Combat movement: turning delay rather than max turning speed

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi there,

Ever since the first multiplayer beta of Warband I've been somewhat annoyed by the way players are able to move during close combat. While M&B is unique in the way weapons are handled, the way players move always feels plain and outdated. I've been wondering about a simple solution to this problem for a long time now, and I think I've thought of something that'll improve a lot.

Right now, players are able to turn really fast. This results in the 'dancing' during a 1 on 1 fight, with the players clinging together spinning around each other trying to dodge attacks and hoping to hit each other in the back. In the past, there have been versions with a turn speed limit, where you just werent able to turn very fast. This resulted in very slow an clumsy movement, and didn't feel good at all. In the current version, I believe there is still a max turning speed, but it's very high and doesn't have a lot of effect.

I think it would be better if there were a slight delay, rather than a max turning speed. So, when you move your view say, 180 degrees, it just takes a little time before your character STARTS turning, and after that the char moves just as fast as it does now. This is very much in line with the way the char responds to the WASD input (which also has a slight delay: try pressing A and D consecutively, and see how the char responds). Also, it is quite realistic: try it, turning around 180 degrees takes almost as long as turning 90 degrees because the action consists mostly of putting your weight on one leg.

Another way of reaching the same goal, is to not have a delay, but just an INCREASING turning speed. So, it starts out slowly, to compensate for the characters reaction time, but increases as you turn further.

Gameplay-wise, I think it adds some depth, because you need to plan ahead a little. Also, it is not beneficial anymore to just cling onto the enemy, spinning around hoping to hit him on the back. Youll need to keep some distance because otherwise he can hit you in the back by outmaneuvering you.

I think this is a very small and simple adjustment that does at least some good to the gameplay.

While I don't think this should be implemented in Warband (perhaps in the next M&B game), I do see merit in it. Much like a Judo (insert your favorite martial art here) tournament has rules that restrict your options. The restrictions limit your resources, making it more challenging.

Agreed. I love inertia-based movement (gives TONS of realism and immediately takes away the gamey, weightless feel) and would greatly help combat, especially when combined with a similar concept for running around. Maybe the effect would be mitigated by higher strength/agility, and altered depending on what weapons and armor are carried? A very agile fighter armed only with a scimitar would be able to whip around a lot more quickly than a plate armored brute with a pollaxe.

Back
Top Bottom