[Bug] Superjumping and warping

Users who are viewing this thread

ScientiaExcelsa

Master Knight
This is a difficult one to explain.

Sometimes, if you jump just right on slopes, you will do a "superjump" that propels you much higher than a normal jump.  In the past, people used this bug to gain access to areas that should have been inaccessible (or to inadvertently commit suicide via falling damage).

In the last few patches, however, superjumping has changed.  It still works sometimes, but more often than not, you will suddenly warp back to the spot you first jumped from.  I'm not sure what changed; perhaps this was implemented on purpose to prevent superjump abuse.

The problem with this is that it's downright dangerous.  It can be accidentally triggered at any time when the player is jumping, especially going on/off of roofs with raised ledges.  For example:

Scenario 1: Village alleys.  Player is under attack from two enemies, and retreats up the staircase in the alley with barrels.  To escape attackers, player jumps over small wall at top of staircase into alley below.  To the player it seems that the jump was successful, but player suddenly starts taking damage while continuing retreat.  Player warps back to "actual" location, top of staircase with enemies, and dies.

Scenario 2: Ruined Fort.  Player is in upper story of ruined building at top of hill.  Player attempts to jump out of window to the courtyard below to ambush enemy troops.  To the player it seems that the jump fails and player falls back into the building.  Suddenly, player is warped to "actual" location, the courtyard, where player is under attack from enemies and soon dies.

So, sometimes you think you've leapt over something but you actually didn't, and sometimes you think you didn't and you did.  This happens very commonly, especially on horseback in areas with many obstacles.  It's either a particularly malicious bug or a particularly inadequate fix for superjumping.

Especially when jumping into the siege tower.

I assume it's a server/client issue. The client thinks you've jumped over the obstacle, but the server doesn't, so you keep going until the server updates your client. At least I think that's what's happening.

It would seem so.  It never happened in early patches, though, so something changed.  It's a pretty serious bug, so it should be fixed.

The problem is probably that client and server do not exchange position data of the player frequently enough.

For example it takes a couple of seconds before the client gets the info from the server
that the player did NOT succeed in jumping over the fence, although the client display a successful jump.
So the poor player gets rubberbanded back, mostly meaning certain death if enemies are around.
Very annoying.

on village, on the side where attackers go up the ladder,previously you would superjump from the ladder over the wall on the left to very swiftly be in the rear of the village.  while that for the most part got removed, if you time it exactly the same as before, it creates a funny incident that is repeatable:

you jump up from the ladder, but miss the ledge and fall down into the gutter.  as soon as you move, you are instantly teleported to the other side about 10 feet away.

Scientia Excelsa said:
It would seem so.  It never happened in early patches, though, so something changed.  It's a pretty serious bug, so it should be fixed.

It actually has been happening in early patches, since at least august.  Look for Arjihad's topic on it.  It is waiting for the new physics engine to fix it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_RQcNt-nvA  His original video of it.

Anyone else get the bug where if you get whacked off a ledge, sometimes you fly across the map and die instantly on impact? That happened to me a number of times a couple patches ago, I don't know if it's still there or not.

It's still there. I shot someone with a bolt the other day while he was on the side ladder in Village. The fellow went flying off and died instantly. We've been unable to recreate it though, it seems to occur randomly.

Night Ninja said:
It's still there. I shot someone with a bolt the other day while he was on the side ladder in Village. The fellow went flying off and died instantly. We've been unable to recreate it though, it seems to occur randomly.

for one thing, they cant be standing still on the ladder,they have to be moving up it for the momentum glitch to occur,and you have to hit them at a certain angle,its tough to simulate

Back
Top Bottom