Dialogues - is addressing 'sir' proper for the period?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nordous

Sergeant Knight
While there is a huge mass of new and unique dialogues in Viking Conquest, some patterns and basic remarks remain in Vanilla wording. And in both cases there is always this 'ser' thing which seems utterly out of place.

Some obvious sources:

'Sir derives from the Middle French honorific title sire (messire gave rise to mylord), from the Old French sieur (itself a contraction of Seigneur meaning 'lord'), from the Latin adjective senior (elder), which yielded titles of respect in many European languages. The form sir is first documented in English in 1297, as title of honor of a knight or baronet, being a variant of sire, which was already used in English since at least c.1205 as a title placed before a name and denoting knighthood, and to address the (male) Sovereign since c.1225, with additional general senses of "father, male parent" is from c.1250 and "important elderly man" from 1362'.

Is this a historical research defect? What do the competent ones think? What titles were authentic and proper during the period?

Well out 'sir' goes with the two-handed axes and everything else in the historical accuracy bathwater...

What's the proper honorific?

"Your worship" is a good title for saxons instead of 'sir' or 'ma'am'  www.a.youversion.com/events/199215

Some others:

Freyja - "Lady" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraujaz
Dryhten - "Lord" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druhtinaz

"Sir" does not have a translation in modern Norwegian which is one of the languages that evolved from Old West Norse, and I believe its the same in Swedish and Danish as well. It does simply not have a corresponding word in those languages, and thus probably not in Old Norse either. From what I can read out of the Eddas and other sagas, one used their names, not titles, to adress people. Also those of importance. But I am neither a linguist nor historian, so I could be wrong.

However, the game is in english, so some leeway must be given to keep a consistent language.

Qualin said:
"Sir" does not have a translation in modern Norwegian which is one of the languages that evolved from Old West Norse, and I believe its the same in Swedish and Danish as well. It does simply not have a corresponding word in those languages, and thus probably not in Old Norse either. From what I can read out of the Eddas and other sagas, one used their names, not titles, to adress people. Also those of importance. But I am neither a linguist nor historian, so I could be wrong.

However, the game is in english, so some leeway must be given to keep a consistent language.

I agree with the first part :smile:
But yes is in english, but i still Think 'sir' and 'ma'am' dont fit in this DLC...
However we could use lot of time to discus what they really used in this period, i think a simple thing as 'my King' and 'my lord' and 'my lady' even this would be used in a later period..

Back
Top Bottom