does it feel like this game lacks a soul?

Users who are viewing this thread

Check hotfix notes :razz: The bug was slightly different from what Bannerman showed (the decompiled code isn't quite right). We had a chat in PM (sharing stories of marriage) and basically the cause of the issue is that the assignment of the weights was nested within a debug code, which meant that everything looks great to the people running the game in debug, but not so much for those of you playing it regularly.

I won't go into details, but we haven't said that we would drop voice overs.
Thanks for dropping by, but does this mean that the weights/tags system IS the planned dialog system (never mind that debug code thing) and will be enabled and expanded in the future?

Yes, it is the intended system and should (hopefully) work better with todays fix. (Technically, it already worked, but due to the wrong weights, the existing range of lines & quips wasn't always properly prioritized / applied.)

Ah, that's good news then. Even if it's a minor fix technically, it shows in a visible way that the game makes progress and that brings hope (at the expense of deadpan comedy dialogs).
Hotfix (04/03/21)
  • Fixed an issue that caused conversation tag weights (that affect dialogue variation) to be set improperly.

I didn't build the system and may have misunderstood some bits and pieces so take this with a grain of salt.

My understanding is that various conversation lines (f.e. the spouse strings) are tagged and these tags have weights. Tags themselves either require or prohibit (depending on whether they are weighed positive or negative) a particular condition - so f.e. if a dialogue has a positive cruel tag only cruel characters will use it. Weights, in turn, are used to find the most appropriate line (highest weight) out of a pool of possible lines. Very simply put, they are what makes a spouse go with "My Husband/Wife" instead of "Captain". Both are possible, one is more appropriate.

I didn't build the system and may have misunderstood some bits and pieces so take this with a grain of salt.

My understanding is that various conversation lines (f.e. the spouse strings) are tagged and these tags have weights. Tags themselves either require or prohibit (depending on whether they are weighed positive or negative) a particular condition - so f.e. if a dialogue has a positive cruel tag only cruel characters will use it. Weights, in turn, are used to find the most appropriate line (highest weight) out of a pool of possible lines. Very simply put, they are what makes a spouse go with "My Husband/Wife" instead of "Captain". Both are possible, one is more appropriate.
Oh, I see, thank you for an explanation. So, in theory, our wife shouldn't call us "Captain" anymore and cruel enemies should not greet us with "Honor to you, @username@"?

Ah, now I know why this happened...
yGK-h.png
gw20J.png
And look at their faces. They're literally trolling my guy. :lol:

@Duh_TaleWorlds This was before the hotfixes, just to note. Today's hotfix explained the attitude of kings after they accepted your allegiance. I'll miss their dark humor.

Regarding textures, that was a bug which was already fixed, but my textures were set to medium with bilinear filtering.

Mine always said "my love" to start with and "husband" afterwards. What was triggering it? Relations?
No idea haha. I wasn't even aware "my love" is one of the salutations they are able to greet you with. "My husband" should be automatic after getting married though.

Edit: Missed anniversary perhaps? No flowers at work?

Voice acting would go a long way in making the characters alive. And no, not generic garbage either - we have enough generic companions. Every family head should be voice acted with a unique voice, and unique personality. I barely recall any lords names in all my time playing this. They're all bland and generic NPCs with expensive armor that take longer to die than the other NPCs.

Good voice acting helps, but to be honest it does become tiring after a while. For example if you go to a merchant, and have to listen to his introductory dialog all the time. Fun first, tiring from 3rd and on.

That said, I know two games where dialog was used very well. Witcher 3 and Dragon's Dogma. Both are related to the generic extra NPCs (town drunks, merchants, town patrol, etc.).

Witcher
The game has a few lines of unique dialog per each NPC type/location/faction. Not too many, as they are extras after all. For example the smithy in the Black one's (invaders) camp has the intro "are you here to spy on us or haggle?" or similar. In a backwater village, the trader says "Corpse teeth and kidney stones...tried remedies, for trying times". It took them some time to write this, as there are probably around 100 merchants in the game, but most of them have a unique intro (after that it is general "show me your wares")
This is the same with generic peasants, town militia, etc. They all have a few lines each (5-6?), but it fits the faction very well. Eg. witch hunters comment on you being a freak, celtic-norse pirates say things like "looks you were wasted last night too"
Additional stuff: banter is a very good tool to refer to the player's achievements, and Witcher does this all the time. (eg. when you kill the ice giant, a rare random line is added about the giant wasn't even that big)

Dragon's Dogma
This is a very good solution for giving personality to otherwise generic characters. You can create two characters, your PC, and a bit later a follower (pawn). You can choose looks, occupation and sound files for the latter too, but while doing so, you only choose the sound itself (female, male, old, young, raspy, etc.), not the things it will actually tell you.
Actually, at first it is very annoying, because it always repeats a few lanes (5-6). Not as annoying as "patrolling the Mojave always makes you wish for a nuclear winter" or "arrow to the knee", but quite irritating.

But it does change rapidly:
- new dialogs are added to the "banter pool" based on shared experience (if you use a piercing weapon against armor the follower will remember, and this is added to their banter)
- new dialogs are added based on skills learned (you choose the skill, this means you also choose it's dialogs. This means archers, mages and close combat types have different banter pools)
- finally, you can have a "chat" with it in taverns, where you can add dialog options using a "fake interview" method. Eg. "you seem to me like a bloodthirsty berserker" (not these words, but similar) will add bloodthirsty lines to the banter options.

Obviously neither is as detailed as having only unique NPCs with unique dialog options. But it is still better, than having all NPCs use the same lines.

Your thread reading is sus. Duh just fixed it and Bannerman has a history of finding and reporting TW bugs.
Even without Duh and Mex there's a regular and slower way of reporting bugs in the tech support section which theoretically should work, but then they ask you for save games and tell you it's not a bug. :smile:

Last edited:
Or the classical "We can´t repoduce it in our QA enviroment.".

Bannerman is just awesome, I´m not sure how many bugs he already fixed for TW but I can think about at least 5 important bugs (non/wrong working code).

Facial expressions are a separate matter.
Do you or people in dev team ever go for a monthly code check/inspection to see if everything is in order/ok with codes?

I think there should be some kind of monthly inspection where each month a day or two would be dedicated to certain/specific parts of the code where multiple devs would go and inspect to see if there are some codes missing,not being properly applied/written or partialy written bcs there were alredy multiple times alredy where people from community went thru specific parts of code and found out some discrepancies and then when pointed out to mexxico or whoever is on formuns turned out to be eighter codes missing or codes not being properly written that then when devs looked into it found even more bigger problems within the codes.

Im no dev nor know about how things work but to be honest if i was leading a team of devs after several instances from community pointing out stuff about codes nad seeing that there are stuff missing or not properly written i would immedietly make a plan for some type of weekly/monthly inspection and each week/month there would be like 1-2 days dedicated to inspect specific parts of code and that way see if there are still some missing or not written well code lines.

Back
Top Bottom