Dead by Daylight

Users who are viewing this thread

http://beta.deadbydaylight.com/

Beta just came online. You need to sign up, then get three people to click your link, after which all four of you get a key. Just did it with my friends, and thought you all could use this thread to get each other keys.

It's a survival-horror coop game, where one person is the murderer. From what I understand it's in the vein of L4D and somewhat like Slasher mode from GTAV. If anyone else gets in, let me know and I'll be down to play.

After playing a few rounds in private lobbies, I can say it's good "Oh ****, oh ****, oh ****" fun. I can imagine it not being too great with pubbers, but with a few friends it's very entertaining and hilarious. And who knows, maybe the randomness of pubbers would improve it. Will have to try some pub games.

A friend of mine started a round for keys, so I'm now part of a frustrated group of four. You can't queue with your friends in the beta. All you can do to play with your friends is host a private lobby in which no XP is earned, or repeatedly queue into matchmaking until you get into the same game as them which is very unreliable. Character unlocks are randomized per player per victim, so you may get unlucky like me and not have a single victim with a medkit readily available to unlock. Likewise, you can get random rewards from certain character upgrade nodes, and the first one I got for the killer is a very rare bear trap mod that causes the traps to put victims in the dying state instead of just immobilizing & wounding them (also got a trap camouflage mod so they're harder to see :lol:).

The rewards you get as killer for a partial wipe are dramatically higher than what you get as a busybody victim that successfully escapes. As an example, one game I killed 2 of 4 people, got almost 19k points. As a victim where I started 3 of 5 generators myself + rescued someone from a hook + escaped, I got 10k points. Stressing over "winning" as the killer is pointless, the best thing for you to do is just be as brutal as possible to increase your score. Plant traps in grass around generators and near people you hang on hooks, constantly roam, inflict as many wounds as you can. Whenever you stick someone on a hook and the generators aren't on, patrol around the hook to catch anyone coming to free them. Even if the whole group shows up to distract you and save their buddy, you can still wound some of the others and make it easier to find them later. Wounded victims constantly moan and groan, so they're easy to find in lockers and are likely to be more mobile (if they're smart). Hook kill progress doesn't reset when someone is rescued from the hook (generator progress doesn't reset if you cancel either), so eventually you can kill everyone regardless of rescues by repeatedly hooking them.

As a victim, best advice is to keep your head up. You'll often see the killer long before you get an audio cue, and if you watch where he's going you can better decide where to go yourself. It's also very easy to tell when he's placing or picking up a bear trap because it's the only time he'll ever crouch down. You can repair generators faster with multiple people (up to 3) but you all have to pay attention for the timing check. Random people will be assigned a timing check at random intervals, and the backfire of the generator usually draws the killer to you. This isn't a very reliable way to create a distraction, because you may never get a timing check during a repair. Contrary to the best advice, you also want to watch where you put your feet because stepping on traps notifies the killer but disarming them does not.

Supposedly the biggest gripe people have is hook sabotaging. Getting a toolkit lets you destroy every hook except those in the basement, and while the hooks in the basement are the easiest to defend for the killer they generally take longer to get to because you have to navigate through the door and stairs. On the plus side, if you catch anyone trying to rescue their buddy there are 4 hooks down there, so you've got room for the whole gang.

So, my brother's rich friend bought it for us apparently. The new monsters are fun, especially the invisible guy. I've actually not seen the trapper being used in my 5 or so games not in the beta. Despite having no voice chat or communication at all, teamwork happens pretty naturally. Even acts of selflessness. A few rounds ago, me and three pubbers had managed to get all the generators on and the exit gate open without any trouble. Three of us were waiting at the gate for the last guy to show up, when suddenly he gets hit and dragged down to the basement. One of the dudes at the gate splits out of the level, but me and the other guy decide to go back and get the last guy. We basically just bumrushed the monster, since we both had full health and could take a hit apiece before going down. While he flailed at us desperately, one of us grabbed him off the hook and then all three of us made it out. Felt good.

It's good fun. Chief gripe with it is the fact that you can't queue up with friends in anything but a private lobby wherein you earn no EXP and can invite only friends*. So unless you have 5 people ready to play, there's no real way to get into a full game with friends.

I don't think you can open it after your friends are in, at least.

So it's officially out now and they still don't have that basic functionality? That killed the beta for me, and I don't see myself or any of my friends picking it up unless that's added.

http://www.deadbydaylight.com/thelastbreath/

New killer, new map, and new survivor. Game has become one of my current favorites over the past two or so months.

Does anyone else play? I'd like to have a consistent team to play with, instead of the scattershoot that is random lobbies.

Insofar that if you get a **** team you're ****ed as the survivor, or if you get a cohesive team it becomes very difficult as the killer.

Well, maybe not 100% ****ed if your team is trash. You can still do quite a lot by yourself, but if everyone gets themselves killed in short order at the start, you're not going to be able to fix many generators without them, being that the killer is free to just roam between them and find you, and the repair time for a single generator is far greater than the time it takes him to make a round of the map checking them all. I mean, if you've got enough generators going before you're the last alive, you can always go for the escape hatch, but I've had few experiences in gaming as stressful as sprinting around with the killer inches behind you, desperately scanning the ground for a metal hatch and listening for the audio cue.

tl;dr

If you have a team that works well together you're exponentially more likely to win as a survivor or lose if you're the killer.

I don't really consider it a balance issue, considering that the very nature of the game's drop system is based around providing one-off advantages that can only be used in a single match. It's sort of a meta game of knowing when you're going to be able to win a match without using an offering, or knowing when you're going to need one to give you an edge. If I'm in a lobby with a bunch of really low levels, I'll usually take a medkit and do some team-wide offering like darkening the moon or something, but if I see a bunch of dudes who've hit level 50 and gone into prestige mode, I'm generally more comfortable either using no offering or using a personal one that boosts EXP gains for myself, since I figure I'm likely to win anyway. It all evens itself out, and as far as my experience goes, you have to come to terms with the fact that you're not going to win every single match, so it's all about doing your best to mitigate the EXP loss to preserve and advance your rank. You can still rank up on a loss, if you did well enough. And that's only if you even bother to play the game for ranks, and not just for fun.

So, I've been playing it a **** ton recently. Climbing higher than I've ever gotten on the ranked ladder as survivor. Does anyone else play/ want to try and hit rank 1 together?

If anyone hasn't checked in a while, they've added a ton of new killers/survivors/maps/items/perks. And with the Steam sale on and the double points weekend starting on the 28th, now's the time to get in. Please. ;_;

Fishy's back to beg, baby. Free weekend and two rather large updates have recently hit.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/381210/Dead_by_Daylight/

Back
Top Bottom