Fallout 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
Spears. And unarmed. They don't seem to be in any chest in skyrim.

I'm pretty sure you can actually find mini spears in chests in the Dragonborn DLC.

An NPC race entity that could be coded with their own unique animation skellingtons used them as spears. As for as the rest of the Skyrim universe is concerned, nobody knows how to make or use spears. Please.

Plus, the melee riekling spear on a riekling is used as a greatsword with one locked attack animation, which means funnily enough, you can make riekling carry giant clubs.

Yes, they're not spears. And spears are something that was in previous TES that was subtracted from Skyrim for no real reason really when Howard likes to claim they like variety and their fans. Personally I'm more unhappy about taking out unarmed and making it a sideshow. It used to be possible to be so good in hand in hand that everyone was knocked out on the floor without stamina (so even if they woke up again, they wouldn't be effective in combat). But I guess having everyone knocked out doesn't fit with their deathblow killcam since that runs on a health depletion and not stamina (not saying they could just jury rig the system to work with stamina depletion when entity is barefisted since that would be a) too much work and b) make bar brawls too cool)

I was more pissed that they removed pretty much every reason to actually want to go under water, except for maybe around Winterhold.

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
BenKenobi said:
Bringing Gothic anywhere near TES is like comparing Millenium Falcon to Wright's Flyer.
Nope. The subject used here is fully applicable. TES claims a proper use of AI with their own daily schedule and needs, but still fall short of what Gothic did more than a decade before Skyrim came out (I think skyrim is the first TES with true idle AI, given that I only remember skyrim having labourers actually working). Gothic was ironically one of those RPG that was fun as hell to play with its clunky, but RP wise fair combat system that got worse when they casualized it.
Gothic is the Falcon. This comparison is unfair to TES as Gothic (and 2 and The Night of the Raven) is better in nearly everything short of main menu track; and most importantly in being enjoyable and having an atmosphere to speak of.

But by budget, I'll still say TES is the falcon here. Jowood was literally dodging bankruptcy left and right in order to continue pumping out the Gothic series (which shouldn't surprise you why 3 was watered down so badly).

I know it's a little old hat, but with this new sneak peek at the weapons and the fact that I am generally the last person to complain about graphics, I feel justified in asking... what the **** is going on at Beth's art department?

http://imgur.com/a/Y4Tga?gallery

I mean, even ignoring the design which I hate but moving on, just look at those textures. On this preview of the, presumably, complete and highest level of detail models, the textures are low-resolution, blurry, artifacted and just bad. Some of the individual pieces just look ridiculously modeled, as if they were thrown together in Sketchup, with uneven edges that don't seem intended and UV stretching.

When your graphics can put me off, you're doing something seriously wrong.

The weapon set in New Vegas was great, every time I play that I end up with a surplus of weapons, all of which I want to use.

They will probably offer either a free or a low-cost high quality textures DLC at some point, like they did with Skyrim. Makes life easier for the graphic artists and gets them positive press as well.

On the subject of spears.

Spears actually were added in by the developers of the game during the Game Jam event bethesda participated in where the devs were given 1 week to do whatever they wanted to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIgXeGC6Dg

2:02

Though I do recommend watching the whole thing to see what you missed thanks to consoles.

I think it's an important point that it's not always Bethesda's fault. The console market still make a lot more money than the PC market does. (Though that divide is shrinking.) Bethesda makes their games relatively open to modding however which allows you to forgive some of their sins.

What exactly would they be modding if you cut Bethesda out of the picture?

They'll still mod Fallout 4 because I know all the peons will pre-order it and get my game made for me, so that I can get it for free in some promo or for a dollar from Steam during a holiday sale.

Back
Top Bottom