Attack while blocking

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't remember whether it's a thing in Bannerlord or not, since I haven't touched that game in a while, but I know for a fact that shields in Warband absolutely do block projectiles passively. It's only incoming melee attacks that don't get blocked passively, which makes me think that it was made that way intentionally by the devs.
They don't block all the damage but does reduce damage in bannerlord, at least when the shield is on your back.

More CPU calculations because of more blocking?!
But I´m happy to be wrong :smile:
Yes and no.
No, because calculations are already being done for projectiles arrows etc.
Yes it is more calculations. Worst thing is if you have 500vs500 and each unit takes a swing. You would have to do a check for each melee swing of said unit. That's a lot of calculations. Ofc they can come up with some skinny code to make those calculations less stressful, but it's still a lot. How it could be done is:
if hitPart = leftarm then hitShield().
This would add only 1 check and only to arm hit, but would totally ignore the shield and only increase arm armor.

However in RBM we can see that shields are passively blocking melee swings. If you equip shield on your back (don't draw it) then it blocks swings from behind. Just as you want it to. Now imagine we change placement of said shield to rest on your left hand instead of on back. This would make the shield block passively both melee and ranged (and I didn't notice any major problems in RBM fps). So problem here would be the units using both parry and passive blocking, but hey. Who knows how it would go. Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all? To experiment it, you can add an archer shield to an infantry unit and then remove their original shield.

We have a new one here. OP has joined the elite group here on the forum.

This is actually child's play. I'm a man that gives credit where its due. However, others are not the same. So why bother to share insight. I'll just leave the comment here to itch people's curiosity. Hopefully, they'll find the way. Have a good day. Moving on to the next topic.

Back in 2020 you were one of the first to test the potential for damage and passive protection in SP environments. The way a shield passively stops a projectile, why not a weapon hit.

Passive shield defencePassive weapon damage

There are questions that could be debated on this topic, however a halfway application between reality and playability would be that yes the shield stops the hit in passive mode but the damage to the structural integrity of the shield should be higher... how much higher? that would have to be debated.

As for directional attacks while blocking I'm more sceptical now because new animations and so on would have to be introduced. However I've always thought that in SP environments, passive damage from spears/lances (while no "ready" animation release) while maintaining a shield block could be an interesting addition to the behaviours within shieldwall formations for the AI and also for the player.

Both cases (passive damage and protection) are possible and feasible.

They don't block all the damage but does reduce damage in bannerlord, at least when the shield is on your back.
In Warband, a shield on your back in SP reduces projectile damage to the back significantly, almost entirely, and it gives you a little text message saying "Hit shield on back!". In MP, it only reduces damage to the back slightly, and it doesn't produce the same message.

However, what I was actually talking about was that in Warband, if you are running around with a shield, NOT holding right mouse button to be actively blocking, the shield will still block incoming projectiles passively. You can even be in the middle of an attack animation, and if a projectile hits your shield, it will absorb the projectile and cancel out your attack, ending your attack animation and resetting you to a neutral position.

A common occurrence of shields blocking projectiles passively in Warband is when cavalry are couching, and archers try to shoot at them but end up hitting the shield instead. Couched lances are the only attack that don't get canceled when the coucher's shield gets hit by a projectile.

The weird thing about it though, is that the area that passive shield blocking covers neither matches the visual dimensions of the shield, nor the area that it would usually cover when being used to actively block with. I don't really know why it is that way.

Yes and no.
No, because calculations are already being done for projectiles arrows etc.
Yes it is more calculations. Worst thing is if you have 500vs500 and each unit takes a swing. You would have to do a check for each melee swing of said unit. That's a lot of calculations. Ofc they can come up with some skinny code to make those calculations less stressful, but it's still a lot. How it could be done is:
if hitPart = leftarm then hitShield().
This would add only 1 check and only to arm hit, but would totally ignore the shield and only increase arm armor.

However in RBM we can see that shields are passively blocking melee swings. If you equip shield on your back (don't draw it) then it blocks swings from behind. Just as you want it to. Now imagine we change placement of said shield to rest on your left hand instead of on back. This would make the shield block passively both melee and ranged (and I didn't notice any major problems in RBM fps). So problem here would be the units using both parry and passive blocking, but hey. Who knows how it would go. Maybe it's not such a bad idea after all? To experiment it, you can add an archer shield to an infantry unit and then remove their original shield.
Extensive experiments were already done (see my previous post) duration of battle was increased by 25% (with combat module + AI module, large group of recruits vs large group of recruits).

Back
Top Bottom