core materials

Users who are viewing this thread

No I want to replace the core materials for my mod and not native.

Edit: Nevermind.  I dont need to know this because I changed my mind.

It's in the module.ini file.

#load_resource = materials
load_module_resource = my_own_funky_materials

And no, you don't need "special permission" to do this.  :lol:

dealman said:
Well that would make it an stand-alone game. Wich you would need permission for.

It wouldnt be a standalone because I was wanting to change the UI but I figured out a different way and I decided I didnt want to change it at this point in time.  The UI is what is in Core Materials. 

I was running into problems because I had the UI how I wanted it with the same names as the UI in the core materials and I was getting an error because there were duplicates.  If I deleted the native UI textures from what my mod loads, there would still be a problem because my textures would have to be the same name as the ones native uses.

If you're not making different UI meshes you can just put the dds with the same name in the Textures directory and they will override Native's textures automatically.

Okay, I'm bringing this topic back to life because I have a question that was danced around here but not really answered.  Here goes:

I need to replace core_pictures.brf, but I need to do it so that it only affects my mod.  Please tell me there is a way to do this.....

(extra information)

Here is my problem.  I'm adding pictures to the in game loading screens to replace the following textures (these are the ones that randomly make up the loading and main menu screens):
pic_mb_warrior_1.dds
pic_mb_warrior_2.dds
pic_mb_warrior_3.dds
pic_mb_warrior_4.dds

When I put replacement .dds files with these names into my mod's texture folder they do show up in game, but they are resized TERRIBLY based on the meshes in commonRes\core_pictures.brf. 

Despite the fact that these pictures are all the same size (512x512), the developers decided that it would be better to scale THE MESH rather than reposition the texture on the canvas.  (Whhhy developers?  WHHHHY????) 
This means if I take the same .dds file and rename it four times to each of the above textures, I will get a different result EVERY TIME due to scaling.  So now my hands are tied, and have very little control over how large my pictures are or how they are scaled.  (Pic_mb_warrior_3.dds is quite bad as it uses a tiny mesh and gets squished and crammed down in the corner.)

So....I have made a copy of core_pictures.brf and made all of the meshes the same size, but now I need to find a way to actually get my mod (and only my mod) to override the original core_pictures.brf.  Then they will all scale the same, and I can get back to making progress. 

Is this possible?

fisheye said:
It's in the module.ini file.

#load_resource = materials
load_module_resource = my_own_funky_materials

And no, you don't need "special permission" to do this.  :lol:

I think you slightly misunderstood the question.  This will disable loading materials.brf but not core_materials.brf.  core_materials does not show up in the list (as none of the core objects do...).  :sad:

I only point this out because it is essentially my same problem.  I'm not trying to be pedantic.  :wink:

sorry to bump this thread but I have the same question about disabling core files which are not listed in the module.ini.

I want to make new mesh's for pic_mb_warrior_#.dds and this requires changing core_pictures.brf.  Has anybody found a way to disable this from being loaded in a mod so we can include our own?

Back
Top Bottom