Clarification about New Banners

Users who are viewing this thread

AngryPanCake

Sergeant
Hello,
I am trying to understand how these Banners work. I look at the description and then the numbers, to me it seems like there is some sort of discrepancy.

VtIKwxS.png

So, the first one increases Troop movement speed by 0.05. That's easy to understand.
The second one says it Increases weapon accuracy by -0.06, a negative number? this does not make sense!
There are several of these banners like this.

Hello,
I am trying to understand how these Banners work. I look at the description and then the numbers, to me it seems like there is some sort of discrepancy.

VtIKwxS.png

So, the first one increases Troop movement speed by 0.05. That's easy to understand.
The second one says it Increases weapon accuracy by -0.06, a negative number? this does not make sense!
There are several of these banners like this.
A -6% chance to miserably miss your target?
Probably the figures we see are the actual factors used by the code, not adapted to make it correctly interpreted by the player...
Just guessing...

We see this kind of reverse logic with the tribute payment.
What the player is seeing is that she/he has to pay a tribute tough the other kingdom is facing heavy loss.
But the actual game logic is that the losing kingdom will never stop harassing the player until it recovers some fiefs or until the player pay them something...

The +5% movement banner makes sense and works- the accuracy banner is suspect because there is also a banner that says enemy ranged damage adjusted by -.10 which I have tested and does seem to lower damage received on the troop the banner is applied.

I can't tell on the accuracy thing as 6% is usually within the margin or error on tests, intuitively it makes sense that it boost accuracy by 6% if accuracy is a circle that varies in size at different distances then -6% on the diameter or radius of the cone means more accuracy but I somehow doubt that is how accuracy works in BL.

I think it might mean less accuracy penalty. Like when you raise your bow skill, I don't think your accuracy is actually improving. Its just that there's a penalty at low bow skill which makes your shots go all over the place. So raising your skill gradually reduces that penalty until at some skill level, your shots are hitting right where you aimed them. So the banner would just lower the penalty a little more.

I think it might mean less accuracy penalty. Like when you raise your bow skill, I don't think your accuracy is actually improving. Its just that there's a penalty at low bow skill which makes your shots go all over the place. So raising your skill gradually reduces that penalty until at some skill level, your shots are hitting right where you aimed them. So the banner would just lower the penalty a little more.
highly plausible!

Yeah, this is indeed the case. Agents have a property for WeaponInaccuracy and the banner effect lowers that. Though you do wonder why they didn't just handle it like they did perks.

It's still very confusing.
So when it says " Increases weapon accuracy (-0.06)" it means the accuracy penalty is reduced by 0.06?

Yep. I guess they just phrased it the way they did because inaccuracy or accuracy penalty don't show up anywhere on the player's end. Not very intuitive though.

I believe TW also doesn´t really understand a lot of stuff that is in the game. Which explains a lot.

I believe TW also doesn´t really understand a lot of stuff that is in the game. Which explains a lot.
No their understanding is way beyond our capability of understanding things. I mean, if you look at prisoner numbers ( they will give you negative number and force you to do the math yourself) at towns and castles, you'll see what I mean.

As a programmer I concur: Write once, never understand again is a constant program with any code older than the current sprint. That is why maintaining code quality is so essential. Even with that understanding all the dependencies and interaction and edge cases is a horror show even without two year old code you have not written yourself.

Back
Top Bottom