Crossbow penalty

Users who are viewing this thread

Big_Mac

Grandmaster Knight
I think it's a good idea that if you ever get knocked down or archer bumped with a crossbow in hand (and possibly just with one on your back) it should have half a chance of going off on it's own.

The bolt would then either:

• Go off while pointing at the user.
  • Go off in a random direction and kill a team-mate/enemy.

Currently it is too easy as a crossbowman to wait until a charging horseman lowers his shield and just shoot him in the chest, so if this was implemented they would have to be more careful, and not wait just patiently. Although I've not read about it happening remember this is a game, it would just add another level of gameplay when being/fighting that class.

Other thoughts?

Random chance of it going off when you get tossed around, sure.

Hurting yourself no. Even an inexperienced user I doubt is stupid/bad enough to manage to point it at himself and kill/hurt himself. As for the charging horseman against crossbow... crossbow should win in almost every circumstance. All but the heaviest of armour is ineffective against a crossbow and there is no way that your horse is going to continue it's charge with a bolt in its head or anything else for that matter. The horses in this NEVER panic or get skittish even with many arrows in them.

As you said, this is a game. by necessity it must be harder to kill people and horses. The only thing the crossbow has going for him is his aim and shield. I would not support nerf'ing him at all.

Besides, the described situation is stupid for the horseman under the best of circumstances. Currently it is and always will be easy to kill people not gifted with common sense.

What you are describing is a lack of caution on the horseman's part. if your heart is set on lancing the xbow, do it at the last possible second and do it manually rather than couched if he knows you are coming. Charging down a crossbow waiting for you is giving him your head on a platter.

I'm not saying it should be introduced for that scenario, just that it might be a cool addition to the game. And besides, you need to play more to see for yourself just how many charging horsemen get killed by xbows.

Anyway, lets not change the subject of this thread.

I am one of the xbow killing them :razz: but I am also effective at killing xbows from horseback. Charging xbows is simply stupid.

I assume this is multiplayer you are talking about as the SP ai are useless and dont know what waiting is, or aiming.

I agree on that the xbow should be set off (chance of getting set off) when the crossbowman is getting tossed around. If it hits team or enemy, whatever, but I strongly believe it should not hit the user. they way it is slung on the back makes that impossible, and holding it with 2 hands is also pretty much impossible to hit yourself.

I am just wanting to be clear that any changes made are not made to protect the horseman as the horseman's flaw is what you used as an example. But when a bow or xbow is hit with a sword or axe, it should be inoperable never mind discharge. As for just getting bumped by a horse, that is a big bump and getting tossed around like that I think would have a chance of setting off the xbow, althouh not guaranteed.

We want something similar, but possible for different reasons.

Yeah, let's not give cavalry any chance at killing enemies when charging frontally, let's just let cavalry stay backstabbers... So much fun and rewarding to die by a 1hitkill lance backstab while fighting other people.

I'd rather die when someone comes charging towards me and kills me with skill rather than riding around and backstabbing...

No, this game is about skill. If the dood is stupid enough to get his crossbow pointed to his head, then he should not be on the battle field. So is the dood who is dumb enough to charge at the crossbowman. A crossbow can penetrate armor relatively easier than most weapons.

That said, the crossbow going off if you are hit hard enough is okay, just not going off at the direction of your head. If you are holding the crossbow properly, the crossbow won't ever get pointed to your head.

@rokema Backstabbing is a part of war. Deal with it.

Never really heard of real life cavalry charging strait at archers. Just sounds silly. Although someone had to figure out it didn't work...

Big_Mac said:
Anyway, lets not change the subject of this thread.
Kenkage said:
Never really heard of real life cavalry charging strait at archers. Just sounds silly.
Are you serious? Try reading up on history before you comment on it please.

silencekyo said:
No, this game is about skill. If the dood is stupid enough to get his crossbow pointed to his head, then he should not be on the battle field. So is the dood who is dumb enough to charge at the crossbowman. A crossbow can penetrate armor relatively easier than most weapons.

That said, the crossbow going off if you are hit hard enough is okay, just not going off at the direction of your head. If you are holding the crossbow properly, the crossbow won't ever get pointed to your head.

@rokema Backstabbing is a part of war. Deal with it.

This is a game, it would be more enjoyable for people to have actual fighting instead of constantly backstabbery vs cav... Would you rather get backstabbed or actually fight the cavalry?

Would getting run over by a huge frickin' horse keep your Xbow steady?

EDIT: If the crossbowmen is then knocked down, his bolt gets fired, forcing him to go melee..

Kenkage said:
Never really heard of real life cavalry charging strait at archers. Just sounds silly. Although someone had to figure out it didn't work...

Would you see an archer in real life running around a cavalryman, shooting arrows at him like legolas?

Nameless_Terror said:
Random chance of it going off when you get tossed around, sure.

Hurting yourself no. Even an inexperienced user I doubt is stupid/bad enough to manage to point it at himself and kill/hurt himself.

Does the crossbow have a magical effect that prevents it from being discharged in your direction?

Nameless_Terror said:
All but the heaviest of armour is ineffective against a crossbow

Really? You do realise that crossbows are horribly mechanically inefficient because of their short draw length and the projectile they use, don't you? The draw weights of the heavier arbalests look impressive, sure, but don't be fooled by those numbers. As a whole, they aren't significantly better than contemporary bows at armour penetration.

Well, somehow it should be made that for archers and crosbowman its a huge risk to stay near calvary, so we wont see so many legolas guys who just headshot the calvary the second it lowers its shield. How to do this? I have no clue, but this could be a start.

Back
Top Bottom