Block & Attacking - Hold the Button Mouse Always???

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey all,

I am just starting the game, is there a way to change how block/attack works with a mod, or in the config files.

I like using the mouse vs the movement keys for the block/attack directions This question is mainly for block, but it would improve attacking too. Basically, I want to be able to press and hold the mouse button for block, and move my mouse to change shield/weapon position for block, without re-pressing it every time I want a new block position. Unless I am doing something wrong, right now it seems I have to take my finger off the mouse button, if I want to reset my block...left, right, high low etc. Is there a way to change this, so I can keep holding the mouse button while positioning the shield/weapon? Seems like this is an odd mechanic...unless I am doing something wrong...

Thanks.

Unless I'm mistaken, holding right mouse button while looking around changes the direction your shield is facing, no need to release RMB. Blocking with weapons seems different, I have to let go of RMB to block in a different direction

Nope. You give it direction with the first movement, then the mouse is in charge of moving the camera. just as you ask it would be easier to block, but more difficult to follow an opponent who moves, instead of facing him, you would only change the position of the block, the sight would be disabled.

You can move a shield up and down yes, but it will still be blocking either up, down, left or right. Since it's a shield though, you can block in any direction you want without getting hit frontally by a melee weapon.

I don't believe there's a way to do this but I also don't see why you'd want to... block direction changes with the slightest camera movement in a given direction, you would have to keep your camera perfectly still or constantly moving in the direction you wanted to block, completely unable to look around while blocking without switching direction.

This question is mainly for block, but it would improve attacking too. Basically, I want to be able to press and hold the mouse button for block, and move my mouse to change shield/weapon position for block, without re-pressing it every time I want a new block position.
I second this it makes more sense to be able to load a strike or block and re position the strike or block angle then having to go to an unguarded position to then readjust the position of the block or strike.

I know while I'm holding down RMB if I look around the shield moves with my mouse movement.

Sorry, but this is absolutely wrong.

Once you pick a block direction, moving the mouse does NOT change your actual block direction unless you release the RMB first, THEN move the mouse, and block again. Your shield or weapon moves with the camera rotation ONLY because it changes your character's facing. However if you Block Left, then move the camera to the right, you're STILL in "block left" position.

It simply doesn't matter with shields, since regardless of block direction you'll still more likely than not block a frontal attack simply by having the shield. However it's VERY obvious with 2H weapons that your block direction doesn't change.

I second this it makes more sense to be able to load a strike or block and re position the strike or block angle then having to go to an unguarded position to then readjust the position of the block or strike.
Yup, I train and fight in longsword...blocking with one in this game very, very awkward. The sword should move with my mouse as I hold the button, as if I was simply changing longsword guards like in real life.

After a few more hours in the game, I have gotten better, but the mechanics, to me, requires an option to attach, at least block, to my mouse movement. I think one of the problems I have is I fight with longsword in RL...and I keep trying to move to block in a guard like I would in RL, which requires me to not take my finger of my mouse and not reset my weapon.

I really think this game has some of the better fighting I have experienced, but with a few more customization options, like what I am talking about, could make the combat in this game awesome.

I fight with longsword in RL...and I keep trying to move to block in a guard like I would in RL

How long you been studying? I'm in ARMA St. Louis, and have been studying longsword for about 15 years now.

Incidentally, there's almost nothing about the fighting system in this game that's anything like how I would fight IRL. For one, I'm not finding it practical (if even possible) to counter/defend an attack by attacking myself, as I would with a Zornhau or Zwerchau. Indes is pretty much not a thing, and the guards simply don't work the way they should.

However I had some ideas on how it could be made to happen in the second half of the post here, if you're interested. The follow-up post offers another refinement.

How long you been studying? I'm in ARMA St. Louis, and have been studying longsword for about 15 years now.

Incidentally, there's almost nothing about the fighting system in this game that's anything like how I would fight IRL. For one, I'm not finding it practical (if even possible) to counter/defend an attack by attacking myself, as I would with a Zornhau or Zwerchau. Indes is pretty much not a thing, and the guards simply don't work the way they should.

However I had some ideas on how it could be made to happen in the second half of the post here, if you're interested. The follow-up post offers another refinement.
Years now, but 5 years very seriously for ranks & HEMA tournaments in Vancouver. You comments above are what I am thinking too, but what I am saying here is, if I can hold block, and move my mouse while in block, and my block changes with my viewing angle, it would be much more intuitive...at least for me. It would be "sort of", and I stress "sort of" like changing guards. Having an advanced mechanic that changes into actual guards would be nice, but prob not a realistic requests for a game like this.

Just wanted to pop in to mention the system is made so when blocking you can still move around and change position whilst blocking. If you had the block follow your mouse it would be hard to aim and change block direction at the same time. It would be even worse if your camera didn't move, as someone could just walk around you and you can't turn without releasing block.

Also it's very similar to M&B warbands system and is supposed to be as is at its core. I can see mods mabye changing it for single player but I can't see the devs adding it in. At least not any time soon.

Just wanted to pop in to mention the system is made so when blocking you can still move around and change position whilst blocking. If you had the block follow your mouse it would be hard to aim and change block direction at the same time. It would be even worse if your camera didn't move, as someone could just walk around you and you can't turn without releasing block.

Also it's very similar to M&B warbands system and is supposed to be as is at its core. I can see mods maybe changing it for single player but I can't see the devs adding it in. At least not any time soon.

I doubt they will change anything either, but I am hoping for single player it can be modded.

I can do the same movements you say I cannot, while holding the button, I can move and aim just fine, the only thing that would need to change is the character will move the weapon/shield with my movements, rather than me having to release the button. I am watching others play in streams...they too are always re-positioning block and attack as they move, so therefore there is no need to release a button. Having to reset a shield, or weapon position is a bad mechanic imo.

I can only ask in the end :smile:.

Actually you made me think of something else. It could be the devs did it on purpose to punish a player for blocking incorrectly. Probably mostly for multiplayer. But like many other fight mechanics there most likely go for the over all best (SP and MP) and the rest can be moded. M&B has such a large modding community if enough people want it you'll get it.

So just wait and Hope!

UPDATE:

I am using the linked mod - it is excellent. It has options, so you can tailor make the blocking to suit you, or keep it vanilla. It can be auto always, or you can do what I was talking about, and attach it to mouse movements while holding the button. The maker even made sensitivity sliders...block is much more intuitive now.

I am slowly tweaking the sliders, and I have it almost perfectly synced with my mouse angles/view.

This needs to be put in the full game imo.

Unless I'm mistaken, holding right mouse button while looking around changes the direction your shield is facing, no need to release RMB. Blocking with weapons seems different, I have to let go of RMB to block in a different direction
You can only move the shield up and down with holding your mouse, if you want to move it to the sides you have to release and click again

Hey all,

I am just starting the game, is there a way to change how block/attack works with a mod, or in the config files.

I like using the mouse vs the movement keys for the block/attack directions This question is mainly for block, but it would improve attacking too. Basically, I want to be able to press and hold the mouse button for block, and move my mouse to change shield/weapon position for block, without re-pressing it every time I want a new block position. Unless I am doing something wrong, right now it seems I have to take my finger off the mouse button, if I want to reset my block...left, right, high low etc. Is there a way to change this, so I can keep holding the mouse button while positioning the shield/weapon? Seems like this is an odd mechanic...unless I am doing something wrong...

Thanks.
This might seem nice in theory but it has a few problems espescially if your enemy is actulay moving and not just standing still or walking directly towards you like the AI likes to do

In order to hold a block in a direction you either have to keep moving your mouse in the direction witch will make you loose your target or keep your mouse compleetly still witch is impossible. It is much better to move your mouse to block and then focus on the enemy for when its your turn to attack.

This might seem nice in theory but it has a few problems espescially if your enemy is actulay moving and not just standing still or walking directly towards you like the AI likes to do

In order to hold a block in a direction you either have to keep moving your mouse in the direction witch will make you loose your target or keep your mouse compleetly still witch is impossible. It is much better to move your mouse to block and then focus on the enemy for when its your turn to attack.
You may want to read the later posts in the thread. A mod has done exactly what I needed. It is not impossible...it works perfectly. Loving fighting now.

Back
Top Bottom