Discussions and Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

harlehus said:
Saving up really helps but i still think it's viable to manage a big kingdom without any savings.
I'm sure it is but if a couple different kingdoms suddenly end up declaring war on you and you need to raise an army quick you're far better off with deep pockets to manage the hit.

This is the site I use for my images - it's fairly easy to use and free.

http://postimage.org/

Here we go:
The first one is the weekly budget. Keep in mind i have two dyeworks in the negative each losing me 6000 relatively, so when those are fixed the balance is -34000. Also i have 350 elite units in my party, mostly templars. Furthermore i got a lot of unassigned castles that are loosing me a lot of money to garrisons and tax inefficiency. When those are sorted the loss each month will be less still:

The second one is of all my owned land belonging to the respective towns. If i read this correctly they net me about 80.000 each week:

Therefore my income is ~50.000 each week not counting loot and prisoners. If the acre-system would stop bugging out at times i would earn much more.

If you need more info i will be glad to submit it.

Edit: first time not working, second time accidentally quoted myself :facepalm:, third time's the charm

harlehus said:
Here we go:
The first one is the weekly budget. Keep in mind i have two dyeworks in the negative each losing me 6000 relatively, so when those are fixed the balance is -34000. Also i have 350 elite units in my party, mostly templars. Furthermore i got a lot of unassigned castles that are loosing me a lot of money to garrisons and tax inefficiency. When those are sorted the loss each month will be less still:

The second one is of all my owned land belonging to the respective towns. If i read this correctly they net me about 80.000 each week:

Therefore my income is ~50.000 each week not counting loot and prisoners. If the acre-system would stop bugging out at times i would earn much more.

If you need more info i will be glad to submit it.

Edit: first time not working, second time accidentally quoted myself :facepalm:, third time's the charm
Did you use cheats at all in the game? If you did, it makes your argument moot for balance purposes.
How far into the game are you? Granted, having your own kingdom is an endgame feature by design, but my point is the investments in land are substantial up front, and they also take some time to return a profit.

My next question is how long you ran your kingdom at a deficit before your land started seeing profit. Running at a deficit obviously means you will eventually go broke. The whole point is to make money.

@Deathwhisper I suppose my issue is the realism aspect. Just a handful of elite troops cost more than you make from a town's tax revenue. That does not make sense. Holding towns should be the most profitable venture as far as realism. Realistically, you would only be able to hold land in your own kingdom's territory, period. Land ownership was restricted to the nobility in the feudal system. There were a few exceptions, but you could only be a noble in one sovereign's system at a time in most cases. A town's tax revenue should pay for its own garrison. It currently does not even at the highest prosperity level.

Of course i didn't use cheats because then nothing i said would hold any meaning(as you yourself pointed out), i'm actually a bit insulted that you would ask such a thing.
I'm at day 2437 but that is completely irrelevant and mostly because i have waited a lot on lord relationships to improve. If you lack money enlist as a mercenary and get all expenses paid for, invest all loot and prisoner money and when you feel ready and confident in your economic situation start your own kingdom. I have been swimming in money for most of my playthrough whilst having an army of exclusively elite units(which you're not really supposed to or have the need for). As it is dyeworks take 21 days to turn a profit(and a large one as well), that's just insane. If anything the investments should be less economically viable(actually i think it's on a good level now since i enjoy hoarding money.)

I haven't been running a deficit since i started my own kingdom, that's the whole point, you don't wan't to go broke whilst conquering all of Calradia.

Granted it's more difficult to conquer Calradia but that doesn't mean it's unbalanced or undoable. Steamrolling in native was way too easy anyway.

I'm sure one could argue that all the things you said are unrealistic are in fact realistic but let's not discuss that since it's just word against word, different historical 'facts'. Mount and Blade is not realistic by default and shouldn't be. You CANNOT die for instance. Realism/Reality is no fun that is why we play video games to enter enhanced virtual worlds that offer greater visions of existence(or something fancy like that).

harlehus said:
Of course i didn't use cheats because then nothing i said would hold any meaning(as you yourself pointed out), i'm actually a bit insulted that you would ask such a thing.
I'm at day 2437 but that is completely irrelevant and mostly because i have waited a lot on lord relationships to improve. If you lack money enlist as a mercenary and get all expenses paid for, invest all loot and prisoner money and when you feel ready and confident in your economic situation start your own kingdom. I have been swimming in money for most of my playthrough whilst having an army of exclusively elite units(which you're not really supposed to or have the need for). As it is dyeworks take 21 days to turn a profit(and a large one as well), that's just insane. If anything the investments should be less economically viable(actually i think it's on a good level now since i enjoy hoarding money.)

I haven't been running a deficit since i started my own kingdom, that's the whole point, you don't wan't to go broke whilst conquering all of Calradia.

Granted it's more difficult to conquer Calradia but that doesn't mean it's unbalanced or undoable. Steamrolling in native was way too easy anyway.

I'm sure one could argue that all the things you said are unrealistic are in fact realistic but let's not discuss that since it's just word against word, different historical 'facts'. Mount and Blade is not realistic by default and shouldn't be. You CANNOT die for instance. Realism/Reality is no fun that is why we play video games to enter enhanced virtual worlds that offer greater visions of existence(or something fancy like that).

By that logic, we should change all the character models to monkeys that throw feces at each other instead of swinging swords. Anyone can argue anything, but that doesn't make it a valid argument. It's pretty hard to dispute thousands of financial documents from the feudal era, but I guess some nerd fabricated those in a basement, right? He's pretty smart because he even fooled modern techniques of testing for document age.

Insulting you with my questions wasn't my intention, but you may need to talk to a professional if you are that sensitive.

Again i take offense because you hint that i need som sort of proffesionel help to sort myself out. And stop pinning it on sensitivity just be nice and think of how you come across.

I'm sorry to say it but the rest just seems silly and spammy/trolling.

Have a good day.

Hi after playing for some time I think the mod is great. Archers arn't OP like many mods.

My sugestion to further balance this mod due to the many lvls of men's skillz and equipment bonuses would be thus.

1/ Even out all hp points and let the armour upgrades do its thing, so low lvls don't just die when you look at them :smile: .
2/ Lower the charge on horses, some armoured horse have huge bonuses, I recon their armour should be bonus enuff.
3/ Low level shields need a boost.

Due to mens skillz boosting there efectiveness having good effects on archary shield use etc I supose in general I feel like Its all low lvl stuff that needs a boost to make it no so pointless having low lvls around.

But yeah what a great mod, well done.

I know that you have posted a lot of the troops trees of minor factions, but not all of them are on there. I know some are in the bandit troop tree, but that only makes proportion of the troops in that minor faction. Can you add more minor faction troop trees?

Alfredthegreat said:
I know that you have posted a lot of the troops trees of minor factions, but not all of them are on there. I know some are in the bandit troop tree, but that only makes proportion of the troops in that minor faction. Can you add more minor faction troop trees?

Kolkar clan Have no upgrades in their troops right? So they cant really have a tree even if their troops have different ranks. Not sure but I think the tech-troop-tree-mod aren't really compatible with units that have no upgrades.

Service_Disconnect said:
Unless it's been changed in the newer versions, Kolkar troops do upgrade.

It's by far the slowest upgrade in the game though.

Yes you are right! I looked at the highest tier troops (in the troop editor) while I did that assumption, sorry!  :razz:

Hello Deathwhisper. I recently started playing your mod and I must say that I'm finding it very fun. I got my hands on Mount & Blade Warband late last year, and I've been playing it alot since then (soon 500 hours). I've played Vanilla, Diplomacy, Floris and now A New Dawn, and I'm so far finding A New Dawn to be the most fun, but like every mod it has its own faults. I've been gaming for a long while now, played all sorts of different games for disgustingly long times, and I would like to think I can rather quickly establish a very good sense of balance.

Being the creator of the mod, you will have your own artistic vision of what the mod should be, and some of my following suggestions may clash with that, that may be, but I will be frank with what I think about your mod, and what in my personal opinion, you should change.

1. You should put some time into rebalancing item prices.
So, you might've seen the thread I created a week ago or something regarding the prices of various weapons and armours and such. My main complaint is that there are certain items in this game which their prices make no sense whatsoever.
For example, I recently bought a Warlord Helmet or whatever it's called, for about 1800 denars, this item had 63 head armour and weighted something like 2.2 (no modifiers). In the same shop, there was another helmet that cost about 1000 denars, and had 62 head armour and weighted 2.0. Now obviously, everyone (who doesn't have excessively much money), would spend their money on the latter item. But this isn't the only example of item prices that make no sense. I've seen gauntlets that give 8 armour (no modifier) cost more than gauntlets that give 16 armour (no modifier), why? They both weight roughly the same, but the price difference was massive. The same goes for weapons, but there doesn't seem to be the same ridicilous prices when it comes to horses and various goods, this only seems to apply to armour and weapons.

And, I'd like to add that certain items you seem to have forgotten to change some of their values, while retaining them in the mod, making them irrelevant. A good example are throwing weapons. You seem to have upped the ammunition available for all throwing weapons you've added with the mod, but for some reason you haven't done this with the throwing weapons that are already in the game. So there are throwing weapons with 5 ammunition, and others with 30, while the power difference between them is minimal, and of course ammunition available doesn't affect prices, so sometimes you could have a throwing weapon with 5 ammunition cost 10k more than one with 30. This needs fixing aswell.
Specifically on the issue of throwing weapons, my recommendation would be to find some sort of value where each point of damage translates into a certain amount of ammunition available, or something like that. So that the more powerful a throwing weapon is, the less ammunition it has. Minimum amount of ammunition being something like 10. I've made a quick fix for this while I play with Morgh's, giving all throwing weapons 22 ammunition, with all above 60 damage having 18. Something like that could be done aswell.

TLDR: Rebalance item prices to make more sense.

2. Certain units and factions need rebalancing.
Nords are underpowered, without a doubt. They are by far the weakest faction in the game, and the reason is clear: Their infantry is not unique as it is in other mods. The Sarranid and Rhodok both have access to better throwing weaponry with their infantry, as if their infantry having access to better equipment in general wasn't enough.

I recommend you remove throwing weaponry from all infantry belonging to the other main factions, except from the Nords. The Nord infantry need an advantage against the other factions, and this needs to be throwing weaponry, to increase their performance in mid-range and during siegies. And to even stand a chance against factions with good ranged in the field, the shields used by the Nord infantry needs to have high health. They don't necessarily have to be that big and quick, but need good amount of health to last until the infantry reaches their archers unharmed if played correctly.

Some other thoughts regarding balance:
- Juggernauts are extremely overpowered, both as a unit to fight with, but also against after you defeat them. I've found that the best solution to keeping them unique, strong, but not overpowered. Is to turn them into infantry rather than cavalry. It doesn't make sense for cavalry to employ a massive two handed hammer anyways. And to lower their 2h proficiency so they don't attack so quickly with that beast of a weapon of theirs. This'll retain their uniquness as an extremely powerful and durable shock troop, that is rather expensive to employ, and always knocks targets unconsciouss. As it stands right now, they are extremely overpowered. The reason I wrote that they're overpowered to fight against and defeat is that you're garantueed an advanced plate armour for each Juggernaut to defeat, this is a super easy source of money and overpowered armour. I think there should be a chance to loot that piece of armour when you defeat them, but not garantueed, and very low indeed.
- Valkyries are extremely overpowered early game. They usually ride around in small groups, on top of being mounted, making them lightning quick. They are also very strong and durable. This means they will almost always catch up with the player up until very late-game, this is basically the bane of the player early on in the game.
- Foreign Warriors(?), those samurai-like guys, same as with Juggernauts. They're simply too powerful. The problem here is that they're not mounted units, so there's less room for nerfing them. When I've watched them fight, I've noticed what makes them overpowered is their high health and armour, coupled with their extremely strong and most importantly; quick, strikes. Reducing the damage of their weapons would be a good step towards balancing them in my opinion.

I will add more to this point as I play more, I haven't played that much yet but what I've written above is clear as day.

(The following suggestion I think you'll disagree with, but here's my thoughts anyways).
3. Aesthethics

- The final Nord and Swadian units don't match the looks of the rest of their faction. Their names also sound very out of place. The final Rhodok unit, while he looks good and doesn't sound out of place, again doesn't look like the rest of their faction. The Khergits, Sarranid and Vaegirs final units are just fine. Especially well done with the Khergit units, they all look very good and matching. But I take issue with the Nords, Swadians and Rhodoks, and I firmly believe you could do a much better job wih them if you just put down some time into changing the looks of their weapons and armour, names aren't as important of course.
- Certain weapons look very strange aswell, especially many Nord 2h axes. Slightly smaller blades or bigger/thicker handles would contribute to making the weapons look more realistic and good.

I will add more to this post over time, meanwhile I would be very grateful if you take what I've written here in mind. Other than that, I'd just like to thank you again for this fantastic mod that you've created and continue developing to this day. I look forward to all future features and will most definetly continue playing.

MAIN FACTIONS:
NORD:
- Increased Athlethics by 1 on all troops except Berserker & Crazed Berserker.
- Increased Power Throw by 1 on all troops except Berserker & Crazed Berserker.
- Increased Throwing proficiency by 100 on all troops except Berserker & Crazed Berserker.
- (Increased Destroyer Althetics by 2, no increase to Power Throw, Throwing proficiency increased by 115).
Notes: With these changes I hope to make the Nord infantry superior in almost all circumstances in both short and medium range during an equal footing with the enemy, since the Nords don't have access to any other troop types. They need a big advantage over other factions infantry.

SARRANID:
- Removed Throwing weaponry from the following troops: Stinger, Dune Tracker, Impaler, Spear Brother, Paragon, Immortal.
- Removed Throwing proficiency from the following troops: Stinger, Dune Tracker, Impaler, Spear Brother, Paragon, Immortal.
- Removed Power Throw from the following troops: Stinger, Dune Tracker, Impaler, Spear Brother, Paragon, Immortal.
Notes: With these changes I hope to make the Sarranid infantry generally inferior to Nord infantry while still retaining their uniquness as the infantry with the best combination of agility and heavy armour, being stronger than Nord infantry on both points. The Sarranid make up for this loss by still having access to infantry with throwing weaponry, aswell as good ranged cavalry and regular cavalry.

RHODOK:
- Removed Throwing weaponry from the following troops: Footman, Infantry, Sergeant, Legionnaire, Centurion, Champion.
- Removed Throwing proficiency from the following troops: Footman, Infantry, Sergeant, Legionnaire, Centurion, Champion.
- Removed Power Throw from the following troops: Footman, Infantry, Sergeant, Legionnaire, Centurion, Champion.
Notes: With these changes I hope to make the Rhodok infantry generally inferior to Nord infantry while still retaining their uniqueness as the infantry with the strongest heavy armour, but lacking in agility and offensive power. The Rhodok already make up for this loss with having access to dedicated pike infantry to counter cavalry, aswell as two types of crossbowmen, both providing the Rhodok with great ranged capabilities.

VAEGIR:
- Removed Throwing weaponry from the following troops: Border Guard, Iron Guard, Imperial Guard, Horseman, Druzhinnik, Cataphract, Imperial Cataphract.
- Removed Throwing proficiency from the following troops: Border Guard, Iron Guard, Imperial Guard, Horseman, Druzhinnik, Cataphract, Imperial Cataphract.
- Removed Power Throw from the following troops: Border Guard, Iron Guard, Imperial Guard, Horseman, Druzhinnik, Cataphract, Imperial Cataphract.
Notes: With these changes I hope to make the Vaegir infantry generally inferior to Nord infantry, and to make their cavalry less overpowered by not giving them access to throwing weaponry, which they previously had. The Vaegir much like the Sarranid have access to a wide variety of troops, and their infantry and cavalry really didn't need their throwing weaponry.

MINOR FACTIONS:
JUGGERNAUT:
- Removed horse.
- Removed mounted status.
- Removed Riding.
- Lowered 2h proficiency by 200.
Notes: With these changes I hope to nerf what in my opinion made the Juggernaut overpowered, which was the fact that they were a mounted unit, and therefore not held back by what units like them should normally be restricted by, which is their agility. Now, being infantry, they're much slower and can't escape harm as easily as before either, they make up for this nerf with the fact that they have access to one of the most powerful armour sets in the entire game. Lowering their 2h proficiency was done because they were hitting far too fast with a weapon like theirs, this change should make it so that 10 Juggernauts no longer can solo 100 soldiers defending a town or castle.

FOREIGN WARRIOR:
- Lowered 2h proficiency by 100.
Notes: With these changes I hope to nerf what in my opinion made the Foreign Warriors overpowered, which was the fact that they attacked way too fast while being agile, heavily armoured and dealing massive amounts of damage per swing. They make up for this nerf with the fact that they still deal heavy damage, with the same protection and agility as before.

FOREIGN LONGBOWMAN:
- Lowered bow proficiency by 100.
Notes: With these changes I hope to nerf what in my opinion made the Foreign Longbowman overpowered, which was the fact that they could rain down heavy fire upon the enemy while their melee counterpart, the Foreign Warrior, slaughtered everything else. By slightly nerfing the Foreign Longbowman, I hope to achieve the effect that the Foreign Warrior receives less support, thus indirectly nerfing them further.

I'm also trying this formula for throwing weaponry, I will change it in the future to not make stronger throwing weapons so overpowered by barely punishing them:
DAMAGE RANGE - AMMUNITION
10-19 = 50
20-39 = 46
40-59 = 42
60-79 = 38
80-99 = 34
100-119 = 30
120-139- = 26
140-159 = 22
160-179 = 18
180-199 = 14
200-- = 10

I will write a new post later on as I play further, to comment on how these simple changes I've made through Morgh's affect the gameplay balance.

Back
Top Bottom