SP - Battles & Sieges Field battle complaints

Users who are viewing this thread

Doofus

Sergeant
1) - When you control an army & are fighting a battle with a friendly army assisting, The friendly army seems to just sit back and wait for you to lose all your army's troops before joining in. Sometimes this is a sort of misconception as the other army is just having its archers fire until they run out of arrows. Other times it seems like it is truly deciding not to help you at all in the battle until all your troops are gone. While the 'use all your arrows first' logic is, indeed somewhat logical, they can be doing this even when you have 2-3 times the number of troops of the enemy. As a real life strategy it makes decent sense (although the enemy army can be firing back with just as much determination) but from a game play perspective its very annoying. A battle that you should win easily in 5-10 minutes is now going to take 1/2 hour or more and if it gains you an advantage, it may only gain you 2-3 extra troops at the end. The game already takes too long to get to a win situation (where your empire controls all territories). If I let the AI control the battles this way it could easily take 2-3 times as long to get a win.

2) - When you are fighting a fairly large battle with 6-10 parties, or more, involved on your side, it seems the game logic wants to limit your involvement early. As an example, if its a battle with 900 troops on my side, my party is 300 troops and 6 other lords average 100 troops each in their parties, it would be logical to have my troops be 1/3rd of the troops fighting for my side at the start. Then when reinforcements come in, I should get 1/3rd of the reinforcements. Instead, it seems like I'm lucky if I get even a 10th of the troops on the field and many times when reinforcements arrive none of my troops are a part of the reinforcements. I have had times in battles where after I lose 5 or 6 troops in the initial flourish and I am the only member of my party left on the field, then when reinforcements come in I get none from my party. I remain the only member of my party on the field. Considering that my troops (on average) are probably higher level/more experienced than any of my fellow lord's parties this makes no sense at all and results in much higher losses to the army as a whole. Logically, an army should be sending in its most experienced troops first as they are better fighters, will damage the enemy more, and are less likely to panic and flee than rookie troops. While I agree from a player standpoint I'll probably lose more of my party's troops if they are in the battle early, the army as a whole will generally need less replenishment after the battle (assuming a win) if the stronger troops are in first. I'll also mention that if the enemy, AI controlled, army is sending its best troops in first (and they always seem to) then why isn't my army putting its best troops in first?

1) Use your ranged to pull the enemy force to the allied force.
2) The game generaly prefers other lords troops over the players, but you can change it in the options menu to "high tier troops first ", if your troops are mostly high tier they should spawn first.

Thanks. I was unaware of #2, I'll have to check that out, although if that means I'm the one getting all the losses thats not really ideal either. Regarding #1; again, while thats somewhat logical and makes sense in a close battle or a battle where I'm the underdog. But when I have 3 times the troops I'd rather just roll over them and be done with it. I wouldn't mind it so much if you could speed up the game while no one but archers are doing anything for 10 minutes, then change back to regular speed when they are done.

I used to think as you do regarding seeing so few of my own (high tier) troops involved early in the battle. Yet as I reflected (and did a bit of reading) on medieval battle strategy, I realise this is actually fairly accurate.
Why waste a high level, expensive to train, veteran early in a battle, when a low level troop may get lucky and take out an enemy high level troop? Also, your veteran will eventually become tired and go down after sustaining (many) minor injuries, but will go down.
Medieval strategy was to throw the fodder, or conscripts, serfs, militia first, to wear down the enemy forces, maybe get in a few lucky kills, and mostly, disrupt the enemy cavalry with pikes/hay forks, etc. And keep the elite forces in reserve to attack late as shock troops, and swing the tide of battle. They would flank, etc. to get in position to catch enemy unawares.

So, I have seen scenes where my forces, who are drooped in a the very end, will basically slaughter the scattered enemy on the battle field when they arrive as they fight more disciplined, in better formation (they swarm scattered forces). And we end wining by quite a margin, with very few elite forces los.

Mind you, I do use Improved Combat AI, which makes troops smarter.

I'll admit that I've won many battles that were close near the end by losing very few at the end. My 100 or so remaining troops take out the last 200-300, basically on their own, losing only 20-30 troops. However, ask yourself this... If Medieval strategy was to throw the fodder at the enemy first, why isn't the enemy AI doing that? The recruit level forces are always the last forces the enemy throws at you. Seems like the AI strategy of my allied forces should be the same as the AI strategy of the enemy forces.

Who knows why the AI does anything?? LOL. Just check the endless number of comments and complaints about how dumb and stupid the game AI is.
There is an option in "Campaign Options" for deciding on the troops to be sent, yet it only affects YOUR armies (not even your clan or faction benefits from your intelligence)

Ai is terrible, unless you or the ai can win the battle on your own or you are in command of an army don't bother helping.

Back
Top Bottom