'Developer Reply' Tag / Marker for Forum Threads

Users who are viewing this thread

IIRC, the last time it was talked about the most feasible method to implement (i.e. not something that would have to be developed in-house) would have to check every post in every thread listed on the page being viewed for posts by users on a list of devs and update the formatting for those threads individually each time a page was called. To say it would hinder performance is an understatement. This post from a XenForo dev is dated from 2013, but it meshes with what I've heard and read more recently about the potential for such a feature. In summary, it would be very easy to highlight threads which are started by a dev, or where the dev was the most recent post, but information about all the posts between isn't available at the same level and so would require a much more intensive search process.
I don't know which add-on they are using, but Frontier Developments manages to do that just fine on their forums.

It's also a direct link to the first dev post and you can jump to the next dev post by clicking the icon below their name.

Ah to be honest, it just feels like yet another example of TW saying "Ah sorry, we can't do that - it's too complicated". And we aren't even talking about the game. Just the forum.
I was going to say this. I believe what they are saying about dev tag thing you want but this excuse is rather getting amusing to hear.

I don't know which add-on they are using, but Frontier Developments manages to do that just fine on their forums.

It's also a direct link to the first dev post and you can jump to the next dev post by clicking the icon below their name.
Not only that, but there's a link for dev posts in the main drop-down in the top left. I'll see if I can find out more, because we genuinely want this but haven't found a good solution yet.

Ah to be honest, it just feels like yet another example of TW saying "Ah sorry, we can't do that - it's too complicated". And we aren't even talking about the game. Just the forum.

Yeah, it would need some new code to be written and then some testing. Ok. So do it.
Be cynical all you like, we all know there's ample reason to, but additional forum functionality is typically handled by Janus and he has always been quick & efficient.

Last edited:
It would be greatly beneficial to the community. Not just to quickly look up dev posts but also to see that Devs actually post a lot on most threads, they just fly under the radar for the most parts and are thus sometimes and inaccurately accused of having little interaction with the community.

Be cynical all you like, we all know there's ample reason to, but additional forum functionality is typically handled by Janus and he has always been quick & efficient.
Ah, this I didn't know. Ok , well it would be really great if he could manage to do it.

Last edited:
In summary, it would be very easy to highlight threads which are started by a dev, or where the dev was the most recent post, but information about all the posts between isn't available at the same level and so would require a much more intensive search process.

What about auto tagging / threadmarking?

If a user in the Dev group posts -anywhere- either in reply or post creation, the current tags get overwritten with a tag "Dev Reply"?

Or if you want to pinpoint the exact location of the dev reply, add a threadmark? XF has a ton of add ons specifically for that purpose.
With threadmarking you can list ALL dev replies in a thread if you'd want to do so.

It's a forum suggestion, not a game suggestion so I have good hopes! Especially since several members of the forum team indicated that they've been looking for a feature like this.

I know from a former forum that they had auto tag creation tied to specific user group on the forum. So everytime some in that user group commented, it'd overwrite all tags with "Team".

Now it doesn't let you click and go to the reply, but you are made aware that there are "Team" replies in that thread.

Perhaps it's a -little less functional but equally elegant- solution for this forum.

Back
Top Bottom