Fellow Mettenheim Soldiers , gather around and share tips and tricks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

sumusiko

Veteran
Gonna try a Mettenheim type of soldier (1h+shield + 2h) foot soldier.

Expecting it to be a pain in the arse :razz:

sumusiko said:
Gonna try a Mettenheim type of soldier (1h+shield + 2h) foot soldier.

Expecting it to be a pain in the arse :razz:

No , no , no , no , no .  That's for girls . A true Mettenheim warrior uses only a two-hander ( Preferably a Mettenheim Dueling Sword ) and only Mettenheim Armor .  A shield ? That's for pussies !

And with a mustache so female characters not welcome.  Unless you got a female with a mustache then it's ok.

Also, get decent pathfinding or have fun not catching anything or not outrunning anything (ie Eyegrim or Maltise)

True Mettenheim Style has the main character in heavy armour with a 2hander only (no shields, no throwing, no bows, no xbows), and ALWAYS on foot. You will learn to truly prize the Athletics trait.

Your armies must also be exclusively infantry - at the start of every battle your first action must be to order everyone to dismount. Your soldiers may however use any weapons you desire, they just cannot use horses.

Lack of moustache is not even an option. It's always Movember in Mettenheim.

More information here; http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,162850.msg3943503.html#msg3943503

Tried a Mettenheim style army once....  Eugh, I got slaughtered.  Although my KotEG fared quite well, without cavalry support it got ugly fast.  I don't understand how those Mettenheim war parties can be so dang EFFECTIVE.

i had a very successful game as a pure foot archer game, i had no cavalry no infantry only a mix of xbows and bows, and all companions where also on foot ofc
its hard to start but after your 1st castle u rule.
master at siege and castle defence!

CrymsonChaos said:
I don't understand how those Mettenheim war parties can be so dang EFFECTIVE.
Real Mettenheim troops have some of the heaviest armors in the game.  And pretty high levels (minimum 30) so they're also pretty good in autocalc.

Bravado said:
CrymsonChaos said:
I don't understand how those Mettenheim war parties can be so dang EFFECTIVE.
Real Mettenheim troops have some of the heaviest armors in the game.  And pretty high levels (minimum 30) so they're also pretty good in autocalc.

Don't forget those insanely powerful swords. They'll tear you apart in melee.
Tried to crush a Mettenheim party (I think it was the Freikorps, but I'm not sure) with heavy cavalry only. It was frickin' BRUTAL. The moment we got stuck in the fray, a shimmering forest of blades ripped me and my men to shreds.

I still have nightmares from those Moustaches of Doom...

CrymsonChaos said:
Tried a Mettenheim style army once....  Eugh, I got slaughtered.  Although my KotEG fared quite well, without cavalry support it got ugly fast.  I don't understand how those Mettenheim war parties can be so dang EFFECTIVE.

Interesting, I don't tend to have much trouble with Mettenheim Style anymore, but that might be because I am just so used to doing it. Archer-heavy parties can be challenging (so Ravenstern can get nasty). What was it that gave you issue? If it was enemy cavalry then you're defiantly using your infantry wrong.

STAND CLOSER!

Mightyena-Lucario said:
Tried to crush a Mettenheim party (I think it was the Freikorps, but I'm not sure) with heavy cavalry only. It was frickin' BRUTAL. The moment we got stuck in the fray, a shimmering forest of blades ripped me and my men to shreds.

Properly done, Mettenheim are the ultimate bane of cavalry armies, especially heavy cavalry. Although the Jatu are a serious thorn for most playstyles, for Mettenheim they are a cash cow, pure and simple. Challenge is in catching them, they tend to flee when they see hordes of heavy horse hating infantry :razz:

M0rdred said:
Mightyena-Lucario said:

Properly done, Mettenheim are the ultimate bane of cavalry armies, especially heavy cavalry. Although the Jatu are a serious thorn for most playstyles, for Mettenheim they are a cash cow, pure and simple. Challenge is in catching them, they tend to flee when they see hordes of heavy horse hating infantry :razz:

Yeah, I learned that the hard way.  :grin:
Gotta keep a bunch of Mounted Rangers / Hero Adventurers / Noldor troops just in case they show up again. Only way to stop a horde of angry germanesque 'staches.  :razz:

Some related questions:
In native warband some elite troops(huscarls, for example) count as cavalry for the purpose of calculating campaign map movement speed.
Does that come automatically with athletics >=7, or is it a flag on the troops? I do not have morgh's handy so can't check myself :sad:
If most elite infantry are treated as horsemen it'd definitely be much less frustrating trying to catch armies.

Also, last time I checked I didn't see pendor greatsword/zweihander as a weapon option for the cko troops(they have the required strength).
Am I missing something, do they have to be unlocked? If they can't be used by cko, where should I look to enable them?
The high-end axe models look a bit silly, and I'd like to use the ~150 reach anyway.

Does anyone know exactly how weapon switching works?
If I give troops shields/military hammers and 2-handers:
- will they automatically switch to shields when under ranged fire
- will they switch to the 70 reach hammers in the front rows of a clump
- will the back rows use the longer weapons
I've seen source code excerpts related to damage calculations, can I look it up somewhere or was that just info coming from the devs?

Who´s telling such heresy?
Wether a troop counts as cavalry or not depends on it´s horse. If it got one granted, it´s a cavalry unit. With increased upkeep wages for the horsie.

What effects map campaign speed overall at most is the amount of pack horses (up to 6, more is useless), your army composition, your inventory weight load and ulitmately and most importantly, your pathfinding skill.

Pendor Greatswords aren´t useable on horseback. So if your knights should use them, equip such items (like, the Siege Crossbow) to them BEFORE you give them a horse.

Your troops won´t automatically switch weapons. They´ll end up with a mix, as each trooper has a certain chance to get a certain item as only one melee weapon IS granted for infantry, but not two.

So you´ll get a large portion using hammers and shields and 2h swords together with some who get 2 slots of weapons and use them accordingly - the AI is pretty weak there.
Plus the better forum for such a question is the Forge section of Warband, as people roaming there may point you to a better explanation backed up by actual science, field tests or pieces of eight code. Sometimes you get pure gold there, which is less likely here.

http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Party_Speed
This was just the first google hit, it was quite a long time ago so I don't remember but it's all over the place with the inventory horse number calculations.
In native the huscarls and rhodok sharpshooters are definitely cavalry for campaign movement, nvm I'll just check next time I get home.

Infantry can have multiple melee weapons and they do switch. An example that I know of are the vanskerries.
While you do not have a blunt lance the 2-handed axes are a pain in the ass so you'll notice the switches between the short 1 handers and those beasts.

Thanks for the horse tip, a bit silly but my knights only have saddle horses so if they can be removed not too big a loss.
I'll check out the forge.

M0rdred said:
CrymsonChaos said:

Interesting, I don't tend to have much trouble with Mettenheim Style anymore, but that might be because I am just so used to doing it. Archer-heavy parties can be challenging (so Ravenstern can get nasty). What was it that gave you issue? If it was enemy cavalry then you're defiantly using your infantry wrong.

STAND CLOSER!

Mightyena-Lucario said:

It wasn't cavalry actually, the Empire's crossbowmen got my infantry.  The only thing that stopped it from being a complete bloodbath was the infallible might of KotEG crossbows.

A link on horses in inventory and map movement speed.  Only trade goods slow down party movement speed (by weight)  Weapons and armor in inventory do not slow you down even if you are carrying around 20 suits of forlorn hope plate mail which supposedly weighs more than a bunch of cabbages.  A lot of horses help if you are carrying a lot of heavy trade goods, but actually slow you down if you don't have much trade goods.  One stack of cabbages weighs exactly the same whether it's new or if it is almost finished.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46362.0.html

The link also shows you when town relationship gives you discounts with merchants (multiples of 11+1 so 12, 23, 34, 45, 56 etc.)

Interesting about the food, but the tests are academic. Who carries one pig?
I usually have two sets of all the food I can get. What's optimal for that load? 6, 7 horses?

He who does not own more than one and is strong enough to do so.  :mrgreen:

6 spare horses because you really need that many, 3 slots for books, usually 6-12 for food, 3 for ranged weapons.
The rest for loot and shiny blue cabbage.

MadVader said:
I usually have two sets of all the food I can get. What's optimal for that load? 6, 7 horses?
It depends - what's the tradegood-only (non-wearable) carrying weight?  Optimal number of horses for 150 is 2-3.  For 300 it's 3-5.  For 500 it's 5-9.  I say 5-9 because why carry 4 more horses for 0.3 more speed?

Back
Top Bottom