• Maybe

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • You're mad if you think it might work

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Right, I think that it's time we bring the ENTIRE MM community into a single event...

Now you may be thinking 'Dude, we only have a 250 slot server, it won't work' BUT, put your hands up if you've played Napoleon: Total War. What if we run a campaign? We could have someone incharge of each faction and we could introduce supply lines and whatnot.

If you think my Idea could work, please post saying dis, if enough people say yes, I will post a wall of text saying rules and shiz.

This idea has been brought up many times, the first time it was brought up a very very detailed system was thought up along with some maps for the peninsula campaign. Recently when russia was announced another map was brought forward to include the new faction.
I dont think its ever got further than people getting excited about it and thinking up systems.
It could work however, but it just never has got off the ground.

King of Scotland said:
Err.... what are you talking about? You mean like turns or something? Or like cRPG? Either way, I don't think it's gonna happen.

What I mean is that we run the overland map from the forums, so we have the map on here, the army leaders talk with their faction leaders about what to do and the Faction Leader sends a PM to the person in-charge of the entire campaign saying what they will do, If a battle occurs, they fight it out in-game.

I think you should start with the waterloo campaign. You already have the waterloo map, wavre, la Haye Saint. But i think that you should add Plancenoit because most people want a town to fight in and it was an important part of waterloo. Also a battalion of the old Guard and the Chasseurs held it against a Prussian Division which i think is impresive. With the new destructable buildings it would be an intence map.

I like this idea a lot except how do we determine numbers for each side to give significance to previous victories, e.g. if the british have been beaten on 3 maps, i wouldn;t expect them to have equal numbers on the 4th map to those who have been beating them

Well its like Napoleon Total War. CAN YOU CHANGE HISTORY!!!!!! If the french do win make London map and make a civilian faction and let the French ride through the streets burning buildings and killing women and children. Just a suggestion.

Aethelbert said:
I like this idea a lot except how do we determine numbers for each side to give significance to previous victories, e.g. if the british have been beaten on 3 maps, i wouldn;t expect them to have equal numbers on the 4th map to those who have been beating them

When a battle is fought, the general can choose to agree surrender terms or retreat
A number of the casualties will be replenished depending on supply lines and regions, eg:

A British force consisting of 2 Highlander Regiments of 25 men each, led by a Captain of the Coldstream guards, stumbles upon a French force of 25 Dragoons and 50 Infantry, during the battle, the Coldstream Captain orders his men to fall back adn cease fire, the french hold back outside of musket range, the Captain approaches with 2 of his sergeants under a flag of truce and agrees surrender terms with the head of the french forces, at the last minute before he turns his men over, he escapes back to his main army with his remaining men.

As the Highlanders lost a Bagpiper, a Sergeant and 12 Rankers, they are drafted in because of the army's unbroken supply line. The french being cut off in Spanish Territory are unable to receive reinforcements and must manage with current Supplies and troops. They do get a few bits of money and food form the looted dead.

Colonel_McCandless said:
Aethelbert said:

When a battle is fought, the general can choose to agree surrender terms or retreat
A number of the casualties will be replenished depending on supply lines and regions, eg:

A British force consisting of 2 Highlander Regiments of 25 men each, led by a Captain of the Coldstream guards, stumbles upon a French force of 25 Dragoons and 50 Infantry, during the battle, the Coldstream Captain orders his men to fall back adn cease fire, the french hold back outside of musket range, the Captain approaches with 2 of his sergeants under a flag of truce and agrees surrender terms with the head of the french forces, at the last minute before he turns his men over, he escapes back to his main army with his remaining men.

As the Highlanders lost a Bagpiper, a Sergeant and 12 Rankers, they are drafted in because of the army's unbroken supply line. The french being cut off in Spanish Territory are unable to receive reinforcements and must manage with current Supplies and troops. They do get a few bits of money and food form the looted dead.
Far too complicated. Maybe we just have a map in a web browser on which we  play on  as in the "Warband Campaigns" game and then have small battles when trying to conquer something.
Anyway, I don't really think it's gonna work out.

King of Scotland said:
Far too complicated. Maybe we just have a map, play on what as in the "Warband Campaigns" game and then have small battles when trying to conquer something.
Anyway, I don't really think it's gonna work out.

@red - English Please?

Someone could make a map and lets say about supply lines, if one of the factions can attack it on the map we host a battle on the server with each side having the appropriate numbers and then what happens on the map is taken from the battle results.

AgentGB had a big thing made up but it looked very good well thought through but I can't find it on our OL forums.

EDIT: Just found it had to do an entire forum search lol, sure Gib won't mind me posting it for others to use, btw so people know this was made BEFORE the prussia mod so no need to point it out, this is just the idea he came up with and can easily be expanded.

AgentGB said:
The Peninsular War Campaign

Description

The British have recently come to the aid of Portugal, setting up defence in Lisbon, France currently occupying most of Spain, But not for long, as rebellion is on the air,  Madrid as an uprising, and many cites follow suite. Upon hearing this Napoleon deicdes to lead over 300, 000 troops in spain to crush the Spanish uprising. During this time Wellington had been called back to England, although before his departure had built formidable defences on the approach to Lisbon. Moore taking the initiative decides to push out into Spain from Portugal opening up another front allowing the Spanish revolt to take its course. Upon Wellington hearing the news from England, departs once again back to Lisbon. Although Moore is already being evacuated via the coastline of northern Spain fighting a bloody defence and leaving a rear guard to cover the retreating troops boarding the ships back to England. Napoleon thinking the Spanish uprising had been dealt with leaves to take controls of his army’s attacking Austria. Wellington arriving back in Spain and start the 2nd peninsular campaign eventually pushing his way into southern France.

This is a what if scenario, what if Napoleon had stayed, and instead decided to push the English out of Portugal, instead of seeing them as an inadequate threat. Or if Wellington hadn't been called back to England, and was able to to help Moore in the first peninsular campaign?  Causing Napoleon to see a bigger threat emerging in Spain during the first peninsular. The time lime will be based loosely on the events off the 2nd peninsular war, with Wellington arriving back in time to catch bonnie before leaving

(description subject to change)

Commanders Force Pool

Ticket Value of Regiments

Line Infantry Regiments - 200
Rifle Infantry Regiments - 250
Cavalry Regiments - 250
Artillery Regiments – 300

Maximised Army Size – 111 Players (set to server size)
Minimum Starting Army Size – 22 players

So spend accordingly to the set server size

Buying/Refilling Regiments

Commanders start of with
5000 Tickets to be spent on there force pool accordingly
100 Ticket Income per turn (subject to change)
100 Tickets for the destruction of a regiment

When you can Refill
Regiments Ticket value can be refilled If they aren't engaged or have supply lines to the rear of them, if they are in withdrawal after a defeat they can choose to fall back two regions to refill there army, or risk holding the opposing force at the next region with there current ticket value of the army in question

When you can't refill
Regiments can not reinforce ticket value if supply lines are broken, engaged, under siege or withdrawing only one region back

Other notes
Regiments may merge depleted regiments to form a full fighting regiment, with left over tickets going back to the bank. With the regiment being returned back to the force pool, to be spawned/re-bought at the home region. Note the only way to achieve the returning of a regiment back to the force pool is if they are below or equal too 100 tickets (in strength) and must be merged otherwise no tickets are returned to the bank and no regiment to the force pool. This is so the disbanding of entire armies can not be considered an option

Force Pool for commanders

One regiment can only be at one place at any giving time unless filling in for an absent regiment. Commanders will be allocated a starting Ticket sum which can be spent on there desired starting force. Once regiments are formed into army’s, they will be given Regimental identification. Allowing the Commanders to choose what regiment are fighting were. They can keep the tickets banked only spending so many of there tickets, but will also generate an income per turn of a 100 tickets

Each buying force pool for the commander will be as followed
74731703.jpg

Example of a bought Army totalling to 106 players
32545119.jpg

Conquest ticket battles will always be set at a 1000, so in the event of two army’s equal in size facing each other, with the same set-up, they would have 900 reserve. Ticket left over for the victor will be added back to there ticket value. Deduction will be taken evenly from all Unit types, being line infantry will suffer the worst due to there low ticket value when bought separately at a price of 200 tickets. 

Ticket System

Has the new game settings will be moving to conquest, to display an ever changing front-line, be it from fixed spawn points or a variant of spawn point displaying battle objectives. The conquest ticket system displays the devoted man power to the battle for better realism in how the battles where thought. The system will be adapted to work with the tickets displayed in game & via the campaign map.

Tickets are the commanders manpower, as is the force pool. To save depleting the force pool, it is urged that commanders replenish there ranks with tickets at any given chance. The force pool it self is a limited reserve which can only be fielded if adequate tickets are in the bank to do so.

A set amount of tickets are given to commander at each turn to be spent or stored. Ticket value of regiments is exactly the same as buying regiments and is displayed as such in battle with the rest going into reserve if above 1000

(further explanation may be needed?)

Conquest Battles (how the odds are worked out although the ticket value will remain even)

In the event an 1900 ticketed value army meets a 400 ticketed army, the conquest battle ticket will be set to the lowest (400 tickets)

Although this actually means them being heavily outnumbered in actual battle, as army can still field al respective amount of players as there army allows. But the low ticket value give the smaller army a chance to to zero the larger army ticket size of 400, causing the bigger army to disengage

Example 
Larger Army
32545119.jpg

Smaller Army
94459602.jpg

This means the smaller army is outnumbered 3to1, thou depending on the prowess of the regiments in question, and possibility the regions fortification/landscape  they may still have the possibility to see of the larger army attack

Although this may seem unfair, unfortunately it is a reality of war, and should still be fought seriously by both sides thou the outcome is very much likely a loss for the smaller army. No regiment would be dishonoured for such a loss in the face of overwhelming odds.

This is meant to be a simulation of a real war/campaign so such action are inevitable, the destruction of these two regiments is almost guaranteed, but doesn't mean the regiments role-playing are out of the campaign  as the commander can re-buy regiments from the force pool, from which your regimental identification will once be attached back to it.
(may need balancing, but as i said in the description, it is a reality of war, to contribute to the overall campaign)
If the larger attacking force is repelled, they will lose the 400 tickets from there total of 1900 tickets, as for the smaller force, they will lose whatever tickets lost in battle of there 400, but with a 5% multiplier from the total 400 to show recovered wounded. 

Example:
If they had lost 300, with an 100 tickets remaining. This would mean they have 100 tickets left. Then the multiplier kick in which is taken from there starting total of 400. Meaning 20 tickets are recovered. Giving a finishing total of 120 tickets

Retreating & Tactical withdrawal

If a army is beaten back, they must fall back one withdraw one region, if they aren't attacked next turn they can refill ranks using tickets

If there a risk of being engaged the following turn, the army can choose to fall out retreat allowing them space to refill ranks using tickets, or meet with other armies.

Armies can swap regiments about, but must be add full strength of the ticket value.

Example

So if the 120 ticketed value of the two line infantry regiments fell back, they could be reinforced by any near full regiments, but not vice versa as they aren't up to full strength. The commander may wish to merge the 2 regiments sending one back to the force pool making a single regiment value 120, instead of 60, possibly saving the colours of one regiment at the risk of losing the extra 16 players the commander would have benefited from by having the two battered regiments of 60 (totalled 120)

Turn System

The turn system will be played out as such:

Both commanders will spend whatever tickets they wish, then locate there army’s to there current held regions from the start, creating the starting front line. On a set regional map. Commanders will give there instruction to a umpire serving both commanders. Who will process the information onto the map/database, giving back information relating to the map. Commanders will be asked to fill in a template of some sort, which tells the umpire all the instructions which changes can be made to the campaign/database with a returned note of there notified changes and the resulted outcome. Which the umpire will send the new database(force-pool)/records(ticket bank)/map(army movement) to allow for human error, and check the commanders details have been process properly. Upon confirmation that orders are fine, the commanders will be given details/results on any army/scouting activity. If no army’s are engaged, this process will continue until a conflict is met somewhere.

(templates to be worked out)

Scouting

As there is a slight fog of war, or unknown army size. For commanders to gain information on army composition, they may wish to employ scouting at a price of tickets. All army locations are present on the map, as all army movement can be seen. But for a commander to know whats in store for him. He must pay a price of  100 tickets to be able to see if the commander had employed a ruse or not. (cost for scouting subject to change) Although it should be slightly expensive, as its cheaper then loosing an entire army to a force you believed to be 2 regiments strong holding a fort, but turns out to be a full sized army waiting in ambush.

Victory Conditions

When either factions home region falls to to the opposing faction, the game will end
After a set time period of how long the campaign should last, victory is claimed on how far the a faction is pushed back to there home region, or counted home regions, If an army is cut off but near deep in the opposing factions territory’s. Regions behind the army cut off aren't included to the total for either side.

(will be reconsidered once campaign map is made)

Adding Fixed Artillery to a Region (suggestion)
If an artillery regiment enters a region via the campaign map, would it be possible to mod in cannons for a map at a desired location for the commander last minute (during the week period before the battle starts?) So artillery regiments can be used in open battle. Otherwise could be restricted to siege & defence operations

To be done
Campaign map to follow, with Historical battle locations, as much as possible,  and if you wish I can dig up some pictures of the battle locations for ideas with map making, thou ill make the the campaign map, list the locations (key them) (put a description of battles thought in the proximity, so if you are map making?  You know what to research where for what region, thou I can do for you I don't mind[/spoiler]

I dont think it was in the OL forums, I remember it being posted here. And also being looked up and reposted in another topic on me asking if someone else could help me find it. Its buried deep in the dead threads D:

The idea of a campaign has been brought up many times, We would need a dedicated mapper to do all the campaign maps and that would take quite a lot of time so if someone is willing to plan it go ahead but make sure you are up for it.

Refleax said:
The idea of a campaign has been brought up many times, We would need a dedicated mapper to do all the campaign maps and that would take quite a lot of time so if someone is willing to plan it go ahead but make sure you are up for it.

Nah, just use random plain/steppe for some areas and then if we need to, we can use the other maps like, trench and stuff.

i must say it requires an awfull lot of work, but the end result could work out nice.
+we need(my opinion) more france regiments its currently 3vs1 and france only got arround 9 regiments and the coalition combined(20/24)

I think it would be great but very difficult to organize.

My idea is this,

-regiments represent armies
-regiments occupy territories on a map(no more then 2 armies on the same side in a territory)
-regiments fight each other to defend or take a land
-regiments will be eliminated permanently in these engagements(or maybe they'll be back after a decided period of time but the enemy faction might've won before they get the chance(taken the whole map))
-no maneuvering armies to keep it simple(also to keep it 1 vs 1)

These battles will be small, and we can have several at a time. Say a map with 20 territories, 10 regiments for each faction, if you have 2-5 territory battles a day, the event can be finished relatively quickly.

Back
Top Bottom