Baldur's Gate 3 (from page 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Honestly, if it stays true to the original's gameplay and is even just the exact same story and mechanics, but in 3d, I'll probably buy it and enjoy it provided it looks decent.  I love the graphical style of the original bg2, don't get me wrong, but nevertheless I think that 3d would be badass.

McBeverage said:
Honestly, if it stays true to the original's gameplay and is even just the exact same story and mechanics, but in 3d, I'll probably buy it and enjoy it provided it looks decent.  I love the graphical style of the original bg2, don't get me wrong, but nevertheless I think that 3d would be badass.
Thankfully they are NOT going 3D!

http://gamebanshee.com/news/107296-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-announced.html

Sounds great :grin:

There is absolutely no need for a remake. Thanks to modders, the Infinity Engine games work with Windows 7 64-bit, you can play them in high-resolution and even the GUI is redrawn for high resolutions. Bugs have been fixed, typos corrected and a insane ton of new content (most of it crap but there you go) added. Baldur's Gate Trilogy already allows you to play through both games and expansions as if they were a single game.

So why are these guys doing it then? Firstly, Atari only has the rights to the Baldur's Gate game and name, not to D&D or Forgotten Realms in general. Thus the only way to make money from this old IP is to sell it through GoG.com but their prices are so low that the profit margin is tiny. Enter Beamdog and their "HD"-"remake", and vóila: they can sell a 10-year old game as a new one. Atari gets almost free money, Beamdog gets to pimp out their ****ty digital distribution service with equally anal-rape-style DRM, all because a bunch of people will feel nostalgic but don't know how to use Google. Though they already gave in and promised that it will be sold through Steam as well.

If they really wanted to make a service to gamers, they would remake the Black Box D&D games. Those never received any love from modders and are impossible to run nowadays without fiddling with DosBox. Menzoberranzan and both Dark Suns would definitely benefit from bug-fixing too.

The character sprites look pretty of bad on high resolutions to be honest, but I won't be buying this or anything else off Beamdog's store (which I've never even heard of before).

What do you mean? They will just probably be smaller, unless they remake all the graphics to a higher resolution. It's not a problem IMO, since the characters in BG1 especially were huge on the screen (due to low resolution). I'm not really against this (I can just ignore it if I want). Would be amazing if they could add a lot more depth to the characters and add more interaction.

Sir Prince said:
The character sprites look pretty of bad on high resolutions to be honest,
They look exactly the same, no matter what the resolution is, unless you mean that you prefer them large.

Ambalon said:
I'd just like a better interface and controls. D:
SCS adds a very versatile script that is usable by all classes and that can be controlled through few keyboard shortcuts. Couple that with auto-pause after spellcasting and I don't really have any problems on the controls. What's the problem with the GUI? Not trying to be a *****, genuinely curious since I'm so used to it after all these years that I'm likely blind to any shortcomings in it.

Jhessail said:
Sir Prince said:
The character sprites look pretty of bad on high resolutions to be honest,
They look exactly the same, no matter what the resolution is, unless you mean that you prefer them large.
The character sprites look bad at any resolution then. I don't mind the rest of the graphics (and really like the art style) but the character sprites look pretty bad these days.

Jhessail said:
What's the problem with the GUI? Not trying to be a *****, genuinely curious since I'm so used to it after all these years that I'm likely blind to any
shortcomings in it.
It's more its aesthetics that bother me. It's too big and messy, stuff covers too large a portion of the screen. But meh, opinions and all that.
Also, no WASD makes Amby sad.

I think they should also add more "interesting" difficulty to it. Not necessarily just multiplied damage, but better AI and such. Though I would like that there'd be a difficulty options adding more enemies and making them greater level.

Back
Top Bottom