Eating food in taverns

Users who are viewing this thread

wormydowg said:
Thank you, but no. Let's not  :dead:

killing a group of villagers is fine. Visiting a happy widow is going too far (VC joke).

in all seriously the game doesn't need silly mechanics like that. If you want a morale buff, a simple dialog like Warband has is fine. Pay xxx gold, get YY morale for the party.

on eating: the suggestion sounds like a pointless feature, as there was no mechanic associate with it. Someone suggested adding a healing effect, that could work (as ale gives morale, sleeping gets health, food could do something too). But if that is there it should be totally optional, as in, not something players should do to heal.

-> pay to rest, wait 8-12 ingame hours (a few seconds in real life), next day you are fine
-> buy food, heals while eating, takes 2-4 minutes. Time doesn't change outside (positive), but you need to wait real time (negative). Result is the same= health full.

Optional as in not needed at all besides a cool feature for immersion/RP. It would be nice to go to a tavern, sit in a table, order a drink and listen to a bard. Then play a board game.

But as long we can go to a tavern, sit in a chair, listen to music and play minigames, that should be plenty. NPC around you can play cool animations to support the atmosphere.

Food as a means to heal wounds is a video game convention, that I'd be glad to be spared from in Bannerlord. It would quite undermine the first aid skill (or equivalent of it).

Dealing with injury by waiting to heal, as in Warband, is an easy enough way to deal with it. It also allows some immersion, as you can well imagine your party needing a rest after a tough fight. If there was some additional, visual feedback to represent this, your character and companions limping, being bandaged, wearing an arm sling, that would be great.

What im suggesting Its really just an immersion fun feature that dosen't give you any benefits but make you go "wow". Might take only a day out of dev time to actually implement it, and modders can use it as a base to implement triggers like levers or traps.

lolbash said:
What im suggesting Its really just an immersion fun feature that dosen't give you any benefits but make you go "wow".
oppai said:
will eating restore HP?

If it allows you to restore health faster (not immediate regeneration) and adds immersion it could be a beneficial feature. 

lolbash said:
What im suggesting Its really just an immersion fun feature that dosen't give you any benefits but make you go "wow". Might take only a day out of dev time to actually implement it, and modders can use it as a base to implement triggers like levers or traps.
Like I said previously, if you want to watch yourself eat, put a mirror in front of your plate and chew away.  I want to waste zero time watching my character eat.

Rather than a mechanic to see your character eating... it would be better if you could have something like "Feast for the Troops" to increase morale and loyalty of your soldiers.

As for tavern life, I'd like to see your troops (not all obviously.. but a lot) be allowed to drink in a short clip, to increase morale, loyalty and possibly get more recruits by showing the people of the tavern your visiting what a swell leader you are.

Edit: Please mind what you write

As I said earlier. Eating is a social activity. The mechanic can be used as a way of improving a player's social skills(attributes associated with social interaction) in the appropriate environments. An eating mechanic would be a step towards making feasts more meaningful and engaging.

For one, people could react positively or negatively to the kinds of foods you choose to eat (or serve if it's your feast), how much you eat/drink, with whome you decide to socialize, etc. Allowing for deeper event participation creates additional avenues through which relationships can be built-up or destroyed. It's not the only additional activity I'd add to feasts, but it is the most glaringly obvious among them imo.

Not being able to eat at a feast is kind of nonsensical. Even if it served no gameplay purpose, I'd still rather the ability be in the game than not be in it. I change to my royal robes when I go to feasts. I do it because I don't like how out of place I look at those places in my armor. I believe a social penalty for wearing inappropriate clothing would be a decent feature. some might disagree but few would argue against the inclusion of formal wear.

The same logic applies here. If people want to role play at the very least they should be capable of doing so. I'd argue that gameplay would benefit from the depth this could add to the systems governing social interaction, but even if those ideas are ignored, including the animation is a victimless crime. It only serves to provide an option for those who wish to role play.

SherShahSuri said:
Rather than a mechanic to see your character eating... it would be better if you could have something like "Feast for the Troops" to increase morale and loyalty of your soldiers.

As for tavern life, I'd like to see your troops (not all obviously.. but a lot) be allowed to drink in a short clip, to increase morale, loyalty and possibly get more recruits by showing the people of the tavern your visiting what a swell leader you are.

We have a camping feature(which could be modified to include the benefits you describe). Though the option to throw a party for your men at a local tavern wouldn't hurt either. Additionly, I've always wanted the option to explore my campsite and interact with my men to improve moral.

Whatever makes you happy said:
As I said earlier. Eating is a social activity. The mechanic can be used as a way of improving a player's social skills(attributes associated with social interaction) in the appropriate environments. An eating mechanic would be a step towards making feasts more meaningful and engaging.

For one, people could react positively or negatively to the kinds of foods you choose to eat (or serve if it's your feast), how much you eat/drink, with whome you decide to socialize, etc. Allowing for deeper event participation creates additional avenues through which relationships can be built-up or destroyed. It's not the only additional activity I'd add to feasts, but it is the most glaringly obvious among them imo.

Not being able to eat at a feast is kind of nonsensical. Even if it served no gameplay purpose, I'd still rather the ability be in the game than not be in it. I change to my royal robes when I go to feasts. I do it because I don't like how out of place I look at those places in my armor. I believe a social penalty for wearing inappropriate clothing would be a decent feature. some might disagree but few would argue against the inclusion of formal wear.

The same logic applies here. If people want to role play at the very least they should be capable of doing so. I'd argue that gameplay would benefit from the depth this could add to the systems governing social interaction, but even if those ideas are ignored, including the animation is a victimless crime. It only serves to provide an option for those who wish to role play.

SherShahSuri said:

We have a camping feature(which could be modified to include the benefits you describe). Though the option to throw a party for your men at a local tavern wouldn't hurt either. Additionly, I've always wanted the option to explore my campsite and interact with my men to improve moral.

Yeah!, I've always wanted to see more... interactions with my own troops, some internal drama that binds us together as a unit... a commander and his army are not just that... but are a brotherhood that risk life and limb together, feast together, fight together and... die together... but the point is, your army shouldn't just feel like some boring AI units with no personality, no interaction... they should feel real, you should feel a piece of your self has been taken every time 1 of your soldiers die.

You should feel like Big Boss

The topic title made me think you'd mean a feature where if you rest in a town you also pay extra so that instead of eating your inventory rations your soldiers just get fed by the innkeeper lol. Having a feature dedicated to nothing else than looking at your character eat is... not exactly in the scope of vanilla Mount & Blade. Some sort of immersion mod, sure, but completely unnecessary for a combo action RPG/strategy game.

We need eating mechanics, because food just disappearing from the inventory isn't realistic enough!!

We need food related diseases as well, because this was a thing back in the medieval days!!!  :lol:

FBohler said:
We need eating mechanics, because food just disappearing from the inventory isn't realistic enough!!

We need food related diseases as well, because this was a thing back in the medieval days!!!  :lol:

There's nothing unrealistic about food disappearing from the inventory. You're not directly with your party during travel. How would it even be possible to see your party eat from the overworled map?

Whatever makes you happy said:
FBohler said:

There's nothing unrealistic about food disappearing from the inventory. You're not directly with your party during travel. How would it even be possible to see your party eat from the overworled map?
(He was being sarcastic.)

FBohler said:

And how does even food get cooked automatically. It is very unrealistic if you ask me. There should be proper mechanics to cook food using various ingredients. Nobody is going to eat grain etc raw.

And for diseases also, symptoms should be visible on our character and NPCs. Like they should be seen vomiting, or sneezing in battles etc.

Dest45 said:
I can’t tell the troll posts from the serious yet ridiculous suggestions anymore
Hint: they're one and the same.

The only way at all that I would want to see "eating" in the game would be as a brief 5-10 second animation during "camping" or at a tavern, if you choose to do so (buying food at a tavern or distributing an extra food allotment to boost morale).  The character's arm (for NPC or player character) basically moves to the mouth a couple of times, with something being held.  In essence, showing eating serves no in-game purpose except for the few players who might want to sit and wait around in real time, and would seem to be a poor use of developer resources in my opinion.  Otherwise, eating should just occur automatically over the course of the day (or at some appropriate point such as noon, rather than midnight).

Either that, or else we should have the option to pay for a list of different meals, from basic bread and ale, all the way up to a roast duck and fresh vegetables served on a silver platter along with wine.  Depending on price, we should have either the bartender just hand us the food, or else have proper "staff" serve a hot meal to our table.  This shouldn't be too big a deal for the developers if they cancel another trivial aspect of the game to free up the time and expense, like sieges or something.  I'm sure most players would agree to the high priority that this important part of daily human activity deserves in the game.  We also need to see our character sleep.

Chiming in here because I like the eating mechanic in KCD. If Bannerlord continues with the large stock of supplies in the inventory though, adding a 'bite to eat' seems odd other than for very specific RPG reasons. When you can kill a boar that can feed a band of adventurers for weeks worrying about having oatmeal at the favorite tavern seems redundant.

Maybe have two sets of 'feeding' mechanics, one for the character and one for the masses? Possibly TW could leave it open for modding by not hard-coding the functionality of eating for the main character.

The most I would like to see if at all is a slider to set your troops rations and checkboxes to allow/disallow certain food types if you want to trade some of them. In game, I would only think it as possible npc animations rather than something the player does.

Back
Top Bottom