Atli's cave: difficult to get through

Users who are viewing this thread

Beron

Sergeant
Hi,

as to the Subject. Please, give me a cheat. just give me a cheat.

is really difficult, alone with Bodo, basically w/out armor, to get all three groups done. When I get to the last, with Atli and this other Bodyguard and other three, I always get killed, even if  I try to get only one at the time at me by exploiting the not so smart AI and hiding in the ship harboured in the fjord. After the 1.03 they got smarter and slip two by two on the boat, and i get killed. And killed, and again. and again.  :shock: How many times I did try now? 30? 50?

I vaguely remember a topic on it, but I don't find it anymore with the search function. The ctrl+alt+f4 I think it was, or just the ctrl+f4, but i does not work.. any idea why?

Please, give me a cheat. just give me a cheat.

What's that do?

I had good mail and a good sword when I did it.  Also Reginhard came along, and he'd levelled some and also had mid-range equipment.  I dunno what it is that determines companions during those scenes (and ones like the Roman Ruins which was approaching ridiculous).  Leadership?  Level?  Scripting for each event?

Beron said:
I vaguely remember a topic on it, but I don't find it anymore with the search function. The ctrl+alt+f4 I think it was,

you can do it without any cheats. However, if you want to, this is the way:

1) Before starting the game (launch panel), open configuration
2) Enable (tick) the enable cheats box
3) In-game use CTRL+F4 to kill one enemy (you can hold it or use multiple times). CTRL+ALT+F4 will kill every enemy alive. If they respawn new ones, repeat.

But do try to learn the game as this is just the begging and you will have to cheat alot over the story if you cant win this instance. Ideas: get better relations with your companions (so you wont be alone there), get better gear for them, level them up and work on your companions skills (as you do for your own char).

Cheers

I remember someone saying you can climb up the cliffs where the AI can't get to you,
and stab the enemies from a safe distance. He requested that 'cheat' changed.
I'll gladly do it, but apparently there is no need to make this more difficult...

Wear medium armor.  Place your companions in front of the cave opening and allow them soak up javelins/spears and to distract the bulk of the rushing enemies.  Attack from the side until your companions are killed.  Then just backpeddle down the beach while bashing their heads in.  Carry two shields, and two 1H weapons in case one breaks.  It can be done and it's very easy once you get the hang of it.  I've beaten the cave with a starting character and an axe with 29c power and no armor but it takes some practice.  On highest difficulty with stamina/armor penalty enabled  :grin:

kalarhan said:
1) Before starting the game (launch panel), open configuration
2) Enable (tick) the enable cheats box
3) In-game use CTRL+F4 to kill one enemy (you can hold it or use multiple times). CTRL+ALT+F4 will kill every enemy alive. If they respawn new ones, repeat.

But do try to learn the game as this is just the begging and you will have to cheat alot over the story if you cant win this instance. Ideas: get better relations with your companions (so you wont be alone there), get better gear for them, level them up and work on your companions skills (as you do for your own char).

Cheers

I tried that already this way you describe it, but it won't kill anybody, I don't understand. shift+f4?

I guess I should not cheat. I should start adventuring and get better gear, better relation with the folk following me, and better gear for them too. And then I will come back to the cave. And I will cheat. Give me  a cheat. Just give me a cheat

:lol: :mrgreen:

Beron said:
I tried that already this way you describe it, but it won't kill anybody, I don't understand. shift+f4?

Do not activate cheats by using CAMP -> GAME OPTIONS. You need to do that before you start the game, before the loading textures, etc.

Steam -> play game -> Configure (do not click on Play Mount & Blade) -> Enable cheats (tick the box) -> click OK -> Now click on Play Mount & Blade

Idibil said:
If you are playing storyline, use cheats to kill enemies could break tiggers to continue storyline.

In the other hand, You can low damage in options and other difficult settings.

Also you can use "Control + H" to restore your health.

I've beaten the level against average AI, with fastest speed, standard damage, stamina system on and no companions (the bastards!).

First, remember that each wound is dangerous, since wounds lower your stamina even more and multiple enemies will surely manage to wound you.  If you fight against a big bunch - you will lose, even with the berserker armor on or by going backwards, since there are several archers (your biggest problem and main threat here) that will probably hurt you at some point.

The trick is to take out your enemies one after another.

To do this, you have to know that in this level you can access your inventory at any moment by simply pushing I. This will allow you to change your equipment in game - like if it was Metal Gear Solid 3.

So, at the beginning of the level, unequip everything and approach the cave naked.

Once the first bunch of enemies starts to pursue you, you will be faster and probably you'll still have a decent amount of stamina to fight them later.

When the enemies start to pursue, you'll have to climb above the cave entrance and wait there - enemies, even the archers, will try to climb it to reach you but they will hardly manage to do it in groups, so you'll be able to kill them in single duels. Of course, when you are waiting to fight in the highground, reequip the heavy armor, the shield, and the berserker sword or a decent axe. Repeat the procedure with all the groups of vikings in the cave - everytime you are charged, get naked and run for the high ground!

It may not be a clean way to win, but cheats or lowering difficulties are no cleaner, if you ask me.  :smile:

PS Remember to provoke your enemies by showing yourself from the high ground, sometimes, but at the same time, watch out for arrows or spears. If you're a good thrower, you may try to take out some of the attackers from a safe position (ammo will be restored each time you access the inventory).

I managed that cave without a cheat.

1. All companions with relations of 15 or higher will follow you into the cave. You can increase relations with your companions by giving them gifts (3000 penings). This is a dialogue option you have with every companion. You just have to grind enough money and you could theoretically take them all with you. Depending on your previous choices in the storyline you shoul have already with one or two relatively high relations (for me it was Bodo and Brunhild, because I was following the noble/high honour route as a good Christian). You should get higher relations with Egil, maybe Reginhard and/or Solveig when you are following more of a "might makes right"/aggressive path.

If you need money, trade. Take 27 men, not more.
a) Buy furs in the Danish villages (Hustha By, Haida By, Ribe By South, Skyffa By, Vejborg By, Ribe By North) 30 to 100 penings. Kill any thieves, who are conveniently on your way and sell them and their loot. High pathfinding helps. Sometimes you get the chance to buy amber. Buy it as long as it is under 300. Sometimes you get the chance to buy wool. Buy it as long as it is around/under 300. If the furs are around 200 penings in Ribe itself, you can buy them there, too. Sell any wool for about 400.
b) Sail to Northvegr. Buy timber and furs in the Norwegian villages. Kill any thieves conveniently on your way and sell them and there loot.
c) Sail to Alban (Scotland), the port across of Edinburgh (cannot remember its name right now). Start selling timber and furs in the cities. Fur not under 351 penings. Timber not under 260 penings. For amber you usually get around 345. Go into the hinterland and buy wool in the villages usually for 30 to 130 penings. Sail down the east coast of Great Britain. Stop at any city and village. In the villages buy wool. If you get cheese under 50, buy it. If you get dried meat under 80 buy it. If you get hides under 250, buy them. Flax bundles are ok for under 200. Sell meat and cheese in cities for over 150 (meat) and 80-90 (cheese), hides for around 400, flax for around 340. Sell fur and timber, usually one or two units, because prices are otherwise dropping too far. Go also to Jorvik, maybe Tomtun and then track back to your ship. Stop by the villages. Stop by Lundenwic, and maybe walk to Chippenham and Cirren Ceaster. Do not sell wool under 350. When you reach Cantwaraburh your inventory should be full of wool and without any timber and furs. In Cantwaraburh you should get a decent price for wool, sometimes even 500. Sell wool until the price drops to around 380. On this way kill the thieve bands or renegades, who are conveniently on your way. Sell them and there loot.
d) Sail back to Ribe. Sell the rest of your wool (around 400) and the rest of the occasional hides and flax bundles. Rinse and repeat.

Important: Whenever you want to sell prisoners, check in the tavern, whether a slave trader is there. If yes, you will get more money from him than selling your prisoners to the standard slave trader you find on the docks of port citys or to Aethelmaer in Chippenham.

This is an easy way to make lots of money. When you are getting further along in the storyline Friese should become accessible again. Then sell all your wool in Dorestad. They are paying 800 there. Even if you have sold all your wool, they will still pay over 600. Then buy salt in the villages and the city there and sail to Ribe.

If you are more into pillaging, villages seem to yield a good amount of money, but I cannot confirm that. I always play "good guys".

2. Give those companions, who are following you into the cave (see point 1.) good equipment. Good armour is paramount (mail, shield, helm), as well as a good melee weapon. I suggest a long axe.

3. First do the part of the quest revolving around Ulf's farmstede, spoilers follow:
Chose the option to fight Orm Svarti and kill him. then chose the option to take his armour and sword. His sword is great, as is his armour.

4. Equip yourselve with a blue steel byrnie (best medium armour), preferable with an attribute like stury or reinforced or thick. Use agood shield (Elf's shield for instance) and a get Elf's helm. If you wantr to know how to get them look into the spoiler:
Enter the Roman Fort (not the Strange Ruins!) in Cornubia (Cornwall). Talk to the man and solve al of his riddles (those are nice but easy). Lose 5000 silver and get a really good helm (the best I found so far) and a really good shield (dito).

4. Order your companions to stand back (hold position). Get the enemies in the cave to follow you back to your companions. This should give your companions a chance to use ranged weapons. While your companions deal with the melee attackers, kill the ranged weapon guys. Then get back to help your companions. Hitting an enemy from behind deals critical extra damage. Use
Orm's sword.
If your shield was damaged (even if not completely destroyed) better take a new shield from the fallen enemies. (Do not worry, you still will have your good old shield in the inventory after the battle). The second wave is small, three guys, one just throws rocks. They are easily dealt with. If necessary take a new shield. Move into the cave for the third wave. Rinse and repeat.

I hope that helps.

for those who want it easy without using cheat try edit your character
it on export import.
try to level from 1 to 61 and rise all stat to max 63 (agi, str, dex, int) and all stat 10 with weapon skill 440 (no need for 480 because it will be there when playing)
level will go to 64 (up 3 level) from 61 and to next level exp will be 200
do forget to make your money 88888888 (can be more but may crash the game)

i think this way is better then cheating because it still challenging but bearable. and you do not need to earning money, just focus on playing (but those who want hard earn money then just edit the stat while leave the money alone)

the file to edit are on mount&blade warband/character folder
fine your character name

how to edit
1: open the target forlder
you can skip step 2 if you already have save character (not save game)
2: open game, play and open your character. find "statistic" click export to save and import to load
3: alt + tab to switch back to folder, find your character name
4: IMPORTANT (for those who do not know what is for what)
open your character.txt (example mine is AoiUsagi.txt)
Please ONLY edit
xp = xxxx (fill this with exp to next level -1 example lv 1 to lv 2 need 1200 then you put 1199)
money = xxxx (fill this with any number but please do not more then 88888888 or it may be error/crash)
attribute_points = (will this with any number to spend on your atribute, max str,agi,dex and int is 63)
skill_points = (will this with any number to spend on your skill, max for all skill is 10)
weapon_points = (will this with any number to spend on your weapon, max for all skill is 480)
strength = (put 63 if you want to play fast, but this some do not work. solution rise your level from 1 to 61 without skipping a level)
agility = (put 63 if you want to play fast, but this some do not work. solution rise your level from 1 to 61 without skipping a level)
intelligence = (put 63 if you want to play fast, but this some do not work. solution rise your level from 1 to 61 without skipping a level)
charisma = (put 63 if you want to play fast, but this some do not work. solution rise your level from 1 to 61 without skipping a level)

hope this help a little.

thanks you all for the replies, I got many interesting ideas and hints.
thanks to Kalarhan and DerHerbst: it is correct, you need to switch "cheats" on before you start the game in order to use CTRL+H, CTRL+F4 or CTRL+ALT+F4.
ALT+F4 is still not a good idea  :lol:

this quote describe it at best:
kalarhan said:
Beron said:

Do not activate cheats by using CAMP -> GAME OPTIONS. You need to do that before you start the game, before the loading textures, etc.

Steam -> play game -> Configure (do not click on Play Mount & Blade) -> Enable cheats (tick the box) -> click OK -> Now click on Play Mount & Blade

So I managed to get to the end of the quest, and although it was some time between my post and this attempt where I could cheat (I did not have time to play), I confess I was not pleased at all :shock: .
not because of the Story! that is cool, kudos to Adorno/Idibil and the other, but I was not that keen to prosecute the game after I had so blatantly cheated.. so I am really going to adventure a bit, and when I am stronger I come back to the cave. It gives more satisfaction and adventuring is also fine, furthermore, it is obvious that the developer meant to give to you a challenge, and eventually to upgrade your character level, gear, and companions before you get through Devils-Cave, or Odins Cave, or Devils cave (for me at least, fits well, since I am also playing christian this time  :grin: ).

Gentlemen,
good game.

Beron

florinteal said:
:lol:

i have a mail now and I made it, alone with Bodo (also full armored) at the first time...
amazing what the right armor can do.

yes, I made it also a bit gamey, I went in the ship and shooted arrows at the feets of the last five/six men group, than I confronted the last three of them one after the other. But without the mail, no way.

Back
Top Bottom