Artillery discussion thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Servitor

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Hello,

I thought to have heard something about a cannon, firing burning pots, (Due the lack of flame particles)? Have I heard that right? And if yes, Is it still here?

Thanks,  :wink:
Servitor

(This topic will be locked when the answer has been given/denied)

There was, but it was just a ten-minute hack I forgot to remove version 0.6 after experimenting with it. It isn't in version 0.75, but I hope to have artillery working in 0.80.

I'm unlocking this so we can discuss the general concept of artillery in M&B. Any ideas, suggestions, etc., can be posted here.

actually that's somewhat what I've been planning, making an entire new race, Artillery, so each gun can be an NPC. That eliminates a lot of problems, leaving a few like splash damage and multiple kills but taking care of most of the problems. the problem is that I can use agent_set_hit_points to set troops within a certain radius to 0, but they won't actually die untill they get hit by another troop.

if possible make cannons work as horses, so you can mount and unmount them
but make sure you cant use any weapons while "riding" the cannon, so you have to unmount the cannon before you can defend yourself.

If I make a cannon as a horse, a) it can't attack anyone, and b) it will begin running about the battle field as soon as it's dismounted. Right now I think cannons will be pretty much stationary.

wouldnt it be possible to make a secret weapon that the player carries around but isnt shown in the inventory, that activates when he mounts a cannon, and then put the cannons max speed to 0 so it cant move.

Interesting idea, and while carrying an item won't be able to reset stats, I will add a variable that you must be carrying cannon tools to fire one.

The cannons don't even need to be usable weapons, do they?  In Brother Against Brother, you play as an officer, and as far as I know, even artillery officers didn't actually shoot the guns themselves.

If an artilery general goes over to a cannon and tells the crew to move aside, so he can try firing it, the crew moves aside, they dont start going: "no your class doesnt have the right skill to fire a cannon. you should have picked cannon crew when you signed up" :wink:

and besides, its a hellofalot more fun to stand there using the cannon compared to just ordering the crew to fire it

All right, I guess it would be okay to be able to shoot the cannons yourself.  :grin:  I'm warning you though, JHermes, it's gonna be a lot more work this way!  :wink:

Is it possible to have an "archer" shoot 100 arrows within 2 seconds and then do nothing for a couple of minutes (reloading)? That would be like grapeshot fire, making artillery useful without "splash" damage.

No, unfortunately not. The only possible way to do that is to set the individual shoot speed very high so it can fire projectiles in very quick succession, but at speeds of more than 100 the projectiles often clip through collision meshes without taking any damage.

No. Moddable hitboxes and damage logic would be nice but that won't happen until .850 at least.

has any one thought of making artilliry a mount, like it doesnt reely even have to be hooked up to the skelton cuz it wont be moving to much, like I know u cant make a mount shoot but possibly make the item for a cannon nothing or mabye even a match thingy or an aiming stick and make it so its only usable when on mount: cannon this way it wont be like people are running aroung with cannons awkwardly in front of them or moving with their arms

I personnally think its a wicked idea oh and sorry if someone already submitted this cuz i only read 1st page (lazy)

Back
Top Bottom