Conquering town strategy

Users who are viewing this thread

With only a few big factions, it's hard to conquer a castle.
1. Declaring war.
2. Conquering a castle.
3. Asking for peace.
4. Gets declined.
5. Loses the castle and gets destroyed.
How can I conquer a castle without getting a peace-decline?

You're not going to get peace right away, why would you? You need to be able to hold out long enough that the AI is okay with giving you peace. This is why you should aim for a faction that is already at war (and not a war that's near ending or a war against a nearly defeated faction, you want something that can hold the attention of the enemy marshal).

You can help by exchanging low defended castles with them i.e. find a castle of theirs with a small garrison, capture it, select "I will decide later". Remove all the garrisoned troops and put them in your main fief, and let the enemy recapture the castle. Capture it again and follow the same steps. Do this a few times, and the AI will feel like it is accomplishing something in the war, and they will be amenable to peace earlier.

It also depends on what castle/town you take, some of them are very easy to defend even against 2k marshal stack while others are much harder.

Its much better to go the vassal then rebel route as you can rebel with multiple castles/towns that are already garrisoned, you will also have much more opportunity to gain relations with the lords of that faction making it much easiar to bring them to your side

Brew said:
It also depends on what castle/town you take, some of them are very easy to defend even against 2k marshal stack while others are much harder.

Its much better to go the vassal then rebel route as you can rebel with multiple castles/towns that are already garrisoned, you will also have much more opportunity to gain relations with the lords of that faction making it much easiar to bring them to your side

Try to answer the best you can. What castle is the easiest to take and what is the hardest? This may be a stupid question, but try to answer.

Oregar castle is hardest to take and easiest to defend, a couple of old women with handbags could defend it against a marshal stack.
Oregar's main weakness is that it is in a useless position its not very strategic in native that castle was in a very strategic position.

As to easiest to take, this really depends on your army and your player character. Most of the wooden castles are easy to take, the problem is that they are typically hard to defend.

I would suggest going for a castle that is near areas that you wish to conquer later

Brew said:
Oregar castle is hardest to take and easiest to defend, a couple of old women with handbags could defend it against a marshal stack.
Oregar's main weakness is that it is in a useless position its not very strategic in native that castle was in a very strategic position.

As to easiest to take, this really depends on your army and your player character. Most of the wooden castles are easy to take, the problem is that they are typically hard to defend.

I would suggest going for a castle that is near areas that you wish to conquer later

Where can I find wooden castles?

Erling01 said:
Where can I find wooden castles?

The map model for wooden castles is a wooden castle, there is quite a few but they are all difficult to defend against superior forces and thats the only way the AI sieges

From my experience if the faction is at war with 3 factions at once they'll always agree on peace, even if the war lasted few days.
Finding a faction that's a war at two fronts, attacking them, immediately sending the peace proposal and then using those 3 days to capture what you can while hoping they won't make peace with anyone else had worked for me before.

And starting a faction with a single castle doesn't seem like a great idea to me to be honest, you need a place to replenish your supplies and you have only a single village to give to your vassal. Go city or go home.
Waiting for one to be sacked by unique spawn or just captured by another faction my help a lot.

wou said:
And starting a faction with a single castle doesn't seem like a great idea to me to be honest, you need a place to replenish your supplies and you have only a single village to give to your vassal. Go city or go home.
Yes, call it the "conquering town strategy", towns give you the most value for being a fief you have to garrison.

Brew said:
Yep, using lords makes taking even a heavily defended town so much easier and less painful for you. And they help you hold it too...

Back
Top Bottom