Arena

Users who are viewing this thread

Piddyx

Recruit
I like the area, but it is only useful at the begining of the game. How about making it so that you can go on to harder levels that will allow you to win more and bet more money? Perhapse advanced levels can be uneven fights (like 5 vs 3).

Also, I think that if you are an archer in the arena you should have a weak auxilliary weapon, like a dagger or hand axe.

Yeah, if your archery skill is low your success in the arena as an archer is 90% dependant on the performance of your comrades. Although, if your 1handed skill is low, you can still do almost as well with a 1handed sword in the arena as you could if it were high. Archers really suffer the most from a low skill level because you can't hit crap AND the damage is low. Plus, i don't know if i'm the only one who's experienced this or not, but for some reason when i go to attack an enemy archer in the arena, even with a decent athletic skill (and having started the arena battle naked as to take advantage of that little bug) enemy archers are able to outrun me backpeddling. Its not so much that they outrun me, its more like they kinda glitch a little and teleport backwards slightly...never seen it happen in a battle, but then again, once you close the range in a normal battle they pull out a melee weapon.

How about making it so you can choose what weapon to use? (bow, sword or polearm) and make the game auto-balance it? how about choosing wether or not to use a horse? (and also make the game auto-balance it)
you could also choose what your allies will use and let the game auto-balance it too, same for choosing horses for your allies

One thing that i like about the arena is its randomness. Because of this it forces you to adapt to any given situation. I like that its seldom actually balanced, makes it perfect practice. So i wouldn't really like being able to choose setup. So long as i'm not an archer when my archery skill is low, i'm happy.

Piddyx said:
I like the area, but it is only useful at the begining of the game. How about making it so that you can go on to harder levels that will allow you to win more and bet more money? Perhapse advanced levels can be uneven fights (like 5 vs 3).

Also, I think that if you are an archer in the arena you should have a weak auxilliary weapon, like a dagger or hand axe.

I'd really like to see this as well, since at this point the money won in the arena is a pittince. I just usually do it to randomly waste like 20 minutes. Being able to enter into higher level contests, be it larger, harder, or unbalanced battles would be great. I definitly think the armerments a player spawns with should remain random though as thats half the fun.

Also I agree with you, before you get a decent archery skill, spawning as a foot archer is a 50/50 thing. And since your team AI often falls pray to certain bugs that exist in the arena, and their overal lack of tacticle skill, it often turns out that your all by yourself after a few minutes facing down several charging swordsman/lanceman with only a terrible 40 points in bow. Its basically impossible to win at that point, even with a really good athletics skill. I dont know what can be done about that, but giving an archer a very bad melee weapon might not be to unbalancing especially if it was a dagger, or a knife, that way they couldnt really block.

Personally I'm against the Arena. I hate it. All it does is make me swear.

The 10 gold prize money is pathetic.

I've found that betting is a waste of time. So far every time I've bet 50 or more on myself I've ended up in some untenable situation (for example on foot with a sword and no shield against mounted archers and jousters). The random nature of weapon and horse just, in my opinion, sucks.

Now if the prize money was (1) significant and (2) linked to the difficulty of the match and the mismatch of weapons and horses then I'd play.

I'd also like to see archery taken out of the arena completely. I'd like to see a seperate target competition for archers.

Cheers
Craig

wouldnt it be good if you could chose which number a roulette ball falls on?

:wink: its called gambling

i think prize possibililty must be upped. it surely will. but randomness is all about gambling. i mean, its more often than not easy to win. especially if you start with a lanceor longsword on a horse. footsoldier archer just sucks **** caus thereNO way to block so as soon as an enemy gets near, your automatically dead

I like the randomness of the arena; I think it makes it a little more exciting. Therefore I wouldn't want to be able to choose the weapon you had.

A few different weapons could be nice too, like pole-arms or crossbows.

yeah especailly after you've chase down an archer on horse back only to get shot in the face because you have no shield, and couldn't pick one up off the ground (from a dead enemy or ally) along with a sword. :roll:

I think it's fine... if a little too small in gain to bother with. I agree that archers should get daggers or hatchets, been there before - even with my hunter character.

a archery side tournament would be cool with different prizes depending on the difficulty of your shot ie 3.1

but yea a archer is pretty much dead if someone happens to run faster then you

i think that we need more weapons in area along with bigger battles so far the biggest i have seen is 3 vs 3 if there was a ten on ten to help people get ready for the battles they will fight in war would help alot.

I think I rather like it the way it is. I do wish I could form my own "tournament" team of heroes (assuming some function to get additional NPC heroes is incorporated - hint, hint) but I'd keep the assignment of weaponry random. It just seems very hard for my NPC heroes to keep pace with my development if I spend time in the arena and I'd like them to be able to practice their martial skills as I do.

yeh being able to make your own team would be cool but i think that axes, staffs, javlens would be cool in the area

The current tournament is fun the way it is, useful in the begining of the game for making small sums of money, fun when you just want a few quick, no-risk battles, so I suppose it does suit it's purpose.

However, it could be SO much more. Seriously. There could be different types of tournaments, something like a basic joust (two lancers on a strip, charging at each other, quick and painful), some sort of archery competition, and lots of customization and options for the main arena. It'd be great if you could choose from multiple types of battles, the basic 2v2 or 3v3, larger battles like 5v5 or 10v10 that offer more prize money, perhaps stacked battles like 2v5 that offer real nice money, perhaps a 'championship' tournament, fighting increasingly difficult battles until you're declared king of the arena, perhaps you win a special item or something. Maybe the ability to form your own team, using people like Borcha to fight beside you. Deep customization of the arena would be hella sweet, almost as cool as a full-fledged skirmish mode.

I think the best alternative to a full fledged skirmish mode, would be to vastly improve upon the tournament.

Either/or would be fine to me. Preferably the skirmish mode, but if thats too much, a fully customizable arena would also be rockin'.

Back
Top Bottom