Combat skills work together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do combat skills work together when using a weapon of those types? Like two hand and polearm are both being used when you have a two handed polearm equipped? This may be obvious, but I didn't think of it until just last night. I guess it would make sense, but I assumed a polearm just used the polearm perks. Thats how it levels at least.

I think the "Two-Handed" and "One-handed" tags are confusing because it seems like that's the weapon type, but it just means if you're using it with a shield or not. At first I thought they'd changed all the spears and halberds into one- and two-handed weapons until I realized that I should be looking at the little weapon icon to determine the weapon type

They do not. Weapons with two modes improve the one currently used when landing hits, not both. There are no "compound modes" as "two-handed and polearm". The modes and relevant skills for a weapon are shown in the orange bar over the stats.

They do not. Weapons with two modes improve the one currently used when landing hits, not both. There are no "compound modes" as "two-handed and polearm". The modes and relevant skills for a weapon are shown in the orange bar over the stats.
I know that it doesn't raise both skills, I'm asking if, regardless of that, the two hand perks are still used for a polearm if it's being used as a two handed weapon.

The weapon categories are:

- polearm
- 1h weapons that are not a polearm
- 2h weapons that are not a polearm

Some weapons have multiple modes and the category changes when you change modes.

No offense, but none of you are doing a very good job of convincing me that you understand what I'm talking about, or, in fact, know what you're talking about.

Maybe its because you didn't explain what you meant very well. It sounded to me like you were using a Polearm in "Two-Handed" mode and were wondering if it benefits from Two-Handed skills as well as the Polearm skills.

No offense, but none of you are doing a very good job of convincing me that you understand what I'm talking about, or, in fact, know what you're talking about.

Since half the perks don't even work anyway it's tough to say. +HP perks work regardless of which weapon is equipped. I'm assuming other perks do too unless they specify otherwise. As I said in my other post, polearms are not 2h weapons. They are polearms. 2h weapons should be called '2h weapons that are not polearms'. Ditto for 1h.

It sounded to me like you were using a Polearm in "Two-Handed" mode and were wondering if it benefits from Two-Handed skills as well as the Polearm skills.
That's exactly what I'm asking. It's a confusing thing to ask about maybe because it's apparently kind of hard to explain, but I should have tried a different way to explain it in the OP.
As I said in my other post, polearms are not 2h weapons. They are polearms. 2h weapons should be called '2h weapons that are not polearms'. Ditto for 1h.
If that is the case, I think it would be an interesting change if both perk trees worked for a weapon that is being used in that way, but I guess this really only applies to polearms since it's the odd man out. The issue, to me, is that polearm is a relatively bad perk tree, including things like extra couch damage which is useless because couch without perks already kills everything instantly, and then there is that one hand and two hand trees include a lot of perks like increased damage or speed, but polearm doesn't have that... so when you find a polearm that you want to use that isn't just a typical couching weapon used mainly for horseback, it ultimately appears as a very weak alternative to just using a one hand or two handed weapon instead, especially considering they are overall not exactly the best choice when playing on foot.

All this comes from finding an awesome polearm last night that is really fun to use because it's not a typical polearm; the Rhomphalia... a 203 length, swinging weapon for 169 cut damage. Doesn't even have pierce on it. I mean, a lot of the polearm tree just doesn't even apply to this weapon. It can't couch, it doesn't stab, so it won't knock back, etc etc.

Far as I know, Polearm outranks Two-Handed. So if you're using a two-handed polearm, you're using Polearm. I haven't looked close, but that's my guess.

I know that it doesn't raise both skills, I'm asking if, regardless of that, the two hand perks are still used for a polearm if it's being used as a two handed weapon.

Sorry, I misunderstood then. Regarding perks, it would depend on the individual perks. Things like "+3% hitpoints" should be a passive bonus regardless of weapon, while those that say "... for two-handed-weapons" should only apply to those, but not polearms.

Basically, polearms don't benefit from things that relate to two-handed weapons, even when they are also used with two hands. They still fall solely under polearms.

Back
Top Bottom