Army cohesion problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

DaniXskillZ

Recruit
When i assemble an army it keeps breaking up because my army cohesion keeps depleting. How do i keep that from happening?

It's a natural mechanic to prevent players from permanently fielding an army of every lord and being basically undefeatable because you have so many troops. The cohesion decay might reduce after raising leadership though.

It's a natural mechanic to prevent players from permanently fielding an army of every lord and being basically undefeatable because you have so many troops. The cohesion decay might reduce after raising leadership though.
Well then how do I tell my army to **** off and stop following me?

I don’t want to disband I just wanna call em when I need em and let them roam until then. If I disband what happens to the companion and his troops?

The larger your army and the longer you keep them in the field the more influence it takes to keep them together. Higher leadership skill reduces the amount of influence required to call and keep your banner-men. If you have a family member or a companion you can task them with leading their own force (through the clan management menu). Your family member and your companion parties are free to call and free to maintain, i.e. no influence required - you can field family members' and companions' forces indefinitely.

It's nice to have a big family :smile:

The larger your army and the longer you keep them in the field the more influence it takes to keep them together. Higher leadership skill reduces the amount of influence required to call and keep your banner-men. If you have a family member or a companion you can task them with leading their own force (through the clan management menu). Your family member and your companion parties are free to call and free to maintain, i.e. no influence required - you can field family members' and companions' forces indefinitely.

It's nice to have a big family :smile:

While partly true, there is an inaccuracy to this:

Influence and cohesion are two separate mechanics. The former is used to assemble the army, and the latter is how you keep it together.

In short:
-Family members take no influence to call to arms, lords do.
-Cohesion is depleted regardless of who is in the army, it is a natural mechanic resembling "I don't want to campaign for so long" idea of this period. (wonky but it is what it is)
-When cohesion depletes, all members of the army go their own ways. You can then spend the influence necessary to call them to arms again, and the cycle repeats.

You can get cohesion back in the army creation menu, by clicking the +10 button next to "Cohesion". I absolutely don't understand the point of this, and took me some time to notice, doesn't seem to have any drawback atm
20200411052628_1.jpg

While partly true, there is an inaccuracy to this:

Influence and cohesion are two separate mechanics. The former is used to assemble the army, and the latter is how you keep it together.

In short:
-Family members take no influence to call to arms, lords do.
-Cohesion is depleted regardless of who is in the army, it is a natural mechanic resembling "I don't want to campaign for so long" idea of this period. (wonky but it is what it is)
-When cohesion depletes, all members of the army go their own ways. You can then spend the influence necessary to call them to arms again, and the cycle repeats.
You can get cohesion back in the army creation menu, by clicking the +10 button next to "Cohesion". I absolutely don't understand the point of this, and took me some time to notice, doesn't seem to have any drawback atm
20200411052628_1.jpg
This is what I was referring to John Shepard. Clicking the +10 when you have only clan members in your army doesn't cost you any influence (doing this with non clan members in your army does and the amount of influence it costs to get that +10 cohesion increases the longer your army is in the field). Cohesion only depletes when you allow it to. You don't need to allow the army to disband.
giphy.gif

It's pretty much indefinite, and even with lords, it's not really expansive, especially if you got your fair share in prisonners with the army, you can maintain as you want.

I meant I don't get the point of the whole system, I think cohesion should just be raised by camping/waiting while maintaining good morale and food to simulate a reorganisation of the army, or something like that, rather than going spam a +10 button every now and then.

It's pretty much indefinite, and even with lords, it's not really expansive, especially if you got your fair share in prisonners with the army, you can maintain as you want.
Not really. The larger your army the more influence it takes to keep it together, and the longer you're in the field the more influence it takes (also, I think your level of either leadership or stewardship affect the amount of influence needed).

If you have an army of 600+ including 5 other lords (not companions or family members), within a week of campaigning it will take a lot of influence to keep them together, and it seems that cohesion drains faster and faster the longer you're campaigning.

I meant I don't get the point of the whole system, I think cohesion should just be raised by camping/waiting while maintaining good morale and food to simulate a reorganisation of the army, or something like that, rather than going spam a +10 button every now and then.
This isn't a horrible idea, but currently in this game it is very easy to keep morale high and maintain food supplies. Having this as the way to keep cohesion would make armies last forever.

This isn't a horrible idea, but currently in this game it is very easy to keep morale high and maintain food supplies. Having this as the way to keep cohesion would make armies last forever.
While that is true, it would also slow down armies as they would have to rest if they wished to continue fighting effectively. Force marching a massive army across the land would also give another logical reason for troops to dessert.

Not really. The larger your army the more influence it takes to keep it together, and the longer you're in the field the more influence it takes (also, I think your level of either leadership or stewardship affect the amount of influence needed).

If you have an army of 600+ including 5 other lords (not companions or family members), within a week of campaigning it will take a lot of influence to keep them together, and it seems that cohesion drains faster and faster the longer you're campaigning.

Yeah, it's theoretically not indefinite, while in practice i'm at 30k + influence right now, and at +60 a day, so it would take ages for me to deplete my influence. Clan only I can have 500 men for free, if I had a warlord wife I could even have more, and with the prisonners i'm able to take with that, I can field an 1000 men army almost as long as I want. I find food procurement much more of a problem with that much mouths to feed than influence to maintain the army

Yes, I noticed too that it seems to deplete faster overtime, dk how much time it would take to become unsustainable, but overall this is much more of a AI armies limitation than a player limitation, with 500 elite men I can take almost any opposing army or settlement anyways

Also I have the impression that lords you're in good relations with seem to be cheaper

While that is true, it would also slow down armies as they would have to rest if they wished to continue fighting effectively. Force marching a massive army across the land would also give another logical reason for troops to dessert.
Oh for sure. Adding the need to wait/camp isn't a bad idea (perhaps accelerated cohesion drain if not resting), but if it's just that and keeping good food stocks and high morale... Armies would never disband.

Yeah, it's theoretically not indefinite, while in practice i'm at 30k + influence right now, and at +60 a day, so it would take ages for me to deplete my influence. Clan only I can have 500 men for free, if I had a warlord wife I could even have more, and with the prisonners i'm able to take with that, I can field an 1000 men army almost as long as I want. I find food procurement much more of a problem with that much mouths to feed than influence to maintain the army

Yes, I noticed too that it seems to deplete faster overtime, dk how much time it would take to become unsustainable, but overall this is much more of a AI armies limitation than a player limitation, with 500 elite men I can take almost any opposing army or settlement anyways

Also I have the impression that lords you're in good relations with seem to be cheaper
I cannot argue with any of this.
giphy.gif

It's there so you are able to field your army for longer, depending on the amount of influence you have, but not indefinitely.
Yes, I confirmed today that it does indeed use influence to activate the +10 to army cohesion button even though there is no "influence change" counter shown for that function. On the left there is an influence change counter for selecting new armies, but there isn't one for increasing cohesion. The TW team will need to make that more apparent with updates in the future.

Back
Top Bottom