Dastardly Deeds - Altruistic Actions

Users who are viewing this thread

kaeldragor

Knight
**THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS**  (85% gathered) - going to sleep now

There are SEVEN different types of reputation.
There are SEVEN different initial reactions when you are unknown, and SEVEN different ones once you have a banner; presuming you haven't introduced yourself to some lords by then.  There are several indications that these personality indicators can be used to anticipate their behavior and reactions throughout the game (such as managing lords while helping a usurper gain the throne).

Not sure if there are different reactions between 0 and 160 renown.

Lords will also make reference to previous battles if you helped or harmed their allies, both when you first speak to them and later on (if new battles have occurred.)

Lords will have a unique comment if you have joined their side next time you speak with them, but I haven't tested whether those comments also reveal their personalities.

Hopefully the following information will help you quickly size up your allies and opponents, and tell which ones are likely to object to you (for example) framing an enemy lord of treason, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Relation: 1 (0 if low renown)
Greeting when renowned: Asks forgiveness for not recognizing your banner.
Greeting when unknown: Says you seem a good enough sort.
What it means: Presumably the best-natured of the Lords in the land.  Likely prefers honourable tactics.

Starting Relation: 1 (0 if low renown)
Greeting when renowned: Urges you to show mercy during your quests for wealth and power.
Greeting when unknown: Wishes you peace, recommends mercy and honour.
What it means: Likely prefers honourable tactics.

Starting Relation: 0
Greeting when renowned: Says it is worthwhile to make your acquaintance.
Greeting when unknown: Says you may make something of yourself someday.
What it means:

Greeting when renowned: Suggests he may someday test your valor on the battlefield.
Greeting when unknown: Suggests he may someday test your valor on the battlefield (very similar wording.)
What it means: Try approaching these lords when you are hoping to provoke a war - they may be more likely to give the quest.

Starting Relation: -3
Greeting when renowned: Suggests you must be some foreigner.
Greeting when unknown: Tells you he doesn't have time to bandy words with unknown soldiers.
What it means: No sense of humour?  :lol:

Greeting when renowned: Feels you are a vulture, here to grow fat off the war.
Greeting when unknown: Says you are a mercenary, makes the vulture comment.
What it means: Not such a good guy, but maybe not the worst around.  Likely prefers dishonourable tactics.

Greeting when renowned: Suggests you might be the someone's bastard son.
Greeting when unknown: Says he normally slits the throat of impudent peasants.
What it means: Again, presumably, the worst the land has to offer.  Likely prefers dishonourable tactics.  Try approaching these lords when you are hoping to provoke a war - they may be more likely to give the quest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay.  At one point, I tried to track the reputations of different Lords and see how it impacted the game.  Since it was immediately apparent that Lord reputation is random with each game creation, it seemed to not matter as much.  However, I've begun encountering more and more quests that impact honour (such as the framing quests, or hunting outlaws.)  These quests also seem to therefore have an effect on your fellow lords depending on their own personalities for that game.

In other words, dishonourable actions seem to help you get along with dishonourable Lords.  Honourable actions help you get along with honourable Lords.  But by how much?  And do various types of lords correspond with certain quests?  Feel free to reply with any thoughts or input.

I don't expect this to be as complex as my NPC interaction thread, not even close, but hopefully, for those who enjoy a more in-depth role-playing experience, it will be at least interesting.  If you don't find it interesting.... guess what?  You can skip it.
  :razz:

I'm fairly certain that we all know this.

Good-natured: He's a kind fellow who's very honourable. The more honourable you are, the more he likes you.
Martial: A fellow who loves war, also honourable. The more reputable you are, the more he likes you. (Might have to do with honour, one of the two)
Cunning: A fellow who's honourable if it suits his needs. The more reputable you are, the more he likes you. I think. Haven't tested this.
Bad-Tempered: A scoundrel who dislikes honourable fellows. The more honourable you are, the less he likes you.
Sadistic: Evil looney who takes pleasure in pain. Very dishonourable. The less honourable you are, the more he loves you.

EDIT: Added how it impacts.

The point of the thread is to specifically quantify the interactions.  I appreciate the input, but I want to provide specific information for those who DON'T know.  Obviously we don't all know this, since I've played the game quite a bit, and wasn't aware that anyone's relation to you improved as you gained reputation.  I'd prefer to see it happen, since you also seemed uncertain about some of your information.

The Mercenary said:
Your info isn't very precise either.

Which is exactly why it is still being worked on... just like mentioned in my original post.  If the thread bothers you, don't contribute.

Vilhjalmr said:
IIRC you can find this stuff in the module system.

Good luck to you -- I'm very interested.

It was in the module system, but I don't remember if it said what it did.

Nice sig. It puts a smile on my face.

I can't back this up with anything more than my own sneaking suspicion, but I think the "Loves nothing but war" lords are more likely to give you the "provoke a war with X allied faction" quest.

attackrat said:
I can't back this up with anything more than my own sneaking suspicion, but I think the "Loves nothing but war" lords are more likely to give you the "provoke a war with X allied faction" quest.

Quest relations are definitely important, but I hadn't considered them.  Any other patterns you notice, let me know.

Good info. thanks. Don't mind the discouragement from the Mercenary, she's just pissed because she didn't get gold in the women's individual floor exercise.

I have been making notes about these too when playing, it comes especially useful to know lords personality when you are going through rebellion and pick your main argument. Some lords wants personal rewards, others what is best to the country and some can be argued with legitimately of claimant etc. (you can't please all though, they know if you have told other lords different stuff)

It is bit troubling that only good time to get info is when you meet them first time, after that they won't tell you their personality, unless quests are indicator to it. (asking rumors is too random)
Hmm, maybe they give hint also when you have claimant with you and meet them to persuade them... can't remember.

These rebellion replies and optimal argues to convince them should also be put into the list once discovered, since this is the area where lords personality has most impact in game.

I couldn't find my old notebook right now so I can't give any detailed information, other than vague greedy lords (and also maybe those with little possession) likes when you promise reward them and some good lords if you argue it is best to country support claimant. And then the other options like legitimacy which some personality prefers.

Important thing maybe to consider when planning to go rebellion is know which argument biggest city owners likes since you'll get large army with those lords which will help you to conquer rest of country (they also don't want that badly loot since they already have rich estates).

Another wild card is that some lords you recruit have enemies and then that will be major setback when trying recruit next one. Is this somehow based to personality or completely random? I might have seen lord with same personality having enemy or rival with another same personality type lord.

I was making new list in my new game, but then I joined to be mercenary and suddenly I couldn't get any more greeting replies from lords even I would meet them first time since I was already in faction with them. (I was planning first do some mercenary action with that country to improve relations with lords before seeking claimant). I was also bit disappointed to my starting banner so I put that game pause, maybe indefinitely, and started another one where I am bandit scum working just to my account, so I might not be contributing more to these rebellion answers soon, but if others find out or can remember connections with personalities and answers go ahead and post them.

kaeldragor said:
attackrat said:

Quest relations are definitely important, but I hadn't considered them.  Any other patterns you notice, let me know.
Update with a possible correlation: Lord Dirigun tortures his enemies, AND has just unleashed me to make war upon the puny caravans of the Rhodoks.

More news at 11!

Has anyone since 1.003 had reputation with a lord go down a point or two for completing a quest from the elder of his village? I once met a lord in a castle who accused me of undermining his authority after I'd helped one of his villages and this shifted my reputation from 0 to -1 or -2. Presumably these lords are not nice people...

Theo said:
Another wild card is that some lords you recruit have enemies and then that will be major setback when trying recruit next one. Is this somehow based to personality or completely random? I might have seen lord with same personality having enemy or rival with another same personality type lord.

I assume you can figure out if a lord likes or hates another if you help out a lord in battle who's own army is in trouble. If you help the lord win a battle, the other lords usually make some kind of comment about it, either saying well done for helping out Lord X (can't remember if that boosts your relation with them), or 'You should have let them get a kicking' (or words to that effect). It's funny that some lord say their own King should have been left to be beaten! This may just be random, but I'd imagine it had something to do with their character in that particular game.

Has anyone since 1.003 had reputation with a lord go down a point or two for completing a quest from the elder of his village? I once met a lord in a castle who accused me of undermining his authority after I'd helped one of his villages and this shifted my reputation from 0 to -1 or -2. Presumably these lords are not nice people...

You can also gain reputation the same way I'm sure when some lords thank you for assisting them by looking after their own fief.

I think it's a shame the game doesn't let you make notes or keep track of other lords relations with one another so you can help get a feel for how everyone feels about each other. Like when a peasant tells you 'Lord Banana-Nose loves nothing more than war,' it's a shame when you look up that Lord in the list of characters, that that information isn't added. Would have been a nice touch.

kaeldragor said:
Which is exactly why it is still being worked on... just like mentioned in my original post.  If the thread bothers you, don't contribute.

Thank you for this thread. I found it helpful.

On a more general note, I've been stopping in and out to lurk for over a year now, and I'd just like to state for the record that threads like these are always helpful to new players (or people rediscovering the game after a long time away) even if they don't come on to explicitly say so.

@ Elmetiacos
The negative standings was for doing a train peasants quest... They lords dont want you to train the peasants to fight.

@ op & company
I would add that when you do the provoke war quest, you gain a bunch of different standings for all of the lords; perhaps this is somewhat linked to what you are researching?

Back
Top Bottom