Deploying troops on map before battle

Good idea?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

It's literally a thing that's already in the game but they haven't enabled. I don't understand why. Someone did so with a mod. The higher your skills the larger the deployment zone. So much better.
Probably going to get scrapped like deflecting an arrow in mid air perk and pushing shield enemies back with polearm thrusts.

I disagree (though the marching formations idea is pretty cool) not because it's an objectively bad idea, it's a good idea on its own. But the key is that Bannerlord has you taking the role of a general on the ground. Historically, you wouldn't have been able to get a bird's eye view of the battle and teleport your troops where you wanted them before battle was joined. When two armies met in the field, they had to deploy at that moment. There are quite a few major battles which were won precisely because one side wasn't able to deploy fast enough.

I like it for sieges because you'd have plenty of time to array your forces during a siege, whichever side you're on. But for field battles, you're either in a marching formation or camping when you contact the enemy, and in either case your men wouldn't already have had time to deploy. For that reason, I prefer the system as we have it. It forces you to see things from the perspective a general in history would, and that's classic Mount and Blade right there.
Its actually the role of a captian or the likes. A general commanded thousands. Hence captain mode.

There should be at least some kind of division memory that game will remember how many divisions would the player divide infantry, archers etc into, and we could start with as many divisions at once. Dividing them into divisions again and again would tire players. Personally, i would divide inf into two divisions all the time, i would like that if there was a setting i can put it in and game will remember it in each battle.
But but but but...warband mods had that didnt they.

Already a perk in the game (inactive for the moment).
But remember that they scrapped a bunch of placeholder perks in game. And i bet it was because they couldnt implement them.

I have a mod that does what everyone wants. But its inactive for the moment.

We have something in the works for battles that is similar to the siege deployment phase that is currently in-game. I'm not sure when it will be ready though.
On July 30, hope it comes soon and it lets you arrange them in formations too.

Already a perk in the game (inactive for the moment).
Because that entire perk line is un-codded I think they're probably giving it a whole re-make. If they do tie it to tactics skill I hope they also add a different or secondary use to the tactics skill it'self. Small Advantage in autocalc is petty useless for MC and I find wanderers with high steward(thus bigger parties) outperform tactics having wanderers in AI fights.

But remember that they scrapped a bunch of placeholder perks in game. And i bet it was because they couldnt implement them.

I have a mod that does what everyone wants. But its inactive for the moment.
Surely they wouldn't scrap this perk, it's the most useful perk in the whole tactics skill tree.

For the ones earlier in this thread claiming that the current system (no pre-positioning before the battle) is realistic or immersive, consider this:

In real life, you can set standards and protocols years or miles before you get to any battlefield. You could state to your team of 20 mercenaries or to your army of 1000 professional Soldiers, "Hey, we're going to fight like this with archers in a wide-interval line up front, medium infantry in the middle with shields up, and cavalry on the flanks in a skein". That's all you would need to do and a well-drilled or even an amateur force should be able to get into formation (certainly by the time you're a few battles in during your play-through).

This is also why I play with the mod that slows things down while you're issuing orders. In real life, you wouldn't say, "you go here and array yourself like this and then do this....etc". You would simply say, "execute a right envelopment" or you'd have a certain horn pattern or flag signal. It's faster than a person could say or do anything and that's by design. In real life, a commander isn't going to be holding the hands of his units.

Lastly, if they implement this perk sometime soon, you always have the choice to not make use of this common sense tactic that armies have utilized for millennia :wink:

I disagree (though the marching formations idea is pretty cool) not because it's an objectively bad idea, it's a good idea on its own. But the key is that Bannerlord has you taking the role of a general on the ground. Historically, you wouldn't have been able to get a bird's eye view of the battle and teleport your troops where you wanted them before battle was joined. When two armies met in the field, they had to deploy at that moment. There are quite a few major battles which were won precisely because one side wasn't able to deploy fast enough.

I like it for sieges because you'd have plenty of time to array your forces during a siege, whichever side you're on. But for field battles, you're either in a marching formation or camping when you contact the enemy, and in either case your men wouldn't already have had time to deploy. For that reason, I prefer the system as we have it. It forces you to see things from the perspective a general in history would, and that's classic Mount and Blade right there.
You may not have the birds eye. But you have scouts who would probably make crude maps for you and the enemy composition. You would be able to deploy to the best terrain you have around you and set up at least crude formations. Or even set ambushed in tall grass

Ah whatever we have time :smile: Game still being developed I am confident devs understand importance of this feature,it just may not be high on priority list as there is still so many things to work on. Taking whole picture into the account game development is heading is awesome direction,in my opinion but we still need to voice our thoughts on what we think is important, especially that it looks like the devs do listen to feedback, which is such a rare thing nowdays :grin:

Back
Top Bottom