Best Nation/Army?

Users who are viewing this thread

I just know that the swadians ALWAYS get pwnd in SP (unless maybe you re playing with them yourself)

For MP (and competetive play), it mostly depends on the map. Sarranids seem to have a disadvantage in more situations than the others, while rhodoks and vaegirs seem to be the factions that can adapt the easiest to different situations and one could therefore argue that in general competetive play they are usually the best choice to play with.

My personal view on the factions in multiplayer

Sarranids, very good in the open due to the fantastic mobility they can carry, however, this doesn't rule them out of being strong opponents in urban maps. However, once caught against stronger infantry such as Nord's or Rhodoks, it is potentially a challenge for them if they are not backed up by archers.

Swadians, same with the Sarranids, very effective in the open because of the fantastic strength of their cavalry and you can say decent infantry as well. With all this melee power, they lack ranged power, their crossbowmen lack agility and killing power in melee along with a slow reload of the crossbow.

Rhodoks, good and stable all round, given their huge shields and togetherness backed up by xbows, they are potentially an unstoppable force, however, they lack the mobility in open maps, which could leave them vulnerable.

Vaegirs, a strong "hit and run" faction I would like to call them. The pin point accuracy of the archers are what makes vaegirs so effective at what they do, pin off enemies at a distance. They consist of decent cavalry which will rise to any challenge when needed and infantry which are capable of holding their ground.

Nords, unmistakably the "best" infantry units in the game in terms of killing power against most units. They are very agile on foot and those who thought of running from Nords on foot, are better off finishing the fight, as sooner or later, they'd catch you. However, they do lack cavalry mobility (Infact the worse cavalry in MP) but make up this ground with ranged coverage with their average archers.

Khergits, some say they are over powered in some respects, I tend to disagree because the Khergits have so many disadvantages against other factions. They are the most mobile faction there is, with annoyingly good horse archers and lancers as shock cavalry to finish opponents off. However, they lack decent shield skill, killing power once on foot, less health and most possibly they lack agility once dismounted. Though strong when together, they are weak once they are outnumbered.

For public play on open maps, my vote is on sarranids. They have a very good ranged unit, and great cavalry.

..and since this is in opposition to what Morii said, I don't dare guess for competitive play.  :mrgreen:

Stuboi0 said:
Nords, unmistakably the "best" infantry units in the game in terms of killing power against most units. They are very agile on foot and those who thought of running from Nords on foot, are better off finishing the fight, as sooner or later, they'd catch you. However, they do lack cavalry mobility (Infact the worse cavalry in MP) but make up this ground with ranged coverage with their average archers.

Actually, Nord infantry have the same athletics and agility as all the other infantry. They do, however, have the most Power Strike, Power Throw, two-handed weapon proficiency, and throwing proficiency. Also Nord cavalry is the fastest in the game alongside the Khergits, as they both have one more Riding than everyone else. If I remember correctly, Nord cavalry is also the only unit in the game that get javelins for free.

Here's my opinion of the multiplayer factions, in regards to Battle mode:

Swadians: An average faction. Man-at-Arms have the great lance and superior stats, including the best one-handed proficiency score. The great lance makes the Man-at-Arms almost unbeatable to other cavalry, if they know what they're doing. Swadian infantry is good, with potent but expensive two-handed swords and pikes. They also have affordable metal armor. Buying all of these things at once is another matter, but if they get the money... They also have only slightly less two-handed proficiency than the Nord Huscarl. Swadian crossbowmen, while identical to Rhodok crossbowmen as far as ranged is concerned, have inferior offensive melee capabilities, however their superior shield skill and short swords make them a defensively superior unit. Of course, a good offense is often called the best defense.

Rhodoks: An average faction. They have the worst cavalry in the game, hands down. Rhodok horsemen have the worst stats in the game, including one less riding that everyone else, and they bear essentially no redeeming features. Rhodok infantry make up for their poor cavalry, with their powerful (and slow) cleavers, huge (and slow) shields, giant (slow) pikes, and block-crushing  hammers (also slow). Their infantry are well rounded and have the highest polearm proficiency in the game, they also have the highest shield skill in the game (tied with the Swadian crossbowman). Rhodok crossbowman have better melee capabilities than the Swadian crossbowman. Their low shield skill is generally made up for HP wise by their board shields, but slow shields and low shield skill don't mix well in a sword and board fight. Fortunately they have two-handed weapons.

Vaegirs: A powerful faction. Vaegir cavalry is average in all ways, though their scimitars make good cavalry swords. It should be noted that Vaegir Horsemen have no athletics, meaning that they can quickly become overwhelmed after becoming just plain men. Vaegir infantry are well rounded and offensively powerful, with their speedy spamitars and powerful bardiches. They also have affordable metal armor like the Swadians. Like the Sarranids (who are complete copies of their stats) they have poor shield skill and fairly weak shields, so their defensive capabilities suffer. Fortunately for the Vaegirs, their shields are not the ones that have to hold up under warbow fire. Vaegir archers are where the Vaegirs true power lies. They have the highest Power Draw in the game along with the warbow, which I believe is the best bow in the game. The warbow is superior to the longbow in every way, and eats man and horse alike for breakfast damage wise. Vaegir archers also have good affordable armor available to them.

Khergits: A powerful faction, nigh-on invincible if the map favors them. Khergit cavalry shares the highest Riding score with the Nords, and have some nice maneuverable horses available to them, as well as nice cavalry polearms. Khergit Lancers have only one less athletics than the infantry units, so they do make fairly good foot troops when they need to. Khergit horse archers, horse + bow, 'nuff said. Seriously though, these guys are a nightmare out in the open. Although if they get dismounted they're really no better than any other archer, they can get +3 arrows, though.

Nords: An above average faction. Nord Scouts have free javelins, good speed, and good Power Throw, making them the best Jav-Cav. They can't get heavy lances though, so care must be taken when lancing with other lancers who can. Nord Huscarls are the heavy infantry of Warbands. They have axes big, small, and tossable. They also have strong shields. As I mentioned before, they have the most Power Strike, Power Throw, two-handed weapon proficiency, and throwing weapon proficiency. Combined with their powerful weaponry, these guys are arguably the most powerful meleers in the game. Although their two-handed weapons aren't as fast as those of the Swadians, and their one-handed weapons aren't as well rounded and fast as those of the Vaegirs. Huscarls also have poor spear selection, lacking anything longer than a warspear, thus they generally have to rely on their throwing weapons to down horses. Nord archers are pretty good. They have the incredibly cheap longbow available to them, and while it's no warbow, it's pretty much the closest thing. Nord archers can also get +3 arrows, giving their longbows decent damage. Nord archers also have the best melee capabilities as far as archers go.

Sarranids: A rather weak faction. Sarranid Mamlukes are unique, and pretty decent. Their impressive maneuverability makes them the only lancers with a good chance against the Swadian great lance, enabling them to dodge the lance, and then move in before the Swadian can begin their next thrust, although this is rather difficult if the Swadian knows what he is doing too. Their cavalry swords also work rather well with their maneuverability, though their slower horses give infantry more time to react and potentially pull out a pike. Sarranid cavalry, like Vaegir cavalry, has 0 athletics. Sarranid infantry are rather weak. They have a good variety of armors which are generally quite light, that however, seems to be the only thing they are truly good at. They lack any balanced two-handed weapons, or polearms which can deal decent damage. They also have poor two-handed weapon proficiency and shield skill. The only truly unique weapon that they possess is the bamboo spear, which may be good at temporarily stopping unarmored horses and spamming, but the damage it deals is really quite pitiful, making it poor for group combat. Sarranid archers are rather weak. Their most powerful bow is the nomad bow, the weakest bow for the Vaegirs. They have the weaker ranged stats of the Nords and the weaker melee stats of the Vaegirs. The only thing they have over the other archers is their one more point of athletics.

Over all I'd say the Vaegirs are the most powerful multiplayer faction unless you're playing on a random map, where Khergits are probably going to be better.

I know everyone probably hates this but I always love playing Sarranid and getting a large army of Mamlukes. Defensive war is so easy, flat sand maps where you can just steam roll enemies with mass cavalry.

King Ragnarok said:
Winterz said:
Best Nation - Vaegirs
Best Army - Swadia
Definetly not, swadia gets destroyed in pretty much everything, there in the center of the map and surrounded with potential enemies.

That's why they have the best army, not the best nation.

Swadians have the good Horseman that I prefer but, when I play as them they are always defecting to other nations.

why does Swadia always get quashed?

As for khergits, I love them, I really do, but put them in a siege situation or against a mountain and they will be massacred.

In competitive MP, it is almost always Rhodok vs. Vaegir in my experience (assuming Khergits are banned).

Vaegir is almost always the first choice, and then the sensible response to that is Rhodok.

Personally I think Sarranids are underrated - fantastic horsemen, the 1h axe is amazing, and their archers are among the best (assuming you use the cheapest bow, which I would hesitantly say most good archers do).
Unfortunately they are rarely played because they are not a good counter to vaegirs - scimitar > axe, vaegir archers marginally better (better armour), and very few horsemen in most clan matches.

Swadia is the weakest choice. Massed horsemen are generally useless, because it's too easy for an organised team to counter that.
2h weapons are useless in clan matches because the bows actually work together with the infantry.

flatland, steppes > khergits are the best.
hills > rhodoks are useful.
siege battles > nords are powerful.
vaegir and swadians are balanced nations.
depending on where the fighting.

but as for me, i like to play with khergits, steppe people with fast, powerful horse archer/lancer army. its reminds me seljuks, mongols etc.

I say rhodocks. . . because in my game, they owned swadia. swadia has NO land or feifs and only have like 7 lords left, most have weak or even no troops. swadia is bad because they are too balanced. of course swadian knights are good, because they are the last upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom