Explosion and shooting in Oslo and Utøya

Users who are viewing this thread

Truetrue, no one could even imagine that someone would do such a thing, but there was older people there aswell, but what chance do you have against a person armed with a automatic rifle.

On top of that, in life people usually don't have those flashy symbols or coloured text atop of people showing whether they're on your side or not. If people see someone opening fire on a police officer, it generally sends a very clear message about what side that person is on. And of course, this is assuming said people is trained and conditioned enough to keep a level head when gun fire is heard around him or her. Someone on the verge of a panic attack isn't a good candidate for fire arms.

Swadius said:
And of course, this is assuming said people is trained and conditioned enough to keep a level head when gun fire is heard around him or her. Someone on the verge of a panic attack isn't a good candidate for fire arms.

As I usually point out, the main problem with the argument is that it ignores the fact the other guy has his gun primed and ready to fire before anyone knows what's going on. Carrying a gun in that situation just makes you a priority target, you'll be dead before you can draw it.

Ginthus said:
As all eyewitnesses said, he went calmy around the place and shot people, no sign of panic from him.

My comment was in the context of someone saying that there would have been less people dead if everyone on that island had a firearm. Not many people are likely hardened enough to keep calm when they are shot at, most of them are likely going to panic, or not believe the situation they are in is actually happening and/or freeze up. In either case being armed is not going to do any good, in the former case, it might actually be a recipe for further disaster.

A more practical recommendation is the suggestion that there be more police officers or soldiers stationed around society to keep them safe rather than arming everyone and hope they all shoot the bad guy and result in a lower rate of friendly fire than professional modern military force. People usually don't go about their day scanning their surroundings for effective cover, and imagining scenarios where individuals are coming at them with a weapon. The most effective way of combating these people would be to pay someone to do it for you and to react when the situation comes up.

Ginthus said:
As all eyewitnesses said, he went calmy around the place and shot people, no sign of panic from him.

Eyewitnesses say though he was in a quite hurry. He was also yelling stuff like "Im gonna kill them all! Everyones gonna die!" sometimes laughter and cheering.
But this man had it all planned, he was an intelligent, planned and dangerous man. Im glad they got him, and perhaps the other guy who helped him.

Just woke up opened the BBC News website ... 84 dead on the island, and counting.

**** me, I don't even know what to say.

Yeah I feel sorry for Norway and Norwegians. That's just terrifying to imagine, I couldn't help but ask how the **** that was possible when I saw it on my phone's news browser. Makes more sense once I heard the details (tiny island, dude had a rifle/shotgun/pistol or somesuch, 2 hours for Norwegian military to get there).

What was the time difference between blast in the Gov. building and shooting on the island?Is it possible that one guy does all that by himself?

But the thing was the guy had it planned. Everyone would be ALL ON to the explosion case. EVERYONE were in Oslo at the explosion site. Really poor effort by the police to get there, but it was the plan of the guy. First blow up ****, people dont care if theres a shooting episode further away. He couldve gotten away with it if he didnt keep the massacre up for too long.

The scale of the massacre is intense too. Like, 6-7 times the size of the Columbine school massacre.

Edit: He drove off to the island I guess right after he blew up the building, took maybe 2-3 hours.

Yes. And the explosives could easily be detonated by a mobile phone, giving him extra time. He didn't have to light a very long fuse and hoped it got the powder kegs he placed in the building's cellar, gone are those days.

I still don't get it: kids, seriously ? **** me, if he doesn't commit suicide, he'll rot in jail all his life, but people will be wanting blood.

Captain_Octavius said:
Mixedpotatoes said:
He's not muslim, which obviously shocked the rightist-movement in Norway. Everyone assumed it was a Muslim, by default. Stupid populist super-rightist FrP idiots.

Given the amount of terrorist attacks that are done by Muslim terrorists, you can't blame anyone for that assumption. Left wing people also thought of that, everyone does, and it doesn't make anyone stupid. Statistically it's a safe bet.

Actually, statistically speaking, most terrorists aren't Muslim.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/terrorism-in-europe/

Selothi said:
Yes. And the explosives could easily be detonated by a mobile phone, giving him extra time. He didn't have to light a very long fuse and hoped it got the powder kegs he placed in the building's cellar, gone are those days.

I still don't get it: kids, seriously ? **** me, if he doesn't commit suicide, he'll rot in jail all his life, but people will be wanting blood.
In Norway the biggest punishment is 20 years in jail, but if he killed over 91 people I think he deserves more..

Archonsod said:
if all the people on the island would have had one that stupid **** shooter would've probably been shot after his first shots, which would have drastically reduced the casualties...
And if the Prime Ministers office was guarded by police he wouldnt even have reached the island.

Well,I'm not somebody who advocates conspiracy theories,but one guy to get so much explosives,to plant it in Gov. building and make such a massacre there,is too much for civilized country like Norway!You can't buy explosive there on every corner,he probably had some support behind.Shooting is one thing but the explosion couldn't have organized and performed by one man only in my opinion!

wrc said:
Well,I'm not somebody who advocates conspiracy theories,but one guy to get so much explosives,to plant it in Gov. building and make such a massacre there,is too much for civilized country like Norway!You can't buy explosive there on every corner,he probably had some support behind.Shooting is one thing but the explosion couldn't have organized and performed by one man only in my opinion!

He had artificial fertilizer which he used as an explosive. He could buy it because he said he was working with farming (which he maybe wasnt)
It was also placed in no building, it was in a car.

Mixedpotatoes said:
wrc said:

He had artificial fertilizer which he used as an explosive. He could buy it because he said he was working with farming (which he maybe wasnt)
It was also placed in no building, it was in a car.
Ah,lack of information,sorry!

He was a registered farmer, and recently ordered 6 tonnes of fertiliser. Fertiliser is largely composed of ammonium nitrate, which can easily be turned into an explosive compound. It's an old trick, and it works.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Back
Top Bottom