Bug-Fix List, 1.5+

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh

Grandmaster Knight
OK, going to have to call it a night.

Fixed the following bugs:

1.  Sieges no longer require massive battles over and over again. 

What I've decided to do is:

A.  Battle size is proportional to relative army sizes, adjusted for difficulty setting (i.e., you won't get a lot of troops on Mommy).  This part is done.

B.  If you win vs. massive numbers, you do proportionate casualties.  I.E., you'll fight at great odds, but if you win, the battle's representative of the larger battle; if you go up against 1000+ enemies, you may have to fight 200 vs. 50 in Mommy, but if you win, you'll inflict many times 200 casualties.  How many?  IDK yet, I'm still balancing all that out.  Something on the order of 2-5X, though, so that huge battles aren't a total drag to play out.

C.  I probably won't touch the inner siege battle conditions, i.e., the final battles, simply because that gives both players and the AI a pretty good shot to win as defenders as things stand and I think that's appropriate.

2.  I found and squished a game-locking bug; apparently, if all you have is missile weapons in the tavern brawl, you get stuck forever looping while the code tried futilely to find an appropriate weapon.  Now the bartender just says they're not intervening because you're not going to just kick the guy to death or whatever, which is realistic.  The bar fights are just annoyances past a certain point in the game anyhow; really should find a way to scale them up, have a battle with a Berserkir every once in awhile or something...

That's it for now; a lot of the other bugs reported thus far are fairly small things (I hope) and I'll try and knock them out tomorrow.

Good work! Anyway, I have 3 questions. Do get some rest and take your time in answering please: :smile:

1. Is an Aleph getting brought into the inner battles count as a bug? :lol:
2. Regarding your proportionate casualties proposal, would any deaths on your side means even more "free deaths"?
3. How are the troops actually involved in the battle got selected? Eg: 100 Merc Cannoners, 100 Rhulg Destroyers, etc.
3. How about massive field battles? Would they be "fixed" as well?

Thanks!

1. Is an Aleph getting brought into the inner battles count as a bug?
Definitely.
2. Regarding your proportionate casualties proposal, would any deaths on your side means even more "free deaths"?
It'd be proportionate to both sides, minus any "real" casualties; i.e., if you try and take a castle with 300 troops and the garrison's 1000, you may fight 75 vs. 200, take 50 casualties and lose, and lose about 100-200 soldiers total.  The loser will always "pay" more than the "winner".

How all this works, exactly, is subject to a lot of testing; I don't want the system to be utterly unfair to players who just get unlucky and take a crossbow bolt to the head early on or whose enemies have an Aleph that's having a great day, etc.  Luckily I have the next couple of days off from my job, so this can probably get built.
3. How are the troops actually involved in the battle got selected? Eg: 100 Merc Cannoners, 100 Rhulg Destroyers, etc.
If you don't use the Pre-Battle Deployment system, it's picked semi-randomly, with the top stacks of troops (and Companions) having priority.
4. How about massive field battles? Would they be "fixed" as well?
Yes, probably; people have complained for ages about fighting out 4000 vs. 2000 battles between their kingdom and a pile of enemy Lords and how darn long it takes.  I feel that while I'm here and able to get something done for this mod, I should probably try and fix this issue, since it's one of the main things that dragged on Native as well.  Proportionate casualties is probably the best solution.

On the Persuasion bug report, I think it just wasn't applying to the buying of goods; it was factored into hiring, troop wages and selling prisoners.  Fixed.

Fixed Holy Army dialog bug (I think, at least it tests correctly).

Re-colored Vaegir holdings to be distinct from the Army of Darkness.  Needs a new game to see it.

Need to take a look at the Lord-assigning-bad-number-in-task logic bug.  I am thinking that it's probably related to the rest of the Lord bugs; perhaps player ID issues?

xenoargh said:
Price to hire Marnid increased to 250,000.  Should slow down the run a bit, although in this mod, even that figure is not out of reach  :lol:

NOOO!!!!!!

I am not gonna download the newest patch now XD

That Aleph is such a beast lol

Yeah, but, you're really supposed to have to wait a bit, not get it in the first couple of hours, even in this mod  :lol:

Anyhow, I think I fixed the bandit bug.  Still need to fix the string bugs and see if I can get the proportional-losses code sorted out, then it's time for a patch release.  Please note that the patch will require a restart to address certain issues.

Proportional loss code now works.

Here's how it will work (subject to player balance feedback):

1.  Player wins, player is at minor disadvantage (outnumbered but with superior Tactics):  Enemy takes 30% additional losses per battle.
2.  Player wins, player is at major disadvantage (outnumbered, lower Tactics skill):  Enemy takes 50% losses.
3.  Player loses, player and all allies take 25% losses.

So, on Mommy, that makes the giant battles shrink down to reasonable sizes.  How well this works with siege, I don't know because setting up a full test of the code under every condition will take too long.

xenoargh] TONS OF BUG FIXES [/quote] :shock: You said:
On the Persuasion bug report, I think it just wasn't applying to the buying of goods; it was factored into hiring, troop wages and selling prisoners.  Fixed.

Indeed, I stand corrected. It also work as Party skill just fine.

xenoargh said:
Proportional loss code now works.

Here's how it will work (subject to player balance feedback):

1.  Player wins, player is at minor disadvantage (outnumbered but with superior Tactics):  Enemy takes 30% additional losses per battle.
2.  Player wins, player is at major disadvantage (outnumbered, lower Tactics skill):  Enemy takes 50% losses.
3.  Player loses, player and all allies take 25% losses.

So, on Mommy, that makes the giant battles shrink down to reasonable sizes.  How well this works with siege, I don't know because setting up a full test of the code under every condition will take too long.

I love this! I hate dragging battles, I really do. Especially with the current situation of nerfed cannons/grenades/explosions/etc.

Though with the above though, what happens if the player retreats? Counts as a loss?

New possible bug/feature: Crits don't work on Alephs. Intended? All my hits do 5 damage, even with 10 Combat Training.

Much thanks, again!

New possible bug/feature: Crits don't work on Alephs. Intended? All my hits do 5 damage, even with 10 Combat Training.
Feature-ish; they're also completely immune to certain types of missile fire.  Is it balanced and fair?  IDK.

xenoargh said:
Feature-ish; they're also completely immune to certain types of missile fire.  Is it balanced and fair?  IDK.

What certain types of missile fire? Anyway they go down just fine if swarmed, so I guess they are balanced-ish.

Arrows and bolts, bolas and, IIRC, thrown stuff.  Just didn't make sense that you could do any serious damage to that thing with a bow and arrow.  IIRC grenades and cannons do good damage, and if I ever get off my lazy butt and finish the Turkish flamethrower, it was meant to be a close-in Aleph-killer.

1.  I think I've fixed the "I wish to make peace" bugs.
2.  Fixed serious bug with rescuing Lords who were captured; can now do the peaceful option. 

Am still seeing some serious problems with the violence options some other issues, such as Alephs showing up as friendlies, amongst other things, which need to be resolved.

3.  Finished fixing the string errors in battle commands.

Hunting down the "player-spawns-as-Aleph-on-wrong-side" bug now.

Good news:  the Aleph-spawning-as-wrong-side bug is fixed.

Bad news:  Players will need to start a new game.

I guess if I'm going to force a restart on people, I might as well finish the flamethrower, eh?

xenoargh said:
Good news:  the Aleph-spawning-as-wrong-side bug is fixed.

Bad news:  Players will need to start a new game.

I guess if I'm going to force a restart on people, I might as well finish the flamethrower, eh?

Did you say...

Flamethrower?

OMFGBBQSAUCEWHAT?!!?!!

I love you

Back
Top Bottom