Campaign map path-finding.

Users who are viewing this thread

EdwardWellcraft

Sergeant Knight
So, when you click to go somewhere does the game try to pick the fastest route, or is it following roads or something? This has been bugging me since original mount and blade but I never bothered bringing it up. When I click to go to a city half the time my party shoots off at a 90 degree angle to that city and tries to take some really round about route. So I'll usually click closer to myself and drag my party along a straight line to get to my destination. Is there any benefit to just letting the path-finding work how it wants to?

No, there's no benefit. The pathfinding is crap, it's as simple as that.
I kinda get it, though. There's a lot of parties on the map, so more intense pathfinding would slow the game down dramatically. That said, would it really be that difficult to have the player's party's pathfinding accurate but keep the AI parties' rough and simple?

Drives me up the wall when my party decide to run threw trees insteed of taking the direct and open route.
I use to think it gat better with pathfinding skill but I don't think that is the case

Thundertrod said:
Drives me up the wall when my party decide to run threw trees insteed of taking the direct and open route.
I use to think it gat better with pathfinding skill but I don't think that is the case
Increasing your pathfinding skill just makes your party travel through the trees faster. It doesnt help you avoid them, or those crazy little brown ditches, whatever they are supposed to represent.

Yep, roads.

That's one of the really irritating things about Warband. I mean, M&B had the same mechanism for roads, and it was a known issue. Why the hell would you a) not fix it for the next game, and b) use the exact same mechanism when you know it causes problems? One of lifes little mysteries.

sirinan, you're trying to tell me those little brown gully details, which I have been calling dry washes for some time, are supposed to be roads?  Roads to what, no where?  I remember trying to herd cows to Tosdhar and when they hit that first wash, just started zig-zagging back and forth and never crossed.

woofty said:
sirinan, you're trying to tell me those little brown gully details, which I have been calling dry washes for some time, are supposed to be roads?  Roads to what, no where?  I remember trying to herd cows to Tosdhar and when they hit that first wash, just started zig-zagging back and forth and never crossed.
Question: Why did the cow cross the road?
            Answer: It didnt, it was a trick question.
I can say without fear of contradiction that those "roads" are not the remnants of the Roman road system. Roman roads were beeline straight and actually went somewhere. A Roman road from Suno to Dhirim would have climbed those stupid cliffs and not force you to make that hellacious diversion near Tosdhar.

Yep, That's the road.

And it does seem these people never had a Roman Road system or Romans for that matter. They are forced to take the ditch roads the caravans would wear into the earth (I'm not saying the caravans really take these).

ejnomad07 said:
Yep, That's the road.

And it does seem these people never had a Roman Road system or Romans for that matter. They are forced to take the ditch roads the caravans would wear into the earth (I'm not saying the caravans really take these).
Having roads would make sense if you had the option,"follow the road" and got a substantial speed bonus, but the way these things are now, theyre an impediment to movement.

Lord Brutus said:
ejnomad07 said:
Yep, That's the road.

Having roads would make sense if you had the option,"follow the road" and got a substantial speed bonus, but the way these things are now, theyre an impediment to movement.

Native Expansion had a road system or more like a half done road system that upgraded as you built it. If I remember correctly though that massive coding for roads and applying the speed bonus to all parties on the roads all over the map was so resource intensive they had to scrap it due to map instability and slow downs. I assume that's the case here. Well that and that cliff you're talking about it pretty big. I'm pretty sure that even the Romans would go around that. Case in point you are not really to scale. You are the size of a village or castle. That cliff is not really a small step.

I'd like it if there was no road system to start with, but as traffic between trade centers increased, tracks were worn into the map. maybe have them start out only between the towns and villages within each faction and then spreading out to other factions as trade increased.

have the path finding weighted by the terrain so that forests would be avoided if possible and rivers would have fordable crossings (that would become bridges over time)

after reading the above post, the devs could let the game run on the campaign map for a few game years so the road system filled out and then put the finished system into the retail game without all the code for building the roads.

then the roads would make sense and be far less frustrating

Dunno about you guys but my army seems to deliberately stray from the straighter logical route onto a nearby road if there is one - it also appears to travel faster for it doing so though reported speed seems the same!

Back
Top Bottom