Deploying troops on map before battle

Good idea?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

It is already a perk for one of the skills in game. Idk if you need it to do it before sieges, but definitely for field battles.

I would prefer everyone having the option any time (except special cases like hideout attacks) but it's not a big deal. It takes two seconds to position everybody as your character once it starts.

I would like to have it, but thats mainly because i have clumsy fingers and start panicking over asking my archers to charge with blunt weapons in a loose formation while walking backwards bowing ever 15 meters while doing their taxes…. atleast thats how it feels when i hit F2 instead of F3 by mistake sometimes :grin:

It is already a perk for one of the skills in game. Idk if you need it to do it before sieges, but definitely for field battles.

I would prefer everyone having the option any time (except special cases like hideout attacks) but it's not a big deal. It takes two seconds to position everybody as your character once it starts.
It should stay a perk that can be unlocked. It'll give some incentive to players to increase strategy skills.

I think the best way to implement it in the game would be by attaching this ability to a specific skill or perk. Maybe the higher the skill, the more likely to see where enemy troops are, and this could lead to interesting situations involving ambushes and whatnot.

I think that this detracts from the hands on approach to leadership that m&b games take as compared to other strategy games such as total war.
In all their games you are forced to ride in front of your army or use a hill in order to view the battlefield and organise them accordingly. This is even more prevalent in certain mods that provide larger battle maps and therefore more time to organise your army.
I hope that it stays this way given that they make much larger maps and place the armies as far apart as possible upon spawning.

instead I would insert the possibility of having "marching formations".
These, based on how the troops are deployed, vary the speed of movement of the army on the campaign map and when you come into contact with the enemy (simple encounter on the field, ambush made or suffered), that same formation is automatically assumed .
Clearly, this formation must then be modified in real time if it is not suitable for battle but only for walking.

So everyone chooses a type of training that best suits their playing style.
Such training should not be part of a training preset, but be freely set.
Clearly an algorithm would be needed that associates a given speed value of the army with each different arrangement of troops on the plane.
So this algorithm should take into account:
- average distance between the closest troops.
- type of formation adopted by each troop(line,column,shield wall).
- module of the army width ( the dimension orthogonal to the direction of travel).
- army length module (dimension parallel to the direction of travel)
the width has a great impact on the reduction of running speed (because many obstacles are encountered when crossing a large area of territory)
The length has a much lesser impact than the width but it has it anyway (more people form a row and more a problem of a single subject has repercussions on the speed of the others ... like one who ****s on himself and practically stops the row because he is ****ting around ...)

I think I explained myself.

I disagree (though the marching formations idea is pretty cool) not because it's an objectively bad idea, it's a good idea on its own. But the key is that Bannerlord has you taking the role of a general on the ground. Historically, you wouldn't have been able to get a bird's eye view of the battle and teleport your troops where you wanted them before battle was joined. When two armies met in the field, they had to deploy at that moment. There are quite a few major battles which were won precisely because one side wasn't able to deploy fast enough.

I like it for sieges because you'd have plenty of time to array your forces during a siege, whichever side you're on. But for field battles, you're either in a marching formation or camping when you contact the enemy, and in either case your men wouldn't already have had time to deploy. For that reason, I prefer the system as we have it. It forces you to see things from the perspective a general in history would, and that's classic Mount and Blade right there.

I like the idea. I understand the opposing view as well and think the "marching orders" idea might be a good middle ground.

I do think it makes sense historically for to be able to draw up battle formations before the engagement. It's not like the Normans and Anglo-Saxons just bumped into eachother at the battle of Hastings. If you think about how battles work in Warband, they start with a parlay. You meet with the other army's commander and discuss what's about to happen. Presumably, your army isn't just sitting around in a clump while this happens.

Where it does make sense to me for you to have to scramble a bit is if you are ambushed or if there's some sort of surprise attack on your camp. If you're a low level commander with a small band of peasants and you happen to cross paths with bandits, it makes sense to have to issue orders on the fly. That's why I do kind of like having it tied to a perk.

I like the idea. I understand the opposing view as well and think the "marching orders" idea might be a good middle ground.

I do think it makes sense historically for to be able to draw up battle formations before the engagement. It's not like the Normans and Anglo-Saxons just bumped into eachother at the battle of Hastings. If you think about how battles work in Warband, they start with a parlay. You meet with the other army's commander and discuss what's about to happen. Presumably, your army isn't just sitting around in a clump while this happens.

Where it does make sense to me for you to have to scramble a bit is if you are ambushed or if there's some sort of surprise attack on your camp. If you're a low level commander with a small band of peasants and you happen to cross paths with bandits, it makes sense to have to issue orders on the fly. That's why I do kind of like having it tied to a perk.

I suppose that does make sense. Or perhaps even the Strategy skill. Maybe every battle, both commanders make a roll to see if their Strategy is sufficient to have deployed before properly engaging, with the timeframe they had to work with.

There should be at least some kind of division memory that game will remember how many divisions would the player divide infantry, archers etc into, and we could start with as many divisions at once. Dividing them into divisions again and again would tire players. Personally, i would divide inf into two divisions all the time, i would like that if there was a setting i can put it in and game will remember it in each battle.

Last edited:
I agree. First of, no commander would ever charged within 500 meters of enemy line and than stopped " ok enemy is advancing let me organize my troops, set lines, sort groups and formations... oh enemy is already 50 meters from my troops and arrows already killed half my army and enemy cav is already hiting from flank hmmmm how did this happen".
Secondly, any good strategy game lets you do it. One of most successful franchises, Total War, of course lets you deploy your troops before battle.

I know many people, no offence to anyone intended, just press everyone charge and have their armies in 4 basic groups either coz they cba or just play on 1/3 difficulty so it doesnt matter. But on realistic in battles where you are outnumbered like 2 or 3 to 1 i find i can win most of time by utilising all 8 groups (wish there was more like 12), using all options on the table in formations and reactivley moving soldiers between groups (for example my group 8 is right cav flank, 7 is left cav flank and 6 is cav reserve from which cav is moved to group 7 or 8 as needed depending on battle development etc. my infantry tends to be in group 1 and 3 where 1 is middle and main holding line with good armor and shields and 3 tends to be faster shock troops that dance around group 1 depending what happens, ranged just generic group 2, 5 is companions and family sort of elite cav hehe, 4 i keep empty for splits like if i decide i want to take part of shock infantry and run them somewhere or split of part of archers and move them to the secured flank but still keep some archers behind main group or split of part of main wall infantry from group 1 and play two flanking mini armies as in left cav+wall infantry + archers and right cav+wall inf+shock troops or something possibilities are endless. ofc you cant use default keybinds for example i have groups on 1-5, t,g,b and orders on q,e,r,f,v,c,x,z. My muscle memory after hundreds of hours in bannerlord now allows me to deploy lines and formations super fast as soon as i see what terrain i am on but really... you drop in battle, without knowing what terrain ur on and with your forces just put in default positions which are not that good and if you are not fast enought, meaning if you dont come up with keybinds that are easy for you and develop muscle memory so you dont have to think what to press... you are ****ed if you play realistic mode, are outnumbered, drop on terrain not good for your army composition like forest when you have way too many archers for it etc. Just... what the hell is this strategy game or arcade twich reaction turbo fast press million keys fast or you are dead... not only t6he fact that tactics perk that should let you deploy doent work and there is no mod to fix it (only one mod on nexus but doesn't work with 1.4.3 and iffy on 1.4.2, wayyyy out of date) but this should be normal feature without any perks, like in any strategy game, strategy simulation etc. otherwise it is just frustrating. Rly, when i started i pent few days working out my keybinds, drilling formations and troop movement etc in moded custom battles where enemy would just stand far far away and i was able to have peace and plenty of time to practice, drill in muscle memory etc... I really dont think many people can be arsed to do that hence memes and general thinking that bannerlord is just f1 f3. Dont fix the perk, remove it, give us normal deployment before battle like any normal strategy. You ahve it in game already ! sidges. Just move the same deployment system to ALL battles.Deployment area may be tactic perks and skill depended sure but for the love of gods, deploying system is already in the game can we please use it :smile:

Rant aside I LOVE the game can't wait to see how it develops over coming years :grin: Work well and fast, get past early access, release dlcs my wallet is waiting open and ready. For 20 years I played all total war games, bought all and all dlcs and always dreamed that would be so cool to be on that battlefield, have a character representing me in game in that battle chaos, I am so angry I havent tried MB games before now, MB BL is fast becoming my favourite game... and I am a house husband i have pretty much 7-8 hours a day allocated for gaming every single day and since I got BL few weeks ago... I havent been playing anything else :grin: well apart from occasional TWWH2 online battles... still, best game ever.

It's literally a thing that's already in the game but they haven't enabled. I don't understand why. Someone did so with a mod. The higher your skills the larger the deployment zone. So much better.

Back
Top Bottom