Easy ways to make siege better

Users who are viewing this thread

Siege currently is not reaching it's 'fun potential' for a number of reasons.

1. Cav, but other threads have pointed to this so I won't spend any more of your precious reading time on that.
2. Damn multiple flag issue, which I will discuss.
3. Rocks and explosives that can destroy defenses by players throwing them.

2. Having multiple flags is great idea. It makes the siege not only focus on the single flag at the back, but also center around capturing sections of wall, towers, courtyards and the like. It does cause some issues though, Going for G straight away is not only easy, it is the most effective way to either win quickly or get the focus off of the walls so the rest of your team can breach them.
Not only is G easy to capture, all the other objectives are just up for grabs for whoever can (usually quite easily) sneak past the main walls. When this happens, and it usually does, siege turns into a conquest game-mode on a castle map. The way the game-mode is currently set up, running past the walls and capping whilst ignoring enemies is the meta to win. It doesn't focus any fighting over any corridors or chokepoints, it's just running around all the cap points until G is the last point left. Only then is there actually a concentrated fight that goes on. I would suggest that all this spread out skirmishing over the siege map is not what the devs had in mind when developing siege, but it is what it has turned into.

What, in my opinion, could fix this is a staged siege. Where only two or three points are cappable at each stage. My fondest memories of sieges were in Warband on the staged Minas Tirith map. Where you first had to cap the walls, then the courtyards and all the other levels of the city. It forced heavy fighting in confined spaces with whole teams present there, which makes everything more intense and for me more enjoyable.

In practice, I see two different ways of doing this. Either consecutive set of stages can be set up: A & B, C &D, E &F (maybe along with G), G. Or the same sort of thing with 3 objectives. Or you start with A&B, and when either one is captured, C or D pops up as cappable, and so on.

Alternatively, if these stages are not what the devs want, I suggest locking G until only two other objectives remain. This would still solve the easy win by capping G ASAP, but not the conquest mode it turns into once people bypass the walls.

3. The rocks and explosives that are spread out on spots in the castle are, in essence, a good addition to sieges. They are of course ammunition for the catapults, but also serve as great weapons to kill players outright. I see the downsides of them in threefold.
First, attackers can destroy defenders' ramparts completely negating the defenses around Skala's Landing's G point for example.
Secondly, defenders can destroy their own castle. This encourages trolls to mess around and accidentally makes defenders destroy battlements (like the wooden bits above the gate on Skala's Landing), because of how weird the throwing angle and aiming is on them. In addition to these, it also encourages defenders to destory certain advantageous sections of battlements in their favour. Such as the battlements at F facing towards G on Skala's Landing.
Thirdly, defenders can too easily sally out and destroy the assaulting catapults by throwing the ammo meant to be used by said catapults. Sallying out and destroying these so a breach cannot be made is currently the best way to win as the defending team.

As I see it, all of the issues mentioned above can be solved by making the boulders and explosive pots not deal damage to buildings and catapults when thrown by players. Instead, they can only deal damage to players when thrown by hand.

Another option is to assign stacks of the boulders and pots to a particular team. This would result in the attackers not being able to use the rocks and pots inside of the castle, and the defenders wouldn't be able to use those reserved for the attacking catapults outside of the castle.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. What makes you disagree with me and what could the resulting side effects be?

Cheers,

Horris

*edit*: title

Best thing I could think of is lock g till other points have been capped or have it locked for the first 3 min of the game to insure people actually get to play

Yep, that’s in my post as an option, but it unfortunately doesn’t do anything about the conquest mode siege has turned into.
Would be kinda cool to make a few maps work in section (more of a liner type siege) make them a bit more intricate. Like for example u have the wall with maybe some trench and outer defenses so lots of catapults, ladders/towers and cav. Then once walls are down and capped u have the court big open space with lots of things in the way kinda making lanes I guess (port of Omar or Echerion feel) then have they inner city lots of tight ally areas with a few roof spots and a main road and then the final defense. Idk that way u have siege that feels progressive and have a more liner flow for both attackers and defenders, would limit that conquest kinda feel and would be nice map design wise

I have liked the short round time Warband siege. Six/seven minutes at max and if the flag has hit the ground, it was over.

Anyway, the basic concept in Bannerlord is not that bad either. Well, at least for the first stage. As attacker you have serveral options to seize parts of the wall and push the spawnpoints of the defenders further back.
My personal issue is the fight for the G flag. Ever if you have raised your own flag you have to hold the flag for ages before you have won.
Overall the fight at the last flag is a huge mess and quite unfun for me, but i guess this is intended by TaleWorlds.
That is why i am not a fan of the "G is locked before you have all of the other flags" idea.
This would lead to two messy battles for the "last" flag. Until F falls defenders could ignore G completely and focus at one point.
Sure currently attackers can sneak to G and try a fast win, but most of the time it is the fault of the defenders. Their own cav opens the gates for the attackers. Well in Skala Landings it is mostly because of the map glitch.

For the cav problem in siege mode a fix of the ancient "stair climbing horse" glitch would be a start.

Oh and the moral system could use a remake. Sometimes you have a flag point under complete control, no opponent in sight but the flag is not fully raised yet and then you lose because the morale runs out.
Morale could be something like a ticket-system. If to many of your fighters die, then the morale drops.
This would somewhat fix the continual breakouts of the defenders. Don´t get me wrong, this is a valid tactic, but currently it involves no risk to waste your resources (menpower) as defender.

I agree with the rocks. I do prep the defences my self because it is fast and easy but a quite cheap tactic.
The stonework should have more hitpoints so it does not disintegrate if hit by hand-tossed 20kg boulder.
Oh and self splash damage for the pots would be nice, too.

I would:

1) Lock G until all other points are taken
2) Allow defenders to spawn at flags they own, so when one is taken they actually lose something. The game does move as flags are lost, but it feels like only in 2 or 3 stages. Losing each flag should feel like an area has been lost.
3) Increase the capsule size of players and reduce further their ability to push people around, as closed space group fights in castles simply feel terrible
4) Increase the cost of cav in this game mode
5) Add friendly fire when the bug is fixed
6) Add a minimum distance threshold to rocks and pots so they can't be thrown point blank
7) Rejig the spawns a little so defenders are closer to G on some maps. I think it's Skala where you will lose 4 stars at least if enemy has G and you are on foot, before you get there.

Back
Top Bottom