Allright, updated :wink:

Changelog:
-Updated French Ranks
-Updated British Cavalry Ranks
-Added Russian Ranks
-Added Swedish Ranks
-Added everyone who helped to the "Thanks to..." list

Thanks everyone! :grin:

The french cavalry equivalent of sergent is Marechal-des-logis, and the equivalent of sergent-major is Marechal-des-logis Chef.

Portuguese ranks:

Army Commanders

Marechal do Exército - Marshal
General - (Speaks for itself)
Tenente-General - Lieutenant General
Major-General - (Speaks for itself)
Brigadeiro-General - Brigadeir-General

Superior Officers

Coronel - (Speaks for itself)
Tenente-Coronel - Lieutenant-Coronel
Major - (Speaks for itself)

Minor Officers

Capitão - Captain
Tenente - Lieutenant
Alferes - (The equivelent of "Fahnrich" in the german and austrian army.)
Aspirante a Oficial - Officer Cadet

Sergeants

Sargento-mor - Sergeant-Major
Sargento-Chefe - Chief Sergeant
Sargento-Ajudante - Staff Sergeant
Primeiro-Sargento - First Sergeant
Segundo-Sargento - 2nd Sergeant
Furriel - Quartermaster
Segundo-Furriel - 2nd Quartermaster

Enlisted

Cabo-ajudante - Staff Corporal
Primeiro-Cabo - 1st Corporal
Segundo-Cabo - 2nd Corporal
Soldado/Praça - Private
Recruta - Recruit

I hope you could add those.

Some corrections pertaining to the British line regiment ranks:

First off, due to a technicality Colonel shouldn't be on the list. A Lieutenant Colonel would command a battalion, and given that most regiments fielded only a single battalion*, this made him the senior field officer in the regiment.

Also, British line infantry regiments did not have the rank of Second Lieutenant until the 1870s. Another thing, the British rifle regiments never fielded Ensigns, as the rank of Second Lieutenant took the Ensign's duties, and made it obsolete.

In my research, I've yet to find any mention of any Sergeant Major, other than the Regimental one.

In the line infantry, Lance Corporal did not exist during the Napoleonic Wars, and only the rifles used the appointment of Chosen Man.

[* The exception to this was the Guards, Rifles, and a few Foot regiments]

In short, the ranks of a battalion would be thus: (Note: I'm not going to put in appointments like the 'rank' of Adjutant. Someone who knows more on that could correct me.)
Field Officers:
Lieutenant Colonel - Commanded the battalion
Major - 2, each commanded a wing of the battalion

Junior Officers:
Captain
Lieutenant
Ensign

Non-Commissioned Officers:

Regimental Sergeant Major
Colour Sergeant
Sergeant
Corporal

Enlisted:
Private

TheBoberton said:

Such as my personal favourite, and local regiment, the 27th Regiment of foot, which had 3 battalions, all 3 of which served in active duties in the Penninsular war, and the 1st battalion, Fresh from America after being in the war of 1812 after the penninsula was at waterloo, the only Irish regiment present. Thats the Battalion we try to portray as the NW regiment by the way.

Not off topic at all.

TheBoberton said:
Some corrections pertaining to the British line regiment ranks:

First off, due to a technicality Colonel shouldn't be on the list. A Lieutenant Colonel would command a battalion, and given that most regiments fielded only a single battalion*, this made him the senior field officer in the regiment.

Also, British line infantry regiments did not have the rank of Second Lieutenant until the 1870s. Another thing, the British rifle regiments never fielded Ensigns, as the rank of Second Lieutenant took the Ensign's duties, and made it obsolete.

In my research, I've yet to find any mention of any Sergeant Major, other than the Regimental one.

In the line infantry, Lance Corporal did not exist during the Napoleonic Wars, and only the rifles used the appointment of Chosen Man.

In short, the ranks of a battalion would be thus: (Note: I'm not going to put in appointments like the 'rank' of Adjutant. Someone who knows more on that could correct me.)
Field Officers:
Lieutenant Colonel - Commanded the battalion
Major - 2, each commanded a wing of the battalion

Junior Officers:
Captain
Lieutenant
Ensign

Non-Commissioned Officers:

Regimental Sergeant Major
Colour Sergeant
Sergeant
Corporal

Enlisted:
Private

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Colborne,_1st_Baron_Seaton

I beleive at the time Colborne was up to the rank if not passed Colonel and personally lead the 52nd at the battle of waterloo, considering he made it up to Major General by 1825 without buying any of his ranks I'd presume that to be the case.

"Go on Colborne, they won't stand!"

Kator Viridian said:

I beleive at the time Colborne was up to the rank if not passed Colonel and personally lead the 52nd at the battle of waterloo, considering he made it up to Major General by 1825 without buying any of his ranks I'd presume that to be the case.

There were exceptions to what I said, but generally it was a Lieutenant Colonel who lead a battalion in battle. Although, thank you for pointing out one of the exceptions to the general rule, I do enjoy learning more about the history of the era. It might be good to make a note in the rank list that if a regiment had one, they wouldn't have the other.

When you say they only fielded one battalion, do you mean the British kept a second battalion on British soil in reserve, or were there many regiments that only were only comprised of one battalion?

I would've expected British ranks to be the simplest for this community to sort out.  :eek:

TheBoberton said:
Kator Viridian said:

There were exceptions to what I said, but generally it was a Lieutenant Colonel who lead a battalion in battle. Although, thank you for pointing out one of the exceptions to the general rule, I do enjoy learning more about the history of the era. It might be good to make a note in the rank list that if a regiment had one, they wouldn't have the other.

Fixed the british ranks mostly after your suggestions, i will keep the Colonel in the list though as it might not be common, but possible though. :wink:

Bluehawk said:
When you say they only fielded one battalion, do you mean the British kept a second battalion on British soil in reserve, or were there many regiments that only were only comprised of one battalion?

I would've expected British ranks to be the simplest for this community to sort out.  :eek:

I believe a second battalion would exist for the function of "Refilling" the 1st Battalion.

say had staff to recruit, train and maintain soldiers to replace those who died in the 1st battalion.

Bluehawk said:

It depends on the regiment in question. If the regiment had two battalions, generally the second was kept in reserve, to send replacements to the first battalion. Occasionally, the first battalion may have taken enough casualties to call for the battalions to reverse roles*, though this was not a common occurrence. In fact, the only regiment I've read about this happening to was the 42nd after Corunna.

[*The first battalion went home, and the second was sent into the field.]

Edit: I see Frederickson beat me to the answer. :wink:

I see. Thanks. That's similar to the Russian system, where in ideal situations the 1st and 3rd battalions were deployed, and the 2nd was kept in reserve as part of a "Suppy Army". At times though, like Borodino, regiments could have all three on the field at once (and all three would probably be under-manned in that sort of scenario). If new regiments were to be formed by cobbling together pre-existing battalions, it usually came from those 2nd battalions in the rear.

For the french ranks it's not Chef du Bataillon but Chef de Bataillon.
Also, Chef du Eskadron spells Chef d'Escadron 
The french cavalry private rank is cavalier, not "chevalier" which means "knight", and adjutant spells adjudant in french :wink:

MatLae said:
For the french ranks it's not Chef du Bataillon but Chef de Bataillon.
Also, Chef du Eskadron spells Chef d'Escadron 
The french cavalry private rank is cavalier, not "chevalier" which means "knight", and adjutant spells adjudant in french :wink:

Corrected :wink:

Back
Top Bottom