Fief upgrade (maybe reading) speeds

Users who are viewing this thread

A minor suggestion only.  Currently, at engineer skill ten, it takes 103 days for the village fiefs to upgrade even one aspect of the fief.  I know that makes sense realistically, but from a gameplay point of view, its quite excessive.  Likewise, the time it takes to read a book is far too long for it to be practical, at least with current time-lapse speeds.  If there was a way to speed up time much more than camping, then starving out opponents, reading books, and upgrading might be worth it, but for now, it simply takes too long.

For example, after thirty days, I've gotten up to level 26, can fight two warparties (or more, depending on terrain) simultaneously, and have taken two castles.  Even using char import/export to get engineer up to 10, I still have eighty-three more days to finish upgrading my granted fief to a watchtower.  This includes time where I just waited for several days.  A bit excessive, in my opinion.

Merentha said:
Currently, at engineer skill ten, it takes 103 days for the village fiefs to upgrade even one aspect of the fief.  I know that makes sense realistically,
Only if they're paying by the hour. I could dig my own fishpond in less than a day, and still have time for beers afterwards :razz:

Would make sense though.

I know it is not realistic, but I think this is the point between fun and realism. I don't want to wait 84 days for ONE thing to upgrade.

I don't want to wait 30 days to read a BOOK! I shouldn't have to wait 30 days to read a book.

Archonsod said:
Merentha said:
Currently, at engineer skill ten, it takes 103 days for the village fiefs to upgrade even one aspect of the fief.  I know that makes sense realistically,
Only if they're paying by the hour. I could dig my own fishpond in less than a day, and still have time for beers afterwards :razz:

Would make sense though.
Well, maybe for a manor.  A watchtower should take a week at most, a good village-sized fishpond maybe two, and a school or manor maybe start at three months each.

As an addendum to the suggestion, different upgrades should have different creation times. 

EasyCo506 said:
I know it is not realistic, but I think this is the point between fun and realism. I don't want to wait 84 days for ONE thing to upgrade.

I don't want to wait 30 days to read a BOOK! I shouldn't have to wait 30 days to read a book.

In general, I fight against the time-lapse mentality.
I can't see where the upgrades should be so very
easy, time wise, though maybe there should be
a way to hire professional crews (rather than the
mere villagers) to increase the speed, at significant
cost.

Reading also. What are you doing most of the time
with your character? If you're sitting in your home,
studying and attempting to apply the information in
a book completely, a month is not unreasonable. Reading
by limited light of campfires, and in stolen moments from
your army, should probably be HARDER, if anything.

It's gameplay value though. If all you're doing is sitting twiddling your thumbs while you wait for a book to be read or the fief to upgrade you're going to be bored quite quickly. If you're like me and it's rare for the same character to see more than a week or two in game time at the most then you'd never see a fief upgrade.  Either speed up construction to be more in line with healing rate and similar, or else provide some incentive/activity to the player while they're waiting.

The uppgrade are really slow... I have played two days having a fief in that time i have taken 3 castles and gone up 7-8 lvls, i have still to see an uppgrade to finish.

I think it should be like this:

If you use more money the building should be finished earlier. Of course this should have limits to prevent things like: " 100 gold the building will finish in 300 days" or with "100 000 gold it will take a day." I have no idea how much buildings cost is the new version so these are only examples

Increase building speeds, BUT also allow buildings to be destroyed when the village is looted. This would reduce the annoyance factor, without making it too easy to get a superwtfomglolinternets fully upgraded fief.

The above option is good, too. I would like to see more money = faster building.

Anything would be better.

I made time scale so big a day passed by in six seconds, but only when I was resting. I couldn't do anything else, otherwise it would take too long. And it still felt like forever! It is good to know they do something, and that you can see the buildings as well.

But it is so boring. I feel this should be a case where we drop realism and just say they are super builders, anything is better than this.

A large additional outlay could
improve the time. But, it essentially
means importing workers, or neglecting
other duties. So, there'd still be SOME limit.

There isn't much that should take less than a
couple of weeks, no matter what.

Depending on what you're building, in my opinion.  I mean, myself and four other people can throw up a watchtower in maybe three days, with standard 4x4s already built, and that's not even working full time.  Double that for wood prep, and that's six to seven days, with five semi-skilled near-high-school students working about four hours a day. 

Given that you can defeat hundreds or thousands of enemy troops in a matter of weeks, spending several months to build a filthy wall is ridiculous.

Either the combat-based speed (troop spawning, upgrade, fighting) has to slow down or the building has to speed up.

fisheye said:
Given that you can defeat hundreds or thousands of enemy troops in a matter of weeks, spending several months to build a filthy wall is ridiculous.

Either the combat-based speed (troop spawning, upgrade, fighting) has to slow down or the building has to speed up.

Indeed. I've read a book in which a village was going to be attacked by a "group of bad guys" the following day. The most effective way they had to defend themselves was to build a wall. It took just 24 hours of full work. Of course, they were like a thousand people, but still. Think about it... building a wall is not that complicated.

Maybe you could divide the village wokrforce, and economy and food production would slow down, and construction speed goes up.

This might sounds strange, but why not ask for expert opinion? (Read a book about it, or talk with a Historian?)

That way you can learn about the "real time" it takes and on that acount you can alter the time acordingly to match the gameplay speed.

:grin:

Back
Top Bottom