SP Medieval Fantasy Camelot: A King Arthur Mod - open Beta version 0.31 Release!

Users who are viewing this thread

The game already has appropriate armor for either "Dark Age" or "High Medieval" versions of Arthur. Mail shirts for the former and full plate for the latter.

Yeah. I really don't need to add much in the way of items. Just a few unique pieces. I'm very much leaning towards an even earlier time period though, so there will likely be no full plate whatsoever.

Don Doggy said:
thrakkemarn said:
Not so crazy: ever read "The Once and Future King"?

So this is based on a book instead of reality?

...I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But just in case you (or someone else out there) is confused: This IS King Arthur we're talking about. And you know, he wasn't real. Merlin wasn't real. Magic isn't real. Don't take it too hard though...

If we're going with a historical "Arthur" then we'd still be pulling stuff out of our asses cause there's no definitive historical record of him. But the "King Arthur" that everyone loves (whether it be Mallory's or a movie version or even the one from that stupid cartoon about football players and time travel) is a fictional character.

On a different note (and so that this post isn't wasted): if you are concerned about historical accuracy you can always help with research or information. If you look at the first post you'll see I have a set of factions sketched out. I'm thinking this will be set post-Anglo pre-Saxon England  :mrgreen:, and so some (roughly) accurate troops and factions are there.

thrakkemarn said:
Light Hobelar
Heavy Hobelar

I managed to some info on these guys(they are actually spelled Hobilar)
Hobilars in Gaelic society during the early medieval period were in effect skirmishers that were formed up of nobles and the more wealthy freemen usually from the chieftains own household. It was these superb horsemen who were in the vanguard of cattle-raids in order to quickly seize cattle and valuables before they were hidden by their owners. They also provided a rear guard action fighting off these same disgruntled owners (and any warriors on horseback that were able to arrive quickly enough) while the foot soldiers herded the cattle and carried any valuables back to their lord’s territory.

Against Norman armies the Hobilar continued to use these ‘hit & run tactics’ by riding from dense woods and bogs close enough to discharge a shower of javelins and wheel away to return to cover These tactics effectively neutralised the superior Norman armies.

It wasn’t until the arrival of the Galloglaich that pitched battles became more commonplace and the Hobilars began to become more heavily armed and against other native Irish armies the Hobilar could dismount and fight with the infantry, bolstering the fighting quality of the traditionally unarmoured Gaelic warrior in a pitched battle.

As the Medieval period progressed and both the Irish and Anglo-Irish armies began to act and fight in a similar fashion and the hobilar began to be used as cavalry engaging their opponents cavalry all the while still well-adapted at pursuing the defeated enemies when they broke and ran.

And some items
Leine(irish for shirt)
Hood
Mail Shirt
Helmet(mainly leather)
Spear
Javelins or Darts
Shield or Buckler
Sword
Dagger or Scian(same thing)

Very much appreciate the info! The items in particular will be VERY useful. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Although you are not incorrect regarding the Hobilar, I would direct you to search for Hobelar - you will see that it is a correct spelling, and in fact the origin of this type of unit is actually Irish, where they were light horsemen who rode Hobby horses, equipped with Padded Cloth or in some cases Mail Shirts.

Also - when it comes to units and equipment, I am taking a fair amount of liberty with time-periods for the sake of making balanced, interesting and unique troop trees. The hobelar probably wouldn't actually have existed at the time this mod is being tentatively set.

Yeah. I have actually renamed them as the Logres, but historically speaking they would be Brits raised under heavy Roman influence, while the Cymru faction are those who remained more independent further to the west. The British (or Logres) faction is a mongrel breed, part Cymru, part Roman, part Germanic - but for the purposes of this mod they are King Arthur's British people, the people of Logres.

Back
Top Bottom