SP Antiquity Dawn of Man - The Neolithic Mod, party like its 9999 BC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, I think you'd be able to acquire territory when it starts working.  I don't think the faction would seek to acquire villages and cities on their own, I think they'd be limited to raiding permanent settlements as the only real interactions with them.  If you become a Chief of a faction though, you could definitely capture villages and begin installing your culture as a permanently settled faction.

I saw your link to the giant ape, I think its pretty neat.  I think its one of the "Alternative Prehistory" concepts, but I'd like him to be a kind of Easter Egg roaming around somewhere in the world...

Savages everywhere rejoice!

Development Screens!
b0IWCnq.jpg

4lYHnKM.jpg

tGVso35.jpg

VIopjvC.jpg

OzGp6ml.jpg

t0oVweN.jpg

ZQOv818.jpg

Gk4ny3Y.jpg

ANqGP40.jpg

SVRE1lJ.jpg

7SeMqh7.jpg

I'm especially proud of the Shark-Tooth sword, though its not finished yet.

I've done some experiments with throwing specular and normal maps on some of the old M&B equipment, actually looks pretty decent, I'm going to try using some of the Stone-Age friendly stuff.

Huge thanks to the TLD crew for making it OSP!  Lots of great models from that mod, though I've put a Stone-Age twist on them and created normal and spec maps.

So many good OSPs, working on a credits file to attribute them all properly!

More screens and progress inbound over the weekend.

Awesome work.

I almost always play as non-humans in just about any game that allows it, but I'm of the opinion here that it would be better off if these groups were exceedingly rare in-game like you said.

In mods like Europe 1200 you can change your faction's culture by talking to your minister once you own your own faction. It would be cool if, despite not owning any territory themselves at the start, non-humans could be restored to greater numbers by the player's chiefdom taking their culture. Despite their extremely difficult early game, humanity's offshoots could potentially redeem themselves.

In older versions of the mod, when you captured a village it would change the culture of that village to the conquering faction.  I've since lost the original codebase, but I believe it was as simple as changing a slot, I'll look into this again.

As for enabling Campaign AI for minor factions,  I don't think I'd need to go that far per se.  I would like to look into doing "Raiding" at the party level, rather than requiring a Chief(lord) to make that decision.  I'd like any party that is large enough to consider raiding hostile villages, and I think that might be enough.  It would take a leader, i.e. you, to take a permanent settlement as part of a Nomadic/Hunter-Gatherer faction.

Made some more changes to the overall combat system.  To deal with the lack of higher-tier armors, some focus has been shifted to the RPG aspects.

There's a "Damage Soak", currently attached to the Stoneflesh skill.

There's a increased chance to knockdown an opponent when in melee combat if you have a greater STR than your opponent.  Many blunt weapons have an  increased chance to knockdown.

There's a Shield Bash, associated with the Shield Skill.  The higher the skill, the more likely you are to knock down your enemy rather than just bashing them.

Hand-to-hand damage is increased by 1 point per point of Power Strike.  You have an increased chance to knock down(Grapple?) an opponent when attacking hand-to-hand.  May work in the ability to disarm opponents in hand-to-hand.

Athletics currently gives a 2% chance per point to "Dodge" attacks.  A shorter hit animation is played, and you will take 1 damage rather than the full force of the attack.  May change this to only apply to ranged attacks?

The Engineer(Changed to Craftsman) Skill will reduce the likelihood of your weapons breaking in combat, in addition to its other effects.

There's also the ability to Forage for food, associated with the Looting(Changed to Scavenging) Skill.  It offsets the food requirements of your group rather than giving you additional food.  While it can be effective for a small group of warriors, you will never be able to fully support a War-Party on foraging alone.

Thanks man!  The combat piece has come together pretty nicely, I'm happy with the way combat feels I think.  Did a lot of tweaks to the way terrain is generated so battlefields are less static.  Definitely has a distinct flavor from Vanilla Warband.

I think I need to strip some of the effectiveness from bows.  Shields are less common and lesss durable, so arrows are the nuclear weapon of the Stone Age.  Arrows come in batches of 20 so if you're clever you can get them to waste their arrows and engage safely.

Slings have more ammo, so there's not much way around those.

Kind of a Design-theoryish kind of post.

As it stands, at least when I play the game, there are certain skills I never use as the benefits don't seem worth the skill point.  I've been kind of inspired by the Native Skills Reworked OSP and I'd like to try to do that here.

The Stone Age is a different time, and different skills are needed to survive and thrive.  I'd like to rework the attributes as such:
STR
AGI
INT
PER - Perception, replacing Charisma, which may not make sense here.  Each point in PER increases the chance to score a Critical hit in combat.

Perception would relate to raw ability, as well as a trained ability to pick out important things from the environment.

Code:
Att	Skill Name	Effects
AGI	Warrior	Weapon Master
AGI	Athletics	Run Speed
AGI	Warrior	Weapon Master.
AGI	Shields	Shield breaks less, Shield Bash more effective.
AGI	Reflexes	Chance to dodge incoming attacks.
INT	Leadership	Leader + Prisoner Management
INT	Craftsman	Break weapons less, build village improvements
INT	Warfare	Tactics.  Allows for different battle start options at higher levels.
INT	Beastmaster	Capture / Tame animals.
INT	Herbalism	Wound Treatment.
INT	Bone-Setting	First Aid + Surgery
INT	Languages	Persuasion + Trade
INT	Trainer	Trainer
PER	Hunter	Tracking.   Deal more damage to animals.
PER	Wayfinding	Move faster on world map.
PER	Scavenging	Looting + Foraging
PER	Precision	Deal more damage with ranged weapons?
PER	Senses	Spotting...other stuff?
STR	Stoneflesh	HP + 2
STR	Power Strike	Power Strike
STR	Power Throw	Power Throw
STR	Power Draw	Power Draw
STR	Carrying	Inventory Management.  Decrease malus from equipment weight?  Carry extra ammunition?

STR	BONUS	1 Hp
AGI	BONUS	5 WP
INT	BONUS	1 Skill Point
PER	BONUS	1% chance to deal critical damage?

Still very much WIP.  Any comments/ideas/riffs on this?

I think having Surgery + First Aid in a single skill is way too strong with the Native values. On the other hand if you nerf the values too much it can quickly become worthless (Surgery going just from 4% to 3% is still a quarter less). Having three medical skills makes it quite harder to get maximum value from them, which is quite logical since they're so strong usually. (if given to a companion, s/he usually won't learn anything more than those and Trainer)

Dodge can be frustrating (coming from Warsword Conquest where some units have 60% Dodge and still hit super hard) but I guess it can help making "lighter" units more viable. Something which Native definitely lacks. Also I'm not sure but I think in Native some troop skills are randomized (hence why you see Huscarls with Inventory Management, etc.) If that's the case you want to ensure Reflexes isn't one of those otherwise it could mess up the balance between different playthroughs.

I'm intrigued by what you mean for Warfare. In PBOD the "start options" are Lead your men (everyone on Follow), Take the field (everyone on Holding), Charge (obvious) and also the custom starting orders. Is that what you had in mind or other things ?

Also quite excited about the taming animals part. Ultimate prehistoric ranger!

So how powerful are shields going to be? I'm fairly certain most if not all of them are going to be rawhide shields.
Also regarding armor, hats/helmets, and footwear, what are these going to look like? Loinclothes? Woven sandals?

Also one question I think might have been answered before, are there going to be encounters with neanderthals?
One final question, are you going to implement the weapon durability from the viking conquest module?

Benjideaula said:
So how powerful are shields going to be? I'm fairly certain most if not all of them are going to be rawhide shields.
Also regarding armor, hats/helmets, and footwear, what are these going to look like? Loinclothes? Woven sandals?

Check out the original post. Moderators have uploaded some pics there.

Back
Top Bottom