Cheat Engine Tutorial: Have Thousands of Troops in M&B

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruarz

Regular
HARDCORE  :twisted: CHEATING IN M&B

Well as far as my reputation on the forum goes this is going to be a bit of a blow :smile: this is probably one of the dirtiest cheats around. People tend to shy away from fiddling with memory addresses but it is entirely legal, easy and presents no threat to your computer so long as you don't begin to meddle with addresses associated with core windows processes.

With the program Cheat Engine, you can manipulate any value on your computer, so long as you can identify its memory address and form.

Before I start I want want to say two things: First, is my knowledge is limited of editing memory addresses so first of all I want to say If you're stuck, it's unlikely I can help, you can probably learn how to fix it quicker than me especially as the program features an in depth tutorial, most of which I haven't even seen.

Secondly I am anticipating a lot of criticism for defying the game. I wouldn't be surprised if this thread was taken down but it has been requested and I don't see why it shouldn't be shared.

My philosophy is most things I can do can be done by following the game, but with more time. This is the quick and easy method for those than can only grab several hours each week, and aren't interested in following the game as it should be played.

Anyway: begin by downloading and installing the program from this site:

http://www.cheatengine.org/download.php

If you are shy about installing bits and bobs on your computer I can assure you this is legit, quality software. If you are really that shy, leave this thread now, as this method probably isn't for you.

Follow the basics on the tutorial. Anything that involves hex editing or binary you don't need to know. I don't even know what that does let alone how it works :smile:

Once you've done that you can probably work out how to use it practically in M&B on your own. Try not to fiddle with the speedhack. Although it works for many other purposes (slow mo in Assassins Creed 2 :grin:) the M&B engine does not support it and you can probably expect a crash.

Anyway. As it stands I use Cheat Engine for two purposes. I will explain the first today:

Purpose One: Adding Troops.

You can either add troops to your party or the garrison of town/castle. I will show you how to modify the number of troops in a party, however modifying in a town is just as easy. The trick lies in identifying the address. So if you can change a number, you can track it and tweak it.

STEP ONE: Identifying the process: To find the address you will first have to select the application you want to use. In this case it's fairly blatant. Start Warband, let it load to the menu screen. Go to the process list, and find "mb_warband.exe"

Here is a screenshot. I will post a screen shot for each step. The pictures are massive so to keep a tidy page close each one after you're done with it :smile:

SelectProcess.jpg

STEP TWO: Recruit some units: Or use existing ones. You'll need at least 5 to identify the process. In this case I've used 15 of my Imperial Recruits, part of a faction I made which you can incorporate into native if you're interested. Post it here if you are.

Recruits.jpg

STEP THREE: Get them to where you want them to be. In this case I've upgraded them down the speaman route. Use the M&B cheat option to upgrade them quickly if you want (Ctrl + X).

MenatArms.jpg

STEP FOUR: First scan: There are 15 Men at Arms so put in 15 in the value entry and hit "New Scan"

15Cheat.jpg

STEP FIVE: A huge list of addresses has come up: any single bit of code with "15" in it, any string or value "15" will be on this list. We now need to change it in game so that we can identify from this list. For arguments' sake I have disbanded 3 men so I am left with 12. I now input 12 into the value box and hit "Next Scan"

12Cheat.jpg

STEP SIX: Just to make sure: Now all the values which where 15 and are now 12 have come up. This is two addresses. To make sure these are the ones I need I will do one more scan, disbanding another two troops, leaving 10. I put 10 in the value box and hit "Next Scan"

10Cheat.jpg

STEP SEVEN: Changing the value: The same two values have come up, these are clearly linked to the men at arms in my party. One address is irrelevant, I don't know what it does, it is linked with the number of troops, maybe something to do with upgrading or morale. The irrelevant address name should look like "042C516C".

The relevant address, which determines the number of troops should look like "3E6F9E58". Click this (*1), and it should be added to the list of addresses at the bottom (*2). Click the value in the address list and change it to a number of your choice (In this case 100).

ChangeAddressCheat.jpg

STEP 8: Look at your party: As if by magic, you now have 100 troops in you party. Note that it is inside your party limit. Having 3005/755 troops like in the next step will likely break the game or cause morale bugs after a while. This is why it is generally better to apply the same principle to garrisoned troops but I will show you anyway for tutorial's sake.

Cheated.jpg

STEP 9: Going Nuts: Go back to Cheat Engine and change the value to 3000.

3000Cheat.jpg
STEP 10: Too many troops: As I explained earlier you now have too many troops.

3000Cheat.jpg

STEP 11: Stash them: Stick your new army in your base. As you can see I have my massive army stored at Dhrim. Clearly to finance such an army you have to cheat with money too :grin:

Dhrim.jpg

STEP 12: Having now stored the men in your town, going back to Cheat Engine you will notice the address for troops in your party has gone back to 0.

DhrimAfter.jpg

Well that's it. Sounds hard but the I've explained it rather longwindedly. The whole process can be done in under a minute.

If I get enough positive feedback on this I'll post how to edit XP so you can level up heroes quickly, however, I'd be fairly surprised if you can't apply what I've said here to most things. It's a fairly simple concept.

Cheers :smile:

*update* I'm slowly working my way through the typos :smile: tell me if you find any more :grin:

Yeah CE is a great program, I've used it in other games to get back stuff I lost due to save corruption, or to speed up grinding etc. I don't think you have to worry about getting flamed for talking about it (although they are kinda ban-happy around here).

Usually, the simpler a game is, the easier it is to mess with. The biggest caveat I can think of with Warband is that every time they update it you will probably have to update your cheat tables (re-locate all the addresses). They seem close to done with that now though.

edit: Just make sure you keep the discussion to single-player cheating, which is obviously intended since you posted on the single-player board. If anyone thought you were talking about multiplayer cheating you'd be instantly crucified, not to mention the servers would probably detect the cheat and ban you anyway lol

This is not the cheat option i would use, for no enemies would try to siege my town/castle then and so 0 fun :smile: but if this allows editing companion exp as well i may give it a try.

I always figured that using CE in large scale games like warband would be much harder though  :grin:

Its not really hardcore or badass. It's the same as cheat-o-matic from 12 years ago. Additionally, you can just give troops and companions exp via existing in game cheats to raise their levels, so it would be silly to use this program for that.

12 years ago I would have been 4. I'm not pretending its something new, but it was requested on another thread and I took the time to explain it.

Ahah yeah my choice of language was shoddy though :wink: wish I could change that :smile:

You realise to level up your hero to level 60 you'll have to press Ctrl + X over 10000 times? And there is no quicker way to get as many troops as you like, of whatever type or rank you like.

+ @laheja, im not suggesting have 7000 troops in a castle, thats just plain ridiculous, but the idea stands, you can have as many as you like. :smile:

And when you say large scale you mean what? battle size or depth of coding and stuff?

AWESOME! Now I got 12000 troops in my town (go to hell, recruiting from villages, Cheat Engine is the new way of recruiting!) Everytime I withdrew more troops from town - it set the value to whatever amount of troops I took out and allowed me to again edit it! YAYY YAYAYAYAYAYAYA! Anyways, not like I always cheat, but sometimes conquering Europe in Europe 1200 with 12k troops can be a bit easier.

Ricox said:
AWESOME! Now I got 12000 troops in my town (go to hell, recruiting from villages, Cheat Engine is the new way of recruiting!) Everytime I withdrew more troops from town - it set the value to whatever amount of troops I took out and allowed me to again edit it! YAYY YAYAYAYAYAYAYA! Anyways, not like I always cheat, but sometimes conquering Europe in Europe 1200 with 12k troops can be a bit easier.
Just wait 'till you have to pay wages. :razz:

Well I'm glad someone appreciates the two hours I put into posting this :grin:

Feedback is more than welcome so keep it rolling :smile:

^and the point of that comment was ... ?

This thread makes me almost wish that there could be some sort of TW and M&B hybrid, by which I mean the M&B engine could handle thousands of troops on each side, in formation, with advanced tactics. Oh well. The problem with the cheat here is that it would totally wreck the experience of the game - with battlesizer, and army of 1000 v. an army of 100 would mean that there would be 1 enemy for every troop you have, which, I think, would be excruciatingly boring.

Ruarz said:
+ @laheja, im not suggesting have 7000 troops in a castle, thats just plain ridiculous, but the idea stands, you can have as many as you like. :smile:

And when you say large scale you mean what? battle size or depth of coding and stuff?

In large scale i'm thinking games which are more than some or 20 or so mb big and not online games and not new games.

I have used CE only in minigames and online games.
And Diablo 2 but that's game which is well over 10 years old.

socks said:

This thread makes me almost wish that there could be some sort of TW and M&B hybrid, by which I mean the M&B engine could handle thousands of troops on each side, in formation, with advanced tactics. Oh well. The problem with the cheat here is that it would totally wreck the experience of the game - with battlesizer, and army of 1000 v. an army of 100 would mean that there would be 1 enemy for every troop you have, which, I think, would be excruciatingly boring.

Wholeheartedly concur.

@ socks

socks said:

Agreed. :neutral:

I know what you're saying, the tactics do wear thin after a while, I normally make several groups of troops and then organise them into lines, with archers on high ground behind. You can use the hold ground movement tactic to flank the bulk of an enemy force with cavalry.

I tend to only field an army of 100-250 at a time, and because my troops are my own elite faction, this normally does me to take down armies of between 750 and 1500. I just hoard the extra troops and distribute them to my lords :smile:

@ laheja

I was shocked when MW2 lost the slow mo feature which provided hours of replay value, so I've used it for that. I've also hacked Assassins Creed 2 for money. I find the size of the game doesn't really matter so long as you can pinpoint the address.

Well one would guess that in time games become immune in some sorts of hacking  :roll:

Don't know about AC2 assassins creed one barely runs my computer...

When you do stuff like this, you take all the challenge out of the game, and thus, you take all the fun out of it as well. How boring would it be to have 12,000 troops in all your towns? The answer: Very Boring. The key to something being fun is to have a certain level of challenge; not so much that it is frustrating, but not so easy that it becomes dull. If you get no sense of accomplishment from your victories, then who cares? It just becomes a one way ticket to Dullsville.

laheja said:
but if this allows editing companion exp as well i may give it a try.

why bother messing with all that when you can enable cheats and press ctrl+x when talking to them?

Urlik said:
laheja said:
but if this allows editing companion exp as well i may give it a try.

why bother messing with all that when you can enable cheats and press ctrl+x when talking to them?

Because it only adds 1000 xp at a time. Level 62 to is 644046000 xp. That means to get to level 62 you have to press Ctrl + X 64404 times. Yeah. Fun.

who the heck needs level 62 companions? theyre already deadly by 20 and even deadlier at 30 which isnt too hard to get to. that's enough to get 30 into one stat and like 20 into another already x_x it's really just proficiencies, equipment, and INT skills that make companions powerful, not level.

last i checked, changing the xp number doesnt level them up properly in granting attribute and skill points.

anyway, to each their own. im sure people who wanted this have done it already--address byte editing is nothing new. not many games out there let you feel human again, and that's what gives m&b its charm. you'll defeat the game alright... in more than one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom