated, for example each 3 waves. I think the second is too difficult :smile: I don't mind if waves won't be recalculated... if it is possible to change thier number

sunsstorm said:
Zephilinox said:
Thank you!
Just a question,
the size of the enemy waves recalculated every battle (and your reinforcements too) depending on the size of the remaining troops and tactics skill.
if there is no limitation in the amount of waves, then what about the recalculation of the size of the waves?
will it be always the same and calculated at the beginning? or the size of the waves will be dynamic and will be recalculated, for example each 3 waves. I think the second is too difficult :smile: I don't mind if waves won't be recalculated... if it is possible to change thier number

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but if you are talking about the number of troops that arrive with each wave of reinforcements it isn't affected by tactics, it's just a constant number (somewhere between 6 and 8 depending on the mission) even in vanilla.

I've added the following 3 options to 0.75

[ADDED]      Option to change reinforcement wave amount
[ADDED]      Option to change reinforcement threshold amount
[ADDED]      Option to change reinforcement troop amount

waves are self-explanatory
threshold is the limit at which a new wave arrives (e.g if you have it set to 8 and the enemy has 7 troops, a new wave will arrive)
troop amount is how many troops will appear in each wave (ignores the battle size, so you can set it as high as you want)

If your computer can handle it I would recommend using this tool which allows to to raise your battle limit.  http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1761 You have to play with the bar to see how high you can go, and might have a few crashes if you set it too high.  I have mine set at 295 units in a fight.

Back
Top Bottom