Battle terrain maps not randomized??

Users who are viewing this thread

One thing I love about most mods and base game is the randomized terrain maps; the terrain appears to be randomly generated for each battle, so you get to work on quickly reading the terrain and exploiting it as best you can based on your forces and the enemy.  In this mod it seems there are a small number of terrain sets that are repeated over and over rather than newly generated for each battle; I am only 60 days in and can't take it any more.  I guess it is because of the cannons?  You need to ensure terrain where they can be placed intelligently with good line of sight rather than in the water or pointed at a tree?  The terrain is either a gentle open rolling hill (perfect for cavalry and inescapable) or a thick wood where the cannons spawn between two groups of trees.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Doesn't it drive you crazy?  I can live with other flaws (well, the OP cavalry is a bit much, but I understand why that is happening at least), but sadly I think I need to take a break from this mod due to the repetition of fighting on the same ground over and over.

StevieLee7132 said:
One thing I love about most mods and base game is the randomized terrain maps; the terrain appears to be randomly generated for each battle, so you get to work on quickly reading the terrain and exploiting it as best you can based on your forces and the enemy.  In this mod it seems there are a small number of terrain sets that are repeated over and over rather than newly generated for each battle; I am only 60 days in and can't take it any more.  I guess it is because of the cannons?  You need to ensure terrain where they can be placed intelligently with good line of sight rather than in the water or pointed at a tree?  The terrain is either a gentle open rolling hill (perfect for cavalry and inescapable) or a thick wood where the cannons spawn between two groups of trees.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Doesn't it drive you crazy?  I can live with other flaws (well, the OP cavalry is a bit much, but I understand why that is happening at least), but sadly I think I need to take a break from this mod due to the repetition of fighting on the same ground over and over.

Random maps wouldnt work I guess. Take a look at "Calradia Imperial age" Where you will be standin in impobiile to fight in areas becouse of the random generation.

I have build my own mods with randomly generated terrain; as long as you don't do anything extreme with respect to height and water you shouldn't have any problems with the spawn points.  Most mods and the base game use the generator-- once in a blue moon you may spawn to an inconvenient place, but that is fine.  I want to be a better commander, and fighting on the same terrain is like being in the Army and fighting at one of our pre-built urban terrain "villages", once you've done it twice you know all the avenues of approach, all the good cover, good ambush points, and all the "tricks".  The point is to learn to spot these things the first time through on a fresh set of terrain, and I feel the random terrain is is a great tool to develop that intuition and practice good tactics.  Just my experience, but I feel this takes away an important element of the game.

I am working on a mod myself, but I am using costum Maps only. The problem with L'aigle is that there is only a single fair battle map for big battles.

Docm30 said:
The random maps in Mount & Blade are horrible.

Exactly. Also, these kinds of battles took and should take place in open fields. The battle maps generator doesn't really care about this and can get you to the top of a hill, while on a map you're standing in the middle of a green field.

Back
Top Bottom