Archers; Too heavily armed

Users who are viewing this thread

Blackthorn said:
Archers are people too!
Again, read back, and there's a distinct difference between a militia archer (someone who has turned up for annual service with a bow or a crossbow) and a proffessional (a seasoned veteran who also shoots a crossbow or a warbow). The proffesionals will have been sparring with other troops, and seen their fair share of battlefields; siege warfare was a 12th-13thC staple, and a man who couldn't fight once the walls were reached weren't much use. Therefore expect veteran proffesionals to wear armour, wield shortarms and be about as useful as their infantry compatriots in melee.
The first troops Richard I raised for the Third Crusade were mercenary crossbowmen, because an experienced commander knows that a bunch of well-seasoned hard-hitters with bows can form the backbone to a decent army. Pretty much the evolution of warfare led to the ranged troops taking up more and more of the battlefield until they took it all.

Maybe people will be more willing to listen to you if you did not speak like a massive ass.

Jakob Zaborowski said:
Maybe people will be more willing to listen to you if you did not speak like a massive ass.
Since when is making concise and correct arguments anything like 'massive ass.' Couple that with the fact that idiots quite frequently resurrect threads like this only because they want to spew their ill-conceived notions of Hollywood-Medieval warfare and I'm sure you can imagine that someone who has actually put effort in studying the subject might get a little bit annoyed because they have to repeat everything they say at least thrice before the thread is left alone for half a month and the circus starts again.

Jakob Zaborowski said:
AWdeV said:
He didn't say either of those things in the post you quoted.

He had said them several times previous, I only quoted it so everyone knew who I was talking about.
And so logically you respond with an unprovoked ad hominem attack; how intelligent.

It irks me when the concise presentation of fact is misinterpreted as condescension.

... whereas you are both clearly witty and a gentleman. I salute your ability to mash at the keyboard with bile and ignorance. That must have taken your keyworker a long time to teach you.
x x x

I don't that they are to heavily armed, my reasoning is that they suck at most points and all you need is a shield anyway. I understand at some points they get to your breaking point because they just wont stop attacking you but its not that hard to kill them. Even your on troops aren't OP, it seems to me that the melee those all the work for me.

True i think that archers are not only to powerful in melee but also in range which is why i think they should:
1.have no clothes at all
2.have the ability to move taken away from them
3.Instead of a bow they have to use stones
4.no swords they can just use their bare fists!
5.only 10 hp
6.when ever they throw a stone they must take 60% of the damage they cause

after this i think those over powered basterds should be pretty balenced.

Looking at Norse culture, whom the Nords are based of, pretty much every child knew how to swing a sword, or just generally be effective in melee, and I don't think using a bow would impact that. Children trained from a young age in swordsmanship. They invented the predecessor of chess.

The Norse didn't generally get their armour from their homeland - they stole it in raids from other lands, like the Franks. Thus it makes sense for a Nord VETERAN (highest tier of archers in the Nord faction) Archer to be well equipped, as he'd have seen quite a few battles and probably would have a good brynie, as well as good sword skills and a good sword to go with it.
I think their Veteran Archer's effectiveness in melee makes up for the fact that they are one of the only factions to not have cav (besides Rhodoks, who just suck badly). Of course, a Veteran Archer shouldn't be able to fight as well as a Nord Warrior (both the same tier - 3rd), but I don't know if they can.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but the game is about Calradia, not the real world, so it doesn't have to be historically accurate. I think archers are fine the way they are now.

RedHaze said:
Looking at Norse culture, whom the Nords are based of, pretty much every child knew how to swing a sword, or just generally be effective in melee, and I don't think using a bow would impact that. Children trained from a young age in swordsmanship.
The sword was more common than people generally think among the vikings, but not as a war weapon but a status symbol. Most swords were not of very good quality, and some were of such poor quality as could only have been used as a status symbol for someone who couldn't afford better. Most used either axes or spears in combat. And though every free man had to own a weapon, to say that they were all trained from childhood is a bit of a stretch. They weren't particularly better or worse at fighting than anyone else in Europe.

They invented the predecessor of chess.
Hnæfatafl is not the predecessor of chess. Chess has its origins in India, and Hnæfatafl bears no resemblance to chess. For one thing, the sides are not equal: the white attackers outnumber and surround the red defenders. The white attackers' goal is to trap the red king (there whites have no king of their own), and the king's goal is to escape to one of the four corners.

The Norse didn't generally get their armour from their homeland - they stole it in raids from other lands, like the Franks.
While it is true that most of the Norse war gear were not made domestically, they were imported, not raided, from the Franks in particular.

Thus it makes sense for a Nord VETERAN (highest tier of archers in the Nord faction) Archer to be well equipped, as he'd have seen quite a few battles and probably would have a good brynie, as well as good sword skills and a good sword to go with it.
I think their Veteran Archer's effectiveness in melee makes up for the fact that they are one of the only factions to not have cav (besides Rhodoks, who just suck badly). Of course, a Veteran Archer shouldn't be able to fight as well as a Nord Warrior (both the same tier - 3rd), but I don't know if they can.
It does make sense for them to be well equipped, yes. Of course, when this thread was originally made, there was no Nord faction in the game yet. But the point still stands -- especially, as you point out, because they are the only non-cavalry faction in the game.

just a general request....
can we all stop saying 'vikings' when we actually mean "people of Scandinavian origins, who engaged in military activity between the 8th and 12th centuries"
just as we would not say 'bucaneers' to mean "people of British origins, who engaged in military activity between the 16th and 19th centuries"

Cristin said:
Archers are fine.Have a problem fighting one?Grab a good shield.
aye,just grab a good shield,take a pitch fork,stab the archer on the eye  :mrgreen:
actually,heavy armors doesn't matter to me since they're not so good at melee combat,and oh come on! have you ever seen the roman archers? they wear a heavy armor and it's historical accurate

Archers may have had a sword, which is what they are given in game. Crossbow men were more heavily armed, warband has pavaise crossbowmen who used a huge shield, and had a sword, in real life they were often rich men.

It's accurate, but even if it wasn't, warband is medieval themed, not medieval history.

Crossbowman should have crossbows with bayonets for close quarters! Not historically accurate? Screw that, it would still be awesome! :grin:

I 'suggested' that long ago because it did seem awesome. There's just one problem; the crossbowmen load by putting their crossbow to the ground; you'd get stuck with a bayonet. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom