In Progress Attacks Going Through Block Immediately After Incorrect Block (Video)

Users who are viewing this thread

rektasaurus

Squire
Is this a known issue or can others replicate? Happened to me last night and the first time I got a nice clear shot of attacks going through my block. The dude hitting me said I had the incorrect block loaded on his screen but it was clearly correct on mine.

Last edited:
Did you hold block from beginning to the end of the video or did you release block when you got hit? I've experienced same issue, but never figured out what was going on.

I didn’t let go of block after the first time I changed direction from right to left. I think this may be the culprit since I was hit while changing direction. But I’ve also experienced it on the first click to the correct direction before getting hit.

There is a similar client-side visual bug but for attacking, where I see myself holding a swing but upon release it comes out as a different one. I wonder if the process to replicate is the same.

Here are the inputs for the first example on the video below:
  • Block left
  • Look to right and hold attack, you can't tell visually because block overrides attack
  • As I let go of block I look up and over slightly
  • Since I never let go of left click it shows an overhead hold when I release block
  • Upon release the swing comes from the right

On someone else's screen it shows me holding the same direction that is released.

I think since you never let go of right click you were always holding the same block, but visually saw the wrong one because when you look left after the stagger-from-hit animation plays the game puts up a left block animation.

Wow interesting. Yes. I couldn’t easily replicate your issue but I can see it clearly in the video.

I think you’re right that they may be related. There is something about the precedence of commands in both of our issues that is causing the server to drop inputs that are being loaded on the client-side.

I wonder if this may also be related to the other visual bugs like the invisible kick slash as well as the issue with queuing up chained attacks or clicking kick slash too quickly, or if these are all issues caused by separate things like command precedence and timing delay.

This is highly replicate-able. I have to keep in mind that I need to reclick if I get hit while loading block direction. Now I’m wondering, if incorrect block is loaded on server compared to my client, is variable block delay applied the second time I load block direction even if I see nothing of the sort on my screen? Can someone who knows about this please weigh in?

this basically perfectly explained why sometimes I feel I'm blocking correctly but still got attacked, also I don't think you can "crush through" at a close range like this.

I got crushed through in campaign by some lord, but I think that's because he has way higher stats. It shouldn't happen in this situation as shown in the video.

this basically perfectly explained why sometimes I feel I'm blocking correctly but still got attacked, also I don't think you can "crush through" at a close range like this.

I got crushed through in campaign by some lord, but I think that's because he has way higher stats. It shouldn't happen in this situation as shown in the video.

The videos above are issues only applicable in mp and not sp. If you are blocking correctly in sp but still getting hit then you must be outside the correct angle of rotation. I don’t think crush through works, maybe it does in sp when there is a big skill gap, I don’t remember if that’s a thing or not, but crush through is definitely not a thing in mp since all skill levels are basically the same.

The videos above are issues only applicable in mp and not sp. If you are blocking correctly in sp but still getting hit then you must be outside the correct angle of rotation. I don’t think crush through works, maybe it does in sp when there is a big skill gap, I don’t remember if that’s a thing or not, but crushthrough is definitely not a thing in mp since all skill levels are basically the same.
Crush through does work in MP, it happens a lot in horse joust, if the speed is high enough the thrust attack is unblockable. You will hear the sound of blocking, though you still get hit by thrust. I've only seen thrust attack through tho, haven't seen other directional crush through.

I agree with you on getting hit due to I'm not angling myself correctly, what I was trying to say is what happened in the videos also happened to me in the game(MP). I mentioned campaign just cuz I all of a sudden thought about that, that is, I got crushed through by a random lord in the tourney dueling him at a close range, that was impressive since I thought crush through only works when one has enough momentum, also I was holding a shield, he still somehow managed to crush through my block.

Ah, I see. Wait, does thrust attack with high speed bonus list “crush through” in the chat box? Or are you talking about a couched attack?

Crush through does work in MP, it happens a lot in horse joust, if the speed is high enough the thrust attack is unblockable.

I agree with you on getting hit due to I'm not angling myself correctly, what I was trying to say is what happened in the videos also happened to me in the game(MP). I mentioned campaign just cuz I all of a sudden thought about that.
Ah, I see. Wait, does thrust attack with high speed bonus list “crush through” in the chat box? Or are you talking about a couched attack?
No, I meant specifically manual thrust attack(either overhead or regular ones), not couching.
As for the text indication, it does not show damage details in my MP game somehow, like it doesn't show which part you hit, it only shows the damage itself.
I've been crushed through multiple times in MP(on horseback), so I'm pretty sure of this.

No, I meant specifically manual thrust attack(either overhead or regular ones), not couching.
As for the text indication, it does not show damage details in my MP game somehow, like it doesn't show which part you hit, it only shows the damage itself.
I've been crushed through multiple times in MP(on horseback), so I'm pretty sure of this.

I would check your game settings and make sure everything is turned on for displaying damage information. It could be you are getting hit in the leg. Afaik crush through isn’t a thing in mp but I could be really wrong about this. I’m interested to know if this is a thing.

I would check your game settings and make sure everything is turned on for displaying damage information. It could be you are getting hit in the leg. Afaik crush through isn’t a thing in mp but I could be really wrong about this. I’m interested to know if this is a thing.
Man, I can guarantee you it happens. It's definitely not hitting my legs. Since most of the crush through I got is overhead thrust attack which is super far away from hitting my leg, in fact usually its the head that got hit, as I mentioned above, you hear the sound effect of blocking alright, and then you take the hit and die....
It's so impressive because I always think I can block those thrust attacks, but it turned out I couldn't, now if I don't have a long enough weapon or a shield, I don't risk fighting against enemies with long spears riding a horse.
FYI, I have like 19-ish ping so I don't think its cuz of lag.

Man, I can guarantee you it happens. It's definitely not hitting my legs. Since most of the crush through I got is overhead thrust attack which is super far away from hitting my leg, in fact usually its the head that got hit, as I mentioned above, you hear the sound effect of blocking alright, and then you take the hit and die....
It's so impressive because I always think I can block those thrust attacks, but it turned out I couldn't, now if I don't have a long enough weapon or a shield, I don't risk fighting against enemies with long spears riding a horse.
FYI, I have like 19-ish ping so I don't think its cuz of lag.
Huh, interesting. Idk how to help with that but I’ll keep an eye out for it thanks for sharing. Can you try to post a video of it happening?

Huh, interesting. Idk how to help with that but I’ll keep an eye out for it thanks for sharing. Can you try to post a video of it happening?
Sure, there is one way to replicate this. Play with one of your friends in TDM and both pick cav, you can try to block your friend's thrust when you go against each other and you'll see how it is.

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with crush through. This is most likely a client side issue.
Crush through is a thing in mp but only saw it happening when someone hits with a melee weapon in full speed on a horse but it's really random.

Last edited:
There is a similar client-side visual bug but for attacking, where I see myself holding a swing but upon release it comes out as a different one. I wonder if the process to replicate is the same.

Here are the inputs for the first example on the video below:
  • Block left
  • Look to right and hold attack, you can't tell visually because block overrides attack
  • As I let go of block I look up and over slightly
  • Since I never let go of left click it shows an overhead hold when I release block
  • Upon release the swing comes from the right

On someone else's screen it shows me holding the same direction that is released.

I think since you never let go of right click you were always holding the same block, but visually saw the wrong one because when you look left after the stagger-from-hit animation plays the game puts up a left block animation.

Crazy, this bug happened in Warband too, some people exploited this and made me see absurd movements ingame (others saw a broken swing animation or leftswing starting by rightern side). I guess they have the same issue here, maybe they copied and pasted the code :smile:

Back
Top Bottom