Does having lots of horses slow the party down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Does having lots of horses slow the party down? My party size is 150 and I have like 500 horses. Does it something good or should I sell some horses?

You should check your party speed (bottom right corner, click on the arrow when you're on the map to see additional infos), hover the horse icon, it'll tell you.

I know cattle slows you down, not sure about horses though

The carrying horses (the cheapest ones) probably slow down the party (for sure mules do and these carrying horses are in the same category). The rest of the horses do not slow down your party, I'm sure about it. They do not count as a "herd". I think that the maximum possible speed for a big army is achieved when you have a very little of cargo, no herd (so no mules etc) and at least as many horses as you have infantrymen in your army. Ofc not mentioning high morale speed bonus etc

Here you go!
Map movement:
Positively affects map speed:
Some low level perks in the Scouting tree, have a companion in your party fill that role by designating them as Scout if they have a decent skill in it because it takes forever to raise with minimal benefits.
Personal movement speed whether mounted or on foot and the associated stats athletics/riding affect your base party move speed (needs testing)
Cavalry in party and having horses for your foot soldiers to ride increases map movement tremendously, foot soldiers riding horses only recieve about 80% (needs testing) of the movement bonus that cavalry provides.

Negatively affects map speed:
Holding prisoners and higher % of your max weight carried (small penalty)
Lots of wounded soldiers (moderate penalty, wounded soldiers don't ride horses so it can increase your herd size debuff as well)
Herding (dynamic penalty), and Disorganised Army debuffs (more below)
Hauling more weight or prisoners than you can manage (Very harsh penalty the more you go over your limit)

Herding debuff:
Reduces movement speed if you have a lack of soldiers to herd your sheep/pigs/cows/mules/horses, it can be reduced or nullified by having a decent ratio of soldiers to cattle (1:2? needs testing for exact ratio).
Horses being ridden by foot soldiers will not be counted towards the herd.

Disorganized Army debuff:
Temporary debuff after any battle fought, big penalty to your speed for a brief amount of time(1-2 game hours)

Speed bonus from riding horses depends on number of horses and number of foot soldiers. Always keep at least one horse per footman, any more than that don't give any buff/debuff. Another thing is that this bonus is lower if you have bigger army so for example: 45 man squad with 45 riding horses gets 1.23 speed buff but 150 man squad with 150 riding horses gets only 1.07 speed buff.

The More Horses you have the more food you can hold, also it helps on speed.. Plus some troops will not upgrade unless you have some horses.Desert and above are the best ones they dont slow me down at all.

Back
Top Bottom