Blockable Couched lance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tarrak

Sergeant
I was surprised in a battle with some troublesome bandits...

The battle wasgoing well enough and I was riding around on a wide plain lancing bandits reight and left.
Suddenly a mounted bandit appeared, and knowing mt men were mainly militia I targeted him. After a short chase he turned left, presenting his shield to me. I came right at him, perfectly aiming my Great Lance, my regular Hunter doing a good top speed.

But the impact didn't have the usual cutting sound, instead it had that *bonk* when you hit a shield. Also the screen showed that I had hit with a Couched Lance, but no damage appeared, just as it wouldn't if it had been another weapon striking a shield.

The bandit just rode on eventually falling to Marnid. But this was some surprise, a blocked couched lance attack. I wonder if this is a feature or a small bug.

So have anybody else experienced this?

I've seen that too. I've also seen it done to me when I had my shield raised. I think this is the way it was intended?

You don't even need a shield to block a couched lance!

The other day when I was playing, I had a horsie-pile-up :razz: in the middle of the battlefield, which I managed to get stuck in. I then took a look to my right to see a bandit charging at me with a couched spear ... And there was no way I could get out of the way in time, and I didn't have a shield, either :shock:

So, I looked straight at him and held the rmb to try and block his couched spear with my sword of war ... not expecting it to work at all! lol

But it did! His spear came straight for me, and I just pushed it away with my sword, as though he had just thrust his spear at me normally!

I was always under the assumption that the couched lance was unblockable, either with a shield or without. Since what version were you able to block the couched lance?

Yeah me too... I haven't even attempted to block the charge rather tried to evade. Now it seems a good idea to at least try.

But I wonder how much damage the shield took, it must have been crumbling after that strike as I was dealing out damage just below 200.

Yeah, i've heard the old rumor that couched lances can only be blocked with a shield, but its not true. I've blocked them with 1handers many a time. Probably needs to be fixed. Although it should do massive damage to shields, probably breaking arena shields in a single hit most of the time.

@Qwertyest: LMAO

IMHO, if a wooden shield takes a couched lance hit, it should disintigrate. Out of curiousity, how does shield hp work? If someone hits your shield for what would normally hit you for 50, does the shield reduce by 50 (not considering modifiers from the shield skill)

0.703 had a bug that gave 0 damage to some couch lance attacks.

irl, the KE of the horse, focused on the point of the spear, made blocking really useless. :smile:

But limited by the lance wileder's resiliency as the lance isn't an built-in with the horse. This means the transfer isn't perfect - though consdierign what's transfered even a partial tranfer hurts a lot..

I do it all the time. "Uh oh. Enemy lancer approaching..." I raise my shield and *WHAM*! It knocks me to the ground if i'm infantry, and just does a number to my shield if i'm cavalry.

Back
Top Bottom