Feinting - The New Spinning

Users who are viewing this thread

Hekko

Master Knight
Disclaimer: Before you brand me as a troll or something else evil, please read through the post throughly and give the things I mention a bit of though. Some of the post is a satire of the spinning discussion, some are actual real observations about how feinting works with bayonets ingame at the moment and some of it is written for the lulz of the author, I will leave it up to the reader to decide what is what.

1 What is feinting?

Feinting is as we all know it a way to change attack direction mid-attack in order to fool the enemy into blocking the wrong way, or if being really clever to fool the enemy by NOT changing attack direction despite going through the process of changing it. This effect is very easy to achieve and the technique is quite simple, you tap the right mousbutton directly after releasing a stab and then send away a new stab. Doesn't get simpler.

2 Why feinting is unrealistic

If you have played the game and fought against a feinter you know what I am talking about right here. They keep changing attack directions at lightspeed and ultimatly you think that they are either dancing some wierd dance at a rave under the influence of something else than lemonade, or that they are having a seizure of some other kind. If you realisticly were to do something like that you would not be able to do it at that speed. If you contrary to all belief were able to do it you would still probably end up either dropping the musket, hurting yourself, and when you actually go for the stab it would probably lack any power behind it what so ever. Yet ingame it almost always onehits, you never drop your musket or hurt yourself or your comrades in arms.

3 Feinting is an exploit

By feinting you are abusing the mechanic which enables you to block in the middle of a stab if you notice that you have misstimed your attack, clearly it wasn't intended to be used as something that could pass of as dancemoves at a rave, the same applies to headbanging as well!

4 Why feinting is too powerful

Feinting at the moment is arguably THE most powerful way to fight, yet still all you need to know in order to perform effective feinting is to know how to do it, no timing and no risk involved, no trying to figure out your enemies next moves.

Feinting also relies upon the ridicolously vague, confusing and fast animations of attacks. If someone feints with a sword it's quite easy to follow the feint and know what attack direction it will come from, but with the bayonet  there are various hiccups in the animations which give the animation an extra jump as if to move up when moving down etc. And a weapon of this magnitude is at the disposal of anybody who find out you can stop stabs a bit into the stab.

This fast speed also means that some counters that used to work in MM are useless, the "implied" chamber is quite useless now, because the enemy simply changes attack-direction and hits you before you can hit them with your attempted chamber. Which adds further safety to the feinter and ensures feinting as an end-all-be-all playstyle.

So ultimatly the only thing you can do against a feinter is to block, and even that is dodgey at best due to the nature of feinting.

5 Potential fixes to feinting

• Increase the time it takes to start a new attack after canceling the previous one six times, i.e. make the duration between feints six times longer
  • Make it so that you can only poke/thud/stub/whif a player if you have changed attackdirection the last 2 seconds
  • Make it so that you drop your musket if you feint too quickly
  • Make it so that you do damage to yourself if you feint too often
  • Make it so that your attack cannot be canceled after release
  • Make it so that you cannot release an attack for a certain time after having changed attack direction.
  • Smoothen the animations and slow them down a bit so that implied chambers are something that works against a feintspammer

Before you go on and report me to moderators, please reread and think about the stuff you have read and read the disclaimer again.

Kind regards,
Hekko

U can spam, kick and rape, chamber or just block and hold or faint attacks... exploit? /facepalm

Anyway melee is very unbalanced in this mod, for example: bayonet overhead is op and officers have a too short sword (officers need some improvement on melee).

camperus said:
Anyway melee is very unbalanced in this mod, for example: bayonet overhead is op and officers have a too short sword (officers need some improvement on melee).

Wrong. Unless you prefer swords that can out-swing bayonet-stabs. It's not the size that matters.

It's the most balanced and best melee in all of Mount and Blade. You just have to let go of your pre-determined love for spammy op-swords to realize it.

Considering that even bots try to feint, I dont think its an exploit.

Like chambers, Im sure they appeared in some patch notes (somewhere)

Feinting is why I haven't bought NW yet. Too much rage involved in me switching my block a hundred times to get stabbed anyway.

when_someone_is_wrong.gif

Thokan said:
It's the most balanced and best melee in all of Mount and Blade. You just have to let go of your pre-determined love for spammy op-swords to realize it.

Oh man...
oUPui.jpg

As a Swede and IKEA wizard I hereby revoke Thokan's membership in an online Swedish regiment.

Thokan said:

We will not acceptance such ignorance from anyone associated with our great nation.

Thokan said:
camperus said:

Wrong. Unless you prefer swords that can out-swing bayonet-stabs. It's not the size that matters.

I dont know how deep is ur understand of melee mechanics but officer is very underpowered (against skilled players). Officers have a short sword for melee(compared with commander or heavy cavalry),and a ****ty pistol for close ranged. If u survive to the ranged fest and start a melee fight u will face mostly infantry muskets, that are longer than ur fast sword. At this point u have to block the first attack (i noticed that sometimes when u block an overhead ur weapon got stunned or maybe are lag issues), and then if the other player is backpedaling u have to block again. Blocking an sword isnt so much hard for an skilled player, and animations arent so weird, compared to native, but infantry musket overhead is a bit weird to block and can reach u for a long distance. U are fast (low weight) but infantry musket users are fast too and have a longer weapon that can 1 hit u when u have to hit 2 times to kill (with overhead).
Sorry for my bad english.

I agree feinting isn't historically accurate, but with out feinting all melee would be is blocking up and down until someone gets bored and quits.  :neutral:

The one way I have found to kill a feint-spammer is to go on the offense.

I find that a quick strike in thier mass-feinting is a good way to tell them that its looks stupid.

Its a bit like that in real life when I go to tournaments, whenever I get feinted to much withought my opponent in aactually attacking, I just to a quick strike and their to busy feinting to block it.

And dont worry, English is not my native language either.

Eiríkr Rauði said:
Allow me to grab my box of tissues. That **** is funny...
Úlfheðinn said:
As a Swede and IKEA wizard I hereby revoke Thokan's membership in an online Swedish regiment.

We will not acceptance such ignorance from anyone associated with our great nation.

Just my opinion. No need to get all mad about it. It is quite natural for modplayers to say their mod contains the best melee. I do. Many a cRPG players do, And I am quite sure you two do believe Vikingr is a good mod, 'cause it is.

No need to flame. Me and my opinion shall sit here, alongside my 2k+ hours in Warband and believe we are somewhat relevant.

camperus said:
I dont know how deep is ur understand of melee mechanics but officer is very underpowered (against skilled players). Officers have a short sword for melee(compared with commander or heavy cavalry),and a ****ty pistol for close ranged. If u survive to the ranged fest and start a melee fight u will face mostly infantry muskets, that are longer than ur fast sword. At this point u have to block the first attack (i noticed that sometimes when u block an overhead ur weapon got stunned or maybe are lag issues), and then if the other player is backpedaling u have to block again. Blocking an sword isnt so much hard for an skilled player, and animations arent so weird, compared to native, but infantry musket overhead is a bit weird to block and can reach u for a long distance. U are fast (low weight) but infantry musket users are fast too and have a longer weapon that can 1 hit u when u have to hit 2 times to kill (with overhead).
Sorry for my bad english.

If hes backpedaling, he get some serious negatives. See when the musket bounces and does little damage when it hits? Its because that.
Its also funny that you say that a sword is easy to block by a skilled player. A bayonet is even easier to block. I would agree with swords being too slow, but it isnt as bad as you are making it.

As far as the feinting goes, is one of the core things of melee in mount&blade. They make the combat so much more interesting.

PD. Regarding the most balanced melee in the game, everyone will have an opinion. NW plays so much nicer with groups and favour much more hordes of people without skill (like me :smile:) that still stab you to death. In other mods there is people that can singlehandlely win fights. On the other hand, Vikingr has a such nice shield combat... I havent played in a while (AKA - months), but cav used to be totally broken, though. Cav in NW feels light and hard-hitting, without being rapers of the world.
So I would say that the balance is more or less right to the general idea of the mod.

Back
Top Bottom