Caribbean!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,
I got a question:
      Is there a save release date for the carribean MP they where disscussing about on steam since mounth?

(sry for not reading all the other posts / and maybe even for posting in the wrong thread^^)

Lightman said:
hey guys,
I got a question:
      Is there a save release date for the carribean MP they where disscussing about on steam since mounth?

(sry for not reading all the other posts / and maybe even for posting in the wrong thread^^)

Hello mate,
yo-ho-ho. Sadly, I want to let you know that there WON"T be any multiplayer in Carribean!
Snowbird studios decided to remove it in order to focus on more important aspects of the game.

Lightman said:
wildyracing said:
Snowbird studios decided to remove it in order to focus on more important aspects of the game.
There are more important aspects than the multiplayer :O  ???
Apparently, yes.

Here's what got dropped:
Imper1um said:
Hi guys,

As promised, we shared the details on the game elements we had in mind but had to exclude from the upcoming release version. Have a read: http://snowbirdgames.com/?p=1293

And here's what they're adding in return:
Ivan the Mediocre said:
http://snowbirdgames.com/?p=1299

So this is what they have to offer us in return for all that cool stuff dropped  :sad:

If anyone hasn't updated Carribean in a while can you make a copy of the module folder, the sceneobj folder in particular.  I looked and they've replaced what scenes there were with empty fields now, but might be able to mod them back in somehow. Not that it's our feckin job, *sigh*.

jacobhinds said:
What the hell?  :lol:

There used to be scenes you could look at using the cheatmenu (town interior and exterior). Gone now.  I checked an old version I have and it's got 232 sceneobj files (someone else told me 300 for their old copy), compared to 66 for current version. Obviously various locations would use duplicate scene like native, but  as far as I remember there were  3-4  uniques when I quickly looked around. Might be more, I stopped looking as I wanted to experience them properly on the final release (foolish naive kraggrim).

I just fired up the game and I honestly think this is by far the worst thing associated with the franchise so far. At  least viking conquest was functional and delivered on a lot of new things despite having a ton of shortcomings. This game has literally no scenes, not even palace scenes. I don't know wtf happens when I start a land battle, I spawn inside a castle with a weird battle start timer and my men can't be controlled and they stand still while the enemy teleports all over before the battle technically begins. I can't even see when I fire cannons from ships because there's no explosions and barely any noise. I can go on and on. I don't even know what this game will be able to offer me even when its "fully" released. Only thing I can remember is the ability to swing from ship to ship but the icons go away after one guy uses them.

Snowbird Games said:
‘Caribbean!’ was born as a simple idea — adding fleet to ‘With Fire and Sword’
Why did they think of adding a fleet befor thinking of fixing the bugged MP and why dont they do that now :/ that was the only reason why I bought this game!!!!

Imper1um said:
Ivan the Mediocre said:
http://snowbirdgames.com/?p=1299

So this is what they have to offer us in return for all that cool stuff dropped  :sad:

We understood some people might be disappointed by the news we posted earlier, but at the same time wanted to be completely honest about it and not just pretend the initial release version would be as perfect as we all wished.

However, as we already mentioned, we don't plan to stop working on the game once it's released. The list of postponed features is more of a plan on how we'd like to expand the project, with free content patches. We'll explain our stance on it in more detail a bit later.

I back you up Snowbird, as far as you keep your promise and continue to work on the game after release and give us free expansions with those cool cut features. Your last update looks very promising and I'm sure that one or two more of the same size will get where you want to be. Keep up the good work and don't take a set because of all the pity customers - they will love you once more after you deliver what they paid for.

Furrnox said:
Why would they put time into patching an old game?

@Furrnox, just because one game is "old" it doesn't mean that the developers should forget about it and stop the support. They've collected money out of this product and spent them for their living. Money came from the customers, some of who still enjoy their product. When some people find a weak spot in it, isn't better for everyone if the problem gets a fix? Why would you work so hard to provide a great PC game and then just leave it without maintenance just because it gets "old".
This consumer way of thinking I don't get - the desire to always buy and have something new (often of doubtful quality) instead of maintaining and using whatever good stuff you already own.

wildyracing said:
Why would you work so hard to provide a great PC game and then just leave it without maintenance just because it gets "old".

Because nobody's buying anymore. Nowadays Wfas gets shoved on bundles with ten other shovelwares for £1. Not only would it be a waste of money for snowbird to continue it, the handful of people who still have the game installed wouldn't benefit from fixes since wfas MP is dead. Unless snowbird comes out with an earth-shattering patch that gets youtubers and games websites involved, it's gonna stay that way.

jacobhinds said:
wildyracing said:
Why would you work so hard to provide a great PC game and then just leave it without maintenance just because it gets "old".

Because nobody's buying anymore. Nowadays Wfas gets shoved on bundles with ten other shovelwares for £1. Not only would it be a waste of money for snowbird to continue it, the handful of people who still have the game installed wouldn't benefit from fixes.

I can understand your arguments, but I don't agree with them.

Firstly, I personally own wFaS and play it even now. Strictly singleplayer, cause I don't like PvP multiplayer games at all. wFaS is a wonderful game even in its current state (1.143) and has the potential to be better than Warband, only if the devs had worked on the game after release (@gaham1 made a good point). There are many problems with 1.143 (not a single pf them gamebraking) that could be fixed by the devs, if only they had a desire to keep what they promised back in the days.

And this isn't about money or fame. Keeping your promises and trying to be best at your job is about dignity and personal honor, it is about morale - things that obviously are obsolete in 21 century... but I still hold to those virtues as hard as I can, even if many others find them worse than money-making and commerse.

And yes, I would enjoy a patch for wFaS even today and it would benefit me a lot. Surely, there are more people like me.

wildyracing said:
Firstly, I personally own wFaS and play it even now. Strictly singleplayer, cause I don't like PvP multiplayer games at all. wFaS is a wonderful game even in its current state (1.143) and has the potential to be better than Warband
:lol:
Aren't you trying a little too hard?

Golradir said:
wildyracing said:
Firstly, I personally own wFaS and play it even now. Strictly singleplayer, cause I don't like PvP multiplayer games at all. wFaS is a wonderful game even in its current state (1.143) and has the potential to be better than Warband

About what? Because I like the early gunpowder warfare better than the medieval one? Or because I like the historical situated gameplay more than the fictional one? I didn't say the wFaS is better than Warband, because it is not. I said it HAS the potential to be better if only Snowbird had the desire to finish it. And it is my opinion, I don't force it upon you.

YourStepDad said:
They said they'd maybe patch it after they're done with carribean, but at this rate I very much doubt such a thing will be happening.

It will be awesome if they patch wFaS anytime! Not those nonsense Warband patches that Taleworlds bring every week because of the Viking Conquest, but a real, true patch that fixes bugs and add features, which I haven't seen for a long time for both wFaS and for Warband...

I may go as far as to suggest Snowbird to consider patching wFaS before finishing Caribbean. I doubt every person from the studio can work simultaneously on their new game and in the end of the day the people judge you by your deeds.
Maybe the game developers wouldn't be so overburdened by giving the patch task to one or two employees which aren't too busy with Caribbean. And this way they will show their virtues and keep their previous promises. It is a win win situation!

Golradir said:
wildyracing said:

I'd actually have to agree that vanilla WFAS SP is a far better game, because of just how much better its gameplay is, not counting the rest. It simply improves upon all that was good in warband.

YourStepDad said:
Golradir said:
wildyracing said:

I'd actually have to agree that vanilla WFAS SP is a far better game, because of just how much better its gameplay is, not counting the rest. It simply improves upon all that was good in warband.

Exactly my thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom