companion parties recruiting other cultures

Users who are viewing this thread

whats the best way to keep your companion parties to one culture i have instances where there are khuzait culture but then they will get random sets of battanian recruits and empire etc is this the result of them recruiting prisoners or something

whats the best way to keep your companion parties to one culture i have instances where there are khuzait culture but then they will get random sets of battanian recruits and empire etc is this the result of them recruiting prisoners or something

They recruit from neutral villages, different culture friendly villages and liberated prisoners until they hit party size limits. Over party limits in fact, in the case of liberated prisoners.

I think them recruiting from other cultures then their own is intentional. Imagine your companion traveling all the way to Kuzait villages from Vlandia to get few recruits just because he is Kuzait.

I think them recruiting from other cultures then their own is intentional. Imagine your companion traveling all the way to Kuzait villages from Vlandia to get few recruits just because he is Kuzait.
true wasn't really thinking of that i was gonna get on khuzait clan members thinking they would keep the same troops but nvm

Just tell him/her to recruit Khuzait Nomads only. Done.

If you are not part of a kingdom or created one, companions will recruit from any non-hostile faction. If you are part of faction or created your own, then companions will only recruit from settlements that your faction owns.

If you are not part of a kingdom or created one, companions will recruit from any non-hostile faction. If you are part of faction or created your own, then companions will only recruit from settlements that your faction owns.
i have a lot to learn about this game even with 225 hours i havent even bothered making a kingdom yet lol thanks for info

I think it would make sense if lords would have recruitment preferences, based on their culture.
So let's say a khuzait lord is building up an army,
and there will be a maximum size for it, and a desired one,
wich is modified by financial situation and conflicts.

So maybe if the desired army size has reached 95%
that lord will only recruit any more troops if he gets khuzait nobles.
And up to 95% he would also recruit khuzait horse archers.
And up to 90% also khuzait lancers and karakhuzait troops.
And up to 85% other khuzait troops as well as imperials/aserai wich are or could get turned into horse-archers.
And up to 80% any other cavalry.
And up to 75% other troops exept infantry without shield,
these would only get recruited when the capacity is 70% or lower.

And let's say there is a member of these wolfskin-archers,
and at 80% capacity this one would recruit nothing exept troops of his minor faction
and maybe also battanian nobles - if he would get any.
And at 60% he would still recruit archers of other factions and battanian troops in general.
( crossbows up to 50% )
And at 40% he would recruit infantry of other factions.
And only up to 20% he would recruit non-battanian cavalry.

This way lords could keep up some habits.

Last edited:
I think it would make sense if lords would have recruitment preferences, based on their culture.
So let's say a khuzait lord is building up an army,
and there will be a maximum size for it, and a desired one,
which is modified by financial situation and conflicts.

So maybe if the desired army size has reached 95%
that lord will only recruit any more troops if he gets khuzait nobles.
And up to 95% he would also recruit khuzait horse archers.
And up to 90% also khuzait lancers and karakhuzait troops.
And up to 85% other khuzait troops as well as imperials/aserai wich are or could get turned into horse-archers.
And up to 80% any other cavalry.
And up to 75% other troops exept infantry without shield,
these would only get recruited when the capacity is 70% or lower.

And let's say there is a member of these wolfskin-archers,
and at 80% capacity this one would recruit nothing exept troops of his minor faction
and maybe also battanian nobles - if he would get any.
And at 60% he would still recruit archers of other factions and battanian troops in general.
( crossbows up to 50% )
And at 40% he would recruit infantry of other factions.
And only up to 20% he would recruit non-battanian cavalry.

This way lords could keep up some habits.
That's actually a really good concept i like the thought of recruitment preference working out those preferences would be a hard balancing issue it but would bring a lot more realism into the game because i highly doubt a vlandian is gonna just get on perfectly with any other soldier of another culture like empire they have a history would like to see a morale toll come into affect for mixing cultures just to layer the concepts just ideas can't wait to see what this game shapes into

From my observations, until you have your own fiefs and towns they recruit from anywhere. When you create your own kingdom they will recruit only from your towns and villages.

You can customize that behavior with Party AI Overhaul as other posters indicated. But in the end, they will recruit only from the villages and towns in your kingdom's border.

I think if it's just that with near full capacity all lords become somewhat picky due to their culture, then balancing issues shouldn't be too heavy.

Beside culture-based-recruitment preferences there could also be faction-based upgrade preferences.
So whenever a troop get's upgraded and there is a choice between two upgrades, then the faction the commander belongs to could have influence on it.
Assumedly there is a 50/50 chance by default, then in some cases this could be 55/45...65/35 instead, or so.
So someone sturgian or whatever joined the khuzaits for example, and due to this he /she would upgrade more units into mounted ones than before.

A Khuzait-member has an imperial recruit, and now the chance that the recruit gets upgraded into an archer instead into infantry is 60% instead of 50%.
And the chance a trained archer gets to a vet archer instead of CB is 60% again, instead of 50.
And finally the chance the vet archer gets to Bucellarii - again 60%.
( 60/40 would already mean that one unit is 1.5x more common than the other )

This way faction could have an effect on the composition of armies without restricting recruitment.

This has now changed in 1.4.1. All lords (including companions) should now recruit from any non-hostile settlement like the player can. Not sure how it works exactly, do they prefer their own culture? Or will they recruit mixed no matter what.
Not sure what this means for "destroyed" factions, as they can just keep recruitng and maybe take a weak fief.

Back
Top Bottom