DevTeam Interview - What to ask? (answers on 6th page!)

Your ideas on the method of the interview?

• Text is enough.

Votes: 196 34.0%
  • Text is good but sound would be great.

Votes: 36 6.2%
  • Sound is a must and that's it.

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Video would be great but sound is fine.

Votes: 35 6.1%
  • Video would be great but text is fine.

Votes: 193 33.4%
  • Video is a must.

Votes: 111 19.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Maelstorm said:
M&B is not an action RPG, it's a SANDBOX Action RPG. Thus, there is no defined story. I don't really understand the fuss about this. M&B has more immersion than, say, diablo, an action RPG with story.

Sandbox action RPG have stories.

Maelstorm said:
Yeah, there could be a good story, but then again, someone has said "all rpgs at least have a tiny story", that's what I'm responding. Having a story just for the sake of having a story would end us up in discussing "geez, get a real story or just keep the game sandbox!".

Well, I imagined that the m&b dev team can imagine a good story. (And tiny story can be good. The size doesn't not matters). No need to do crap when you have the capacity (as everyone) to make a good story.

IMHO it's a bad design decision that could will be interpreted as rather motivated by laziness rather than a real design for the game.
It's not really a problem as mods can add more consistent quest and better immersion. But does the press journalist and peoples disappointed by a game that they will find repetitive will search if there are mods for this game ?

But I can be wrong : as always, wait and see.

Sorry to have bored you with this advice.

Considering how the game plays, what with the factions making peace and war off and on, I can't really see any good major story line that would really fit this game.

I could understand if the option you choose at the beginning (why you chose to leave) creates a small quest for you to do, like if you chose revenge, then a party could be spawned and maybe you could make it your goal to take them down. That's really the only way I see this happening.

Now can we please let go of this story thing and get back to the interview? If you want to whine about the lack of a major central plot, do it in a thread in the suggestion board; not here.

One question that I didn't see asked is what he plans to work on in the future.  I know that a while ago there was talk of m&b 2  as the next project, which could possibly include MP.  I'm sure he is probably focused on this release and hasn't thought too much on and probably wants a break, but I'm sure ideas have crossed his mind.  Perhaps someone could shed some light on this, and eventually hopefully him :smile:  Take care.
-calimer

You don't need all the elements in a story to be fixed in place to make a narrative.  It doesn't need to be linear and if this game had more political/economic style parts it would probably evolve naturally out of the enemy reactions to the player.  As it is, nothing is personalised enough to become narratively important.

Folthrik said:
Too bad there aren't any real immersing features like hunting :sad:

Well even it would be a great thing to include, don't forget that Mount & Blade in the first place has always been a medieval battle simulater, something like that.

A game without story is TRUE sandbox. A sandbox game has a goal, not 20 missions. Crysis had sandbox missions, but it wasn't a sandbox game. And the goal in Mount&Blade is to conquer everything and everyone! And that is one the million things I love of Mount&Blade.

Mount&Blade, do what you want, when you want, how you want! :wink:

See, and that's where we don't see eye to eye. I think of conquest and battle as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

just to the people that NEED a story there is such a thing as a mod so in stead of looking at M&B like make your own story you can look at it like "download" your own story and to the people that don't know a good source of mods would be that unofficalrespority

Gawain said:
If there will be any small bugs, I'm pretty sure the community here takes care of them quite fast. Also modders can finally port their mods to a version they can be sure of never changing again. That will allow them to work on huge mods without fearing of getting incompatible after few months repeatedly.

A story is entirely possible in mods.  It's entirely possible for the M&B team's next project.  What is the point of complaining about it now?  I haven't been able to figure out why anyone is still talking about a story.  ¿End of subject?

Also, a comment on marketing: Way back in 19-.808, a friend showed me this game where you ride horses and kill people.  Simple.  And I got a hold of a demo and got to level 6.  They told me I had to buy the game to continue playing.  Suddenly I realized how horribly addicted I'd become.  I was failing classes, I forgot about friends and family, and I even forgot that I was an alcoholic.  All I wanted was more slaughter (via horse).  So there was no option really.  I had to buy the game. 

I used to have a life.  I used to have dreams.  I hope the game is marketed the same way.

Swordy McSwordington said:
I was failing classes, I forgot about friends and family, and I even forgot that I was an alcoholic.
:lol: Now that's therapy for you! Replace one addiction with another, only this new one costs you money only once and doesn't damage your health (aside from getting a fat ass from sitting at the computer all the time). :grin:

Ringwraith #5 said:
Swordy McSwordington said:
I was failing classes, I forgot about friends and family, and I even forgot that I was an alcoholic.
:lol: Now that's therapy for you! Replace one addiction with another, only this new one costs you money only once and doesn't damage your health (aside from getting a fat ass from sitting at the computer all the time). :grin:
  i went from almost 400 pounds to 239...so its like weight watchers for me :smile: so ty for mount and blade whoever made it.

hey Armagan, i have always wandered why did you make M&B's world so westernized. there isn't even one distinct turk or arabic faction. (okay, khergits resemble mongols and i knows that some turks think mongols are also turks. but anyway it's just some random nomad faction in a western setting). imho, placing the whole story in a muslim themed setting would be very fresh and appealing. why did you decide to make another medieval european action-rpg instead?

I don't know if Armagan will answer that, but I think that a westernised setting would appeal to larger audiences who are used to sword & sorcery games like Neverwinter Nights, Diablo or whatnot and fans of books and stories set in such a fantasy setting, like ASOIAF or LOTR to some extent.

As it stands now, M&B is the perfect book for an ASOIAF fan. No magic and no horse-**** like Elves coming to the rescue or evil Orcs. Just plain medieval bone-cracking in which the villains are whoever you think they are and everyone is morally ambiguous. Like in real life.

RaVeN said:
Janus said:
RaVeN said:
Question(maybe too late?)

-Will the flat chest on female characters wearing armors be fixed?
No, this isn't a fantasy MMORPG that has no idea of what women in armor actually look like.

:wink:

Serious note: armor should actually protect the person wearing it, and thus will be thick enough to largely mask the female form and offer enough coverage that she isn't half naked.

What I actually said was aimed towards softer armor such as shirt, tunic, nobleman outfit and maybe leather. They should atleast change a little bit of shape when wore by a female. I know that a plate armor changing size and shape when wore by a female like in Oblivion is laughable.

you just wanna see some side boobie  :mrgreen: thats what they made sword sisters for :razz: best infantry/cavalary there is....i got bout 1500-3500 of em

Hey guys. I have arrived at my place but currently having some various problems that keep me busy (one of them being a bug infestation!). It will come but the time, I can't say now. Can't be too late though!

Back
Top Bottom