City, town, village

Users who are viewing this thread

So it seems that while city is pretty clearly the big walled fief, small unwalled fief is called both village and town on occasion (though i think in game it's only called village, i may be wrong though) and to confuse matters more city si also sometimes called town. Now i think that, if the village was really a town (as in, a sort of central village for a cluster of smaller villages) that would explain a lot, not only how such small number of fiefs (even if we account for them being bigger in lore) can support so big of an army, and why they can restore themselves so fast after a raid (if they are just market hubs of sorts then presumably majority of people are untouched in such raids, it's just that the facilities for tax collection and trade are destroyed).

Fief can be anything, basically any revenue producing property, position or office.

As for your confusion, I am not sure where it comes from since distinction is pretty clear in game. City/town are the same thing (city being just large town anyway). Villages are villages, not towns and are not called anything but villages in the game.

As for physical objects you see in the game, they are just representations. So yes, they typically represent much larger entities in reality. Raids, regeneration and other game concepts are abstractions, this is not a detailed realistic simulation of medieval life.

hruza said:
Fief can be anything, basically any revenue producing property, position or office.

As for your confusion, I am not sure where it comes from since distinction is pretty clear in game. City/town are the same thing (city being just large town anyway). Villages are villages, not towns and are not called anything but villages in the game.

As for physical objects you see in the game, they are just representations. So yes, they typically represent much larger entities in reality. Raids, regeneration and other game concepts are abstractions, this is not a detailed realistic simulation of medieval life.

From what i know in RPG terms town is any map location which can provide facilities such as market, blacksmith, rest, missions and similar, now M&B has no blacksmithing mechanic but otherwise villages qualify at least partially. And IRL it seems there is no real hard distinction between town and village, differentiation seems rather subjective and vague.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/geography-miscellaneous/difference-between-village-and-town/

It all comes down to semantics. In game, the smaller, un-walled, indefensible locations are called villages, but I think that as the prosperity of the village grows, it could get to the point of being classified a town (assuming a town is just a larger village, but not quite large enough to be a city). Obviously there is no way in the game to change a village to a city, but in real life that is how things happen. And the difference between town and village only being the level of prosperity, it really does not affect the game unless you happen to own that village or town.

Similarly, the larger walled locations are the cities. Their prosperity also changes, but their is no real distinction other than an increased number of goods to buy and the merchants having more money in their inventory.

StonewallJackson said:
It all comes down to semantics. In game, the smaller, un-walled, indefensible locations are called villages, but I think that as the prosperity of the village grows, it could get to the point of being classified a town (assuming a town is just a larger village, but not quite large enough to be a city). Obviously there is no way in the game to change a village to a city, but in real life that is how things happen. And the difference between town and village only being the level of prosperity, it really does not affect the game unless you happen to own that village or town.

Similarly, the larger walled locations are the cities. Their prosperity also changes, but their is no real distinction other than an increased number of goods to buy and the merchants having more money in their inventory.

I would say that the difference is that town is more or less independent as far as governing itself is concerned, from what i gathered town has it's own major, market and would in modern times have it's own police and fire department, though this may be different back in medieval time, but most important is the fact that it controls it's civic resources independently of some other entity, while village is part of either town or city and is primarily controlled from there. In medieval times it can get somewhat more blurry as lord of the town may or may not be taking an active part in governing the town or policing it, and many civic functions like police, transportation and the like are not yet present.

I think the confusion comes mostly from how we refer to these fiefs here on the boards, not in the game. 

In the game, it's pretty straightforward:

Small, unwalled fiefs=villages
Large, walled fiefs=towns

Between villages and towns you have castles, but there's hardly mistaking any of those since they all have "Castle" in their names.

Here on the boards, we tend to refer to towns as both "towns" and "cities," but it's all the same.

Back
Top Bottom