Castle Discussion ONLY Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, yeah - a personal economy would be great and it would be nice if castles generated their own troops that I could pull out in the "Reinforce Garrison" option.  All I'm saying is that I don't typically carry around all of my stuff and that a few more places to stash extra gear would be great.

If all these are top be added then the size of the castle should be bigger. There should be barracks, buildings for the armourers, maybe a "fighting pit" were soldiers would train -and you could train with them-(possibly something like the arena) a jousting arena (for practicing riding). Also the whole castle should be more interactive... Maybe some campfires with some of your troops drinking ale or wine around it, a "hotel" where passing by merchants could take a rest, soldiers walking around the place .... and maybe -who knows- a pimp  :razz: :lol: :lol: :wink:. The castles tower should be Marnid's, Borchas and your private chambres. Also you would have to hire personel for cleaning the castle up -cleaning the stables, the "toilets", cooking and serving food etc.

Also a dungeon should exist and be able to "visit" your prisoners.

He are some pics of castles:
~a dungeon

dungeon2.jpg

~kitchen
thumb_18.jpg

~great hall (or simply hall :grin:)
Chillingham-Hall.jpg

Hmm, a lot of these ideas would take a looooooooong time to put in, so I've got a more dumbed own version of a castle.

A. The castle would have a stable, where you can buy and sell horses, but all of these horses are cheaper for you, but ones you sell sell for the same as you would to a normal merchant.

B. A barracks which generates five soldiers a week (they start off as peasants of your faction, if you have no faction, then they start off as peasants and progress as the zendar peasants do), and the longer they stay in the barracks, the higher they advance, you can also place units in the barracks to have them be trained higher. Once the units gain enough experience to gain a level, you have to go back to the barracks and level them up to whatever unit you want. Units in the barracks are the ones who defend the castle as the garrison. The speed at which units are trained in the barracks is your own training level but with an extra 25%.

C. An armory, which is basically the armor and weapons merchants, but all of the stuff is cheaper.

D. A storage area with a lot of space.

E. A merchant who sells you food and horses that may not be in the stables.

There where a couple of other suggestions I had, but those are not as important and i forgot them right now, i may add them later.

<Edit made to fix spelling errors>

Dude, tsoum, quit multi-posting. 

Good ideas, though, although if you look, your castle is about the size of Zendar, and Zendar pretty much has all you wanted except the hotel and the camp fires.

I thing that in later versions if the enemy will be able to attack the castle it should have it's own defense like a moat with  a dawn bridge.
And I agree to that that the castle has a training area...and some stables...anyway in medieval times castles had many buildings inside the walls and outside so it needs to change the area outside like some farms and farmers a cow or something...

I think he's confusing it with surrounding villages.. :wink:
I don't think there's a special need for barracks in the castle. Sure, you can station some soldiers there but without you or your entourage they shouldn't advance. Ofcourse, if you could leave Marnid there and he has a trainer skill, then, yeah. But just everyday generating of soldier is a bit much. They can train whoever you bring there.

And, there is already a prison in your castle, and it's most helpful. I think just adding the merchant there is fair enough. 

Alright, a completely different take:

you aren't loyal to any of the 2 big factions, you just took one of those hostile castles.
(forget about shops and production facilities - its an empty fort!)

what is the setting around you? slavery, bandits, prisoner trains..

why not operate like a robber baron and send out your own raiders to go attack caravans; enslave stranded peasants; raid towns; then bring the loot back to your keep.
So when you get back sometime you can gloat over all your takings - and the rebel army outside planning a siege to rid the world of an evil menace like you.  :wink:

now lets consider the technical side of things - where do armies, caravans, slave trains come from?
do they not 'spawn' at the towns?
if so, simply have player controlled castles spawn those things too. I guess the only extra code needed would be to send those unit's loot and prisoners to the fort now and then.

as a sidenote: someone wanted 'shops' in his castletown - why would you want to 'trade'/buy stuff from merchants in your own castle??
it would make more sense to pick up loot freely.

Rian said:
now lets consider the technical side of things - where do armies, caravans, slave trains come from?
do they not 'spawn' at the towns?
if so, simply have player controlled castles spawn those things too. I guess the only extra code needed would be to send those unit's loot and prisoners to the fort now and then.

as a sidenote: someone wanted 'shops' in his castletown - why would you want to 'trade'/buy stuff from merchants in your own castle??
it would make more sense to pick up loot freely.

Sir, I see not why I cannot have shops in my castle.  Loot refers to items found after a battle.  I want to be able to trade in my own castle.  I want merchants to come bearing goods.

No new ideas??? I don't have anything to say but I don't want this topic forgotten since the two castles play a primary role in my game.

An idea that I just thought of, derives from a mod. I am not sure but I think -from what I've heard in here- that in older versions the Veagir and Swadian castles could be conquered. In this mod -Firearms or something like that- if you join a fraction you can actually neutralize the other side's castle. It also said in the game log that your castles could be attacked by the enemy, but I'm in day 35-- and no Veagir war party has attacked a Swadian town and no neutral bandits attacked my castles:???: :???: :???: :sad: :sad: ... It be more amazing if you actually could defend your castle against 80 dark knights..

no, i doubt anyone would forget this, i just hope the developers take note...

i, a paying customer, presented my idea, now i simply hope the developers find some ideas they could implement in these posts..

I don't think there's a special need for barracks in the castle

Your right these types of castles would have had plenty of room for there garrisons without needing another structure.

Hmm, a lot of these ideas would take a looooooooong time to put in, so I've got a more dumbed own version of a castle.

A. The castle would have a stable, where you can buy and sell horses, but all of these horses are cheaper for you, but ones you sell sell for the same as you would to a normal merchant.

B. A barracks which generates five soldiers a week (they start off as peasants of your faction, if you have no faction, then they start off as peasants and progress as the zendar peasants do), and the longer they stay in the barracks, the higher they advance, you can also place units in the barracks to have them be trained higher. Once the units gain enough experience to gain a level, you have to go back to the barracks and level them up to whatever unit you want. Units in the barracks are the ones who defend the castle as the garrison. The speed at which units are trained in the barracks is your own training level but with an extra 25%.

C. An armory, which is basically the armor and weapons merchants, but all of the stuff is cheaper.

D. A storage area with a lot of space.

E. A merchant who sells you food and horses that may not be in the stables.

There where a couple of other suggestions I had, but those are not as important and i forgot them right now, i may add them later.

In this game and in real history the pressence of a town does not mean the absence of a castle. That is that all the towns in this game are surrounding a castle, so they are called towns. However castles are simply called castles because they lack merchants and villagers. thats the way they wanted it. Although I think you should be able to capture towns, i think the castles should remain pure stratigic strongholds. and there should be more of them in better positions

ie. along the borders of the two kingdoms and Inbetween large towns.

Castles... The castle assault was very dissapointing for me...

There's only one path to climb. No siege weapons. A single way to get trought all your army. And once you conquer them... Nothing really cool happens...

A Real castle siege with siege weapons and other things (See rome total war, for example) would be an excelent thing for this game.

Sir, have you looked at our mod selection?

I do believe the "Swadian Civil War" mod and the Sieges Mod are what you are looking for. Hopefully, the Holy War mod, when it is released, will be to your liking as well.

A good day to you.

Thanks a lot, but I was talking about adding it to the original client.

Anyway, I'm going to try them...

(sorry for my english)

Back
Top Bottom