Does the equipment of companions make a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Adrivan

Sergeant at Arms
Let's say I send a companion to form a caravan. Does it matter if he has crappy gear, or the best possible armor in the game? Do auto-calc battles take this into account? Also, can companions die in auto-calc battles?

Let's say I send a companion to form a caravan. Does it matter if he has crappy gear, or the best possible armor in the game? Do auto-calc battles take this into account? Also, can companions die in auto-calc battles?
1. It doesn't matter.
2. Autocalc doesn't care.
3. Not currently, planned to be added soon.

1. It doesn't matter.
2. Autocalc doesn't care.
3. Not currently, planned to be added soon.
So basically there is no incentive to bring a companion into a live battle, right? Any regular high tier soldier is probably stronger, and he has risk of death... But then I don't understand why there are companions in the game that are only good at fighting

So basically there is no incentive to bring a companion into a live battle, right? Any regular high tier soldier is probably stronger, and he has risk of death... But then I don't understand why there are companions in the game that are only good at fighting
If you're talking about live battles (not leading caravans) then their equipment does matter. If you equip a companion like a fian, and they have the right skills, then they might get upwards of twenty kills per battle. Khan's guard equivalent gets a lot less. Maybe five or six at most. But they'll be almost entirely safe.

Anything else -- pure footman with heavy armor, knightly, hoplite, etc. -- and they'll barely kill anything and die off pretty quickly.

If you're talking about live battles (not leading caravans) then their equipment does matter. If you equip a companion like a fian, and they have the right skills, then they might get upwards of twenty kills per battle. Khan's guard equivalent gets a lot less. Maybe five or six at most. But they'll be almost entirely safe.

Anything else -- pure footman with heavy armor, knightly, hoplite, etc. -- and they'll barely kill anything and die off pretty quickly.
Yeah making a companion a melee soldier regardless of equipment is pretty much a death sentence. It's why I never look for companions who are melee focused without any potential to grow in other areas. I remember in Warband with good equipment and if you specked your companions out right they could become monsters on the battlefield.

Last character I did that fought on horse had his companions follow him in a separate group. If I got unhorsed, I'd tell them to unmount, get 1 of their horses, get them to mount again, and the poor fella who lost his horse was on his own lol. Best use I got for them in battle, but making them archers/crossbowmen usually pays off too.

Yeah it's pretty dire. Using your spouse or brother for some captain perks seems like a good idea, however I'm not sure if they work in normal battles (not army) or not? I've been told they do. It may also just be the low effect of the perks and the low effect of skills in the game overall that makes it hard to tell.
But incase they works, why not have a captain with dead shot , nimble steed and Sagittarius in with you HA, you can even put them in gruop 2 with foot archers so they can leach off the bow skill+ too.... if it works :razz:

As far as support companion, I mostly just use them out of being too annoyed to put in separate group and retreat them. Basically if they can still learn their support skill, it's pointless to waste them in combat (leveling do to fighting), but if they can't learn it you can (sometimes) hope they level up from combat so you can continue to spec into their skill. But often they're way too ****ed to learn anything no matter what.

In older version where younger sister joins with like zero stats, I made her the steward and retreated her every single fight and she was able to get high steward (275+)pretty easily this way, without leveling from combat. Of course it was annoying to retreat her every battle. Of course i would rather not be penalized for her leveling up and use her as muscle AND a steward, but that's not the game yet ;/

And of course the Surgeon has to be in the battle to get medical skill.... not that we will notice it very often due to how abysmally slow medicine raises.

Last edited:
It's why I would love a way to make companions immortal like in WB, I can't stand baby sitting them, but like the idea of having some in combat with me. After a lot of time they can get to the stage of being pretty useful, but with the way death works they won't live that long unless you take lots of care with them (and don't join sieges).

I would also love to have caravans that didn't need a companion to lead them as sending them off on a caravan ruins any connection you might have to them. After all with caravans the companions skills make very little difference to how well it runs and their gear absolutely none so you can pick up a nobody in a bar take all their gear worth having assign them to a caravan and off they go never to be seen until you have to track the buggers down after they get their caravan jumped. Although on that you can make them a governor for a free teleport or have them form a party if you have space as at least they'd get an icon and you could find them a bit easier.

Back
Top Bottom